Hello everyone, Im using the Telefonica Venezuela (if that's right) 4.2 OS for my 8700 ... RIM Desktop Software forum

ajmctaggart no está en línea Stack level 3

8700 running 4.2

Advertisement

Hello everyone,

Im using the Telefonica Venezuela (if that's right) 4.2 OS for my 8700 handheld. Quick question: I am on Tmobile but my BB is now unlocked (got the unlock code from TMO), Do I still need to delete vendor.xml? The reason I ask, is that some important looking modules for the 4.2 OS seem to be unrecognized and are in turn removed with the upgrade. Could this be because I deleted the vendor.xml, and it is no longer necessary to do so due to my unlocked device?

Any takers?

Thanks in Advance...

graphreak no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: 8700 running 4.2

Quote Originally Posted by ajmctaggart
    Quick question: I am on Tmobile but my BB is now unlocked (got the unlock code from TMO)
    SIM unlock doesn't necessarily mean your BB is rid of its TMO embedded firmware.
    Which remains on the device permanently.

Do I still need to delete vendor.xml?
    Answer: Yes
    The reason I ask, is that some important looking modules for the 4.2 OS seem to be unrecognized and are in turn removed with the upgrade.
    Perhaps some OTA or 3rd party apps. that you've installed are not getting re-installed?
    And every piece of old 4.1 OS is going to be removed anyway.

Could this be because I deleted the vendor.xml, and it is no longer necessary to do so due to my unlocked device?
    Answer: No.
    Module loading is controlled by the Blackberry.alx file (among other .alx files);
    and needs to be 'unlocked' from "vendorid" in case all 'themes' need to be installed

When the OS is upgraded, the Service Provider embedded firmware remains on the
    device despite the upgrade. Notice the TMO Flash screen everytime you boot-up your device?

Hope that helps.
    ~Graph
    8700g>DASH><8320><P1i><E71-2><G1>

ajmctaggart no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: 8700 running 4.2

THANKS!

(If the turnaround time in the Mac forum could be this good...)