I am a newb and love the syncing i hear about with BES. However I ... RIM Desktop Software forum

jbmagi no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    401a3331

Question Alternative to BES

Advertisement

I am a newb and love the syncing i hear about with BES. However I am starting my own company and money is very tight. Plus i am the only person in the company at the moment. My computer is very capable of handling being a server as it tecnically is a server just used for desktop functions now. Is there a third party program (free or cheap) to run a mini BES type set up or would this redirector program i have seen posts about work and what would you all recomend. I am trying to sync my 7100i with outlook 2007
    THanx
    JBMagi

diabloboi87 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    31cdb8ca

Re: Alternative to BES

jbmagi, RIM currently offers a BES solution that includes one CAL (IE handheld) for free. https://www.blackberry.com/express/?cp=ILC-BB1 is the address to sign up and download it.

PIN/ID
    401a3331

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Thanx for the data man I will check it out and yet and get it running tonight jbmagi

PIN/ID
    401a3331

Thanx for the data man I will check it out and yet and get it running tonight jbmagi

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

jbmagi, Welcome to PinStack.

Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help with this problem or your BB.

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

PIN/ID
    401a3331

I havent had a chance to look into it very far yet. Do you know if thee is a way to avoid running this with exchange as i do not own this. I was looking for a program that would stand alone to sync my bb and outlook on my pc
    JBMagi

Aroc no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24431D74

What are you using for email now?

On a side note, boy are you cheap!

PIN/ID
    401a3331

yep i am cheap. I am trying to avoid any unesesarry costs but increase spead and eficiency of communication. If exchange is cheap i could buy it i guess if that is the best option. I just dont really know alot about it (ie do i need another pc to run it or can it run on my pc i use for work and everything else. I do have parts for an old box around here i could put together. I will find out more soon
    JBmagi

diabloboi87 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    31cdb8ca

To run the BES server it requires Exchange, lotis notes, or domino.

I'm not sure about the latter 2 products but I know exchange isn't cheep. How ever to get the most out of your blackberry (ie contact sync, wireless reconciliation ect) you will need to invest in one of thoes products. Unfortunitly to set up a BES server you need more then just the BES software, it will require a copy for windows server 2003, exchange 2003 and BES. Which. You can get for free. Send me a pin if you want more info on what it will take to set you up. 23E173C0 is my pin

PIN/ID
    401a3331

thanx for your help diablo i may for now look into one of those hosted bes companies. and get the running as a project in the lonng run. I will also stay on the lookout for any 3rd party simple solutions and let you know if i find some

PIN/ID
    401a3331

do you all know anything about desktop redirector. i have found some sites talking about it but no where to download it

bbpvpn no está en línea Stack level 2

Isn't the desktop redirector installation an option when you install the BlackBerry Desktop manager? I use to use it sometime ago but can't really remember how we installed it. Works great though! the only thing is that I think you'll need to keep your computer on with your email on. But I might be wrong about. It's been a while since I've used. I now used a hosted BES solution... I think I pay like 10$/ month for the service which works great! Good luck!