Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

*** tried posting late last night! *** Excuse me if I don't sound excited but ... Smartphone News forum

IndoorGK00 no está en línea Stack level 2

Wes 2007

Advertisement

*** tried posting late last night! ***

Excuse me if I don't sound excited but I am totally exhausted!!!! This is touted as the wireless conference of the year and I have been moving non-stop since early this morning. For those of you unfamiliar with WES it is the Wireless Enterprise Symposium hosted by Research in Motion makers of the BlackBerry. What is unique about this conference is that RIM does not send ANY (ok there may be a couple lurking around) but there is NO VISABLE sales force. RIM host this conference in sunny Orlando Florida where they provide a place to learn how to make your corporate BlackBerry experience even better, also a place to find what third party applications are available for your BlackBerry and an awesome place to network. They come from all corners of the earth!!! Just imagine over 3,000 BlackBerry users in one location. I haven't heard the official number but I know they had 3,000 last year and I know there are even more this year. Its a sight to see!

I arrived around 8pm Sunday night, immediately checked in and met some of my friends that work for RIM for a late dinner. Things were a buzz and the lounge was packed with BlackBerry's EVERYWHERE. I felt at home......my friends were waiting for a table and once seated one of my friends who is a product manager said have you seen the Curve yet? Out came the Curve from 2 of the 3 and the odd man out was on the passe 8800. How quickly the tide turns! The Curve just FELT like they have finally found the right form factor for a full qwerty device. For those of you who like the sleek and sexy pearl there is no reason to jump on the band wagon unless you want a 2 mega pixel camera. All the people jumping from the 8800 towards the Curve are after the form factor and having the camera. Steady 8800 owners you forfeit the GPS with the Curve so don't rush to the Cingular store if you are dependant on that feature. Why can't it have it all? Also no Wi-fi and my friends in their cryptic speak said we will see it in months not years. All I could get out of them on wi-fi.

As you expect from a techie conference registration was a breeze and it was off to the general session. As a side not they had a nice conference schedule that you could make a USB connection to available desktops to download to your BlackBerry. Of course I said "What no OTA"???? The general session was packed and they had various speakers that are visionaries in the wireless arena but nothing earth shattering. Was nice to hear from the CEO of RIM Mike Lazaridis. Great speaker and one of the big topics was how far they have come in handhelds when they flashed pictures of the BlackBerry 850 and 950 and even mentioned something called a Bullfrog. Mr. Lazaridis also mentioned how he wanted to reach out to the consumer base by creating the Pearl. After the CEO came a panel discussion which highlighted a rep from SAP, TELNAV, Fidelity Investments and darn if I can remember the last name that rounded out the panel. The highlight of that panel was the charming personality of TELNAV's CEO HP Jin. Think they introduced him as one of the founders of GPS. Was interesting hearing him speak and as he said he goes to bed thinking of GPS and wakes thinking of GPS. Guess you had to hear him in his broken English.

Then for me it was sessions, sessions and more sessions. Then to finish the evening RIM hosted a party at the Hard Rock featuring Jim Belushi and the Sacred Hearts. The place was packed and lots of networking going on even at a concert setting. Every one walking around with BlackBerry's in hand texting, emailing and instant messaging. We BlackBerry addicts are such nerds. The food was great, open bar and even freshly rolled cigars for everyone who wanted them! Sorry if I bored you as you can tell I am no reporter but trying to share some of the things going on at WES.

Oh Oh forgot to mention I actually saw the Virtual Blackberry or BlackBerry Application suite. I don't think they have a final name yet. It was amazing!!! They had it running on 2 Windows Mobile 6 devices running on a HTC DASH and yes a TREO 750. Man was it sweet. The look and feel was totally BlackBerry! Looking at the screen you couldn't tell ANY difference. Same icons, look, feel and you even have a PIN. The only sign that it wasn't a true BlackBerry was the presence of a Windows icon. Click on that and you were back to the Windows Mobile experience and the Virtual BlackBerry was running in memory still available to receive notifications and email. All I can say is HOW SWEET IS THAT!!!! Get this TREO lover you even get TOUCH SCREEN navigation on the Virtual Blackberry side. Well it is late and it starts all again tomorrow! The evening for me is a Cingular Party at the House of Blues with The Gin Blossoms.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Re: Wes 2007

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ Thanks for the review. I would love to be able to attend this but its a bit far.I also thought it was only for corporate users.

Well it is geared towards the corporate users and they will benefit most from the sessions. But it is one of those things if you have the money burning a hole in your pocket to pay the price of admission and are a Blackberry addict it is worth seeing. There are booths for IM+, Yahoo!, Ask Me Now and BPlay to name a few who are not targeting the corporate user......

2-4Trippin no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by lxpaz
    Sorry if I bored you as you can tell I am no reporter but trying to share some of the things going on at WES.
    Great coverage lxpaz, thanks! Not boring at all, we appreciate how descriptive you are of what's going on. Great hearing about the technical stuff, the new hardware and the parties!

reesemachine no está en línea Stack level 2

hey lxpaz! here @ WES myself (much thanks to you early on for convincing me it was a worthwhile investment). I'm definitely coming back in '08. The breakout sessions and labs have been terrific for me personally. Over 3,000 people attending (and no, they're not all RIM employees

The keynote by Malcolm Gladwell today (author of Tipping Point and Blink) was Great! The focal point of his speech really drove home the point of decision making -- especially when in the context of a LARGE corporate culture that takes well over 14 mths (in Malcolm's example in speech) to compile and evaluate every single peice of data available. His "be nimble" remarks regarding data, decisions, and giving people the minimal information needed to make a decision are very valuable. I know rambling, but I guess you had to be at the keynote address to get the full effect.

Been attending just about every mobile applicaton development session here (heavy emphasis on MDS Studio), and have been very impressed with the company's contributing and showing real life examples of how they quickly integrated their enterprise apps for the BlackBerry to get their workforce one step closer to the "holy grail" of true mobility.

Can't say enough good things. No sales pitches, just great demos and sessions with peers.

Invaluable!

Just wanted to say I shared an elevator with Mike Lazaridis!! Too bad it was crowded would have loved to say hello. Nothing like rubbing elbows with the CEO of RIM. Father Blackberry!! LoL well off to the Cingular Party at the House of Blues! Hmmmm do the Gin Blossoms have more than one song? At least there will be free food and alcohol : )
    Oh and the Blackberry Curve is EVERYWHERE here!
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Also my RIM buddies tell me the unofficial attendence is 3,800. WOW!

Ok have to share this story with you! At the Cingular VIP Party with the Gin Blossoms at the House of Blues. The lead singer is telling all of us a story on how he is staying at the same hotel as the convention. He says he was at the pool and over hears 3 attractive women talking about the Cingular Party. One of them says "I don't even know who the F%$%ing Gin Blossoms are!" He said it took everything he had not to walk over to her. They dedicated one of their 5 hit songs to that girl so I guess he was a good sport about it. You know it isn't about the band but the intimate setting at the House of Blues and how often can you walk right up to the stage? The lead singer had people call their friends and would grab their BlackBerry's and sing to the person on the other end of the call. They ended the night with their song "Jealousy" and signed a few autographs.....woooo hooo. The party may have had 400 people attending. When I got back to the hotel I found out I definetly atended the wrong party!!! Verizon threw a party at the hotel and saw people walking out of there with 8830 World Phones, Ipod's, golf bag n putter and other goodies!!! We got the Gin Blossoms and a PICTURE FRAME. Come on Cingular show the love with some CURVES! Will see if I can find out the scoop on the T-Mo and Sprint parties.

Also another observation and my 2 cents. As the CEO of RIM pointed out, Mike Lazaridis, that the Pearl was targeting the consumer based market. I work in the HealthCare industry and we have now reached 500 devices in our organization. I can say we only have a handful of Pearls deployed. But here at WES the are EVERYWHERE!!!! I was amazed at how the corporate WORLD (literally) have taken to the Pearl. The 8800 and 8100 are running rapid here.....but i have to throw this out there for the POOR nextel users. When are they going to be shown the love? They are stuck with the 7100i and 7520! But then again the industries they thrive in need those [FONT=Verdana]indestructible[/FONT] models. Like I said, just my observation!!!

No major announcements made yesterday and am hoping some more anouncements are made on today the closing day of WES 2007. I administrate on the BES and also our corporate email. So I spent most of my days in the session that relate to BES administration and best practices. For you admins wondering if the event is worth it I would say worth every penny! I attended a seesion on how to Configuring the BES Management Database. Warren James was the presenter and what a session. Had one on High Availability on the BES and one today on MONITORING given by Jeff Holleran. Another great and knowledgable presenter. Did you know in a few weeks they are releasing, free, monitoring tools? They aquired a company that had a great product and are bringing it too us free of charge!!! Will verify the price because that is hard to believe. But I so NEED monitoring for my BES.

abaqueen no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    PMme4it

Thank you for the info and updates. This sounds awesome I would have liked to attend, perhaps something to look forward to next year.
    AngieB
    Pin:PMme4it

Surfing around I didn't know all the big boys like BlackBerry Cool and BGR would be reporting on WES2007. Hope I am not wasting peoples time......

gazar no está en línea Stack level 5

Ikpaz, You are not wasting peoples time !! I found it very interesting, your "man on the ground " info was almost as good as being there. ( but not quite as good LOl)

TechieGirl no está en línea Stack level 4

I am sooooo jealous. I would LOOOOVE To attend WES. One of our sales guys was there. I loved the commentary. Excellent work!
    Nikki
    iPhone 4S - work
    Samsung Galaxy SII - personal
    Supporting BB, android and iOs devices at work.

Toddboy71 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    T o' Bee

Keep giving us the skinny! Thanks for all the updates!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast