During the recent Federal Office Systems Expo at the D.C. Convention Center, Mr. Lazaridis, president ... Smartphone News forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

WashingtonTimes: "8800's lack of camera a plus"

Advertisement

During the recent Federal Office Systems Expo at the D.C. Convention Center, Mr. Lazaridis, president and co-chief executive of Research in Motion, explained that the 8800 doesn't have a built-in camera because in many corporations, enterprises and government agencies -- think of the Defense Department -- having a camera at hand isn't always a good thing.

This device, available from Cingular Wireless for as little as $299 with a two-year service commitment, elevates hand-held communications to a new level.

I hate to say it, but I have to imagine that my trusty Treo smart phones, the Palm Inc. products I've loved for so long, may have finally met their match...

Read More

Dirty Cash no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    3G

Re: WashingtonTimes: "8800's lack of camera a plus"

I have to agree that the appeal of possibly getting a 8800 is the fact of no camera. I'm in the USAF and many of the briefings I have attended won't allow any "recording" device in. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

li2327 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    30D2E555

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I could see where having a camera is not always a good idea but what's wrong with having an option? Even though bb was probably originally created for the business user that's not the case anymore.

drummer12 no está en línea Stack level 3

Well the 8800 can still technically "record" audio...

BBWrangler no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    219DFD90

li2327: Having an option would only work in situations like this if the camera could be physically (and in a visually obvious way) removed from the rest of the unit, which would make it clunky. Having end users try explaining that their camera is disabled by a policy set by their BES admin to security guards is not a realistic expectation, and doesn't do anything for those not on a BES who can't disabled the camera by policy.

Also, RIM's core market, and the bulk of their hardware and software sales are enterprise level, where this sort of thing is a major concern. The last two releases (the 1st two Pearls) from them had cameras, and the 870x models were starting to look a bit dull next to the 8100's, so RIM really needed to toss us enterprise users something to keep the execs and partners happy.

To give you an idea of how it's played out for us, out of about 103 Partners, 5 have Pearls. Most of those wanted it simply for the form factor, and have told us if their practice areas required them to go to court with any frequency, they'd probably switch to a non camera model just to avoid the hassle. The rest have a mix of 8800s, 8700's 8703's and a handful of 72xx devices.

Looks like (asides from the T-Mobile 8800) the next few models will have cameras, so they'll be well suited for the consumer market and the relatively few corporate users where a camera is an asset. If your 8703 is a Verizon, and the rumors are true, you may be able to upgrade soon. If you're a Sprint user, well, not so soon probably.
    It doesn't record video. Get over it.

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~camera's on Phones isn't that great anyway. So I could live without a camera on my bb.

li2327 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    30D2E555

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ To be honest you taught me a lot. I don't know much about the behind the scenes business aspect of blackberry. I guess the do have some good select models for the regular consumer. Thanks for the info. I look forward to upgrading.

mrcsbrooks no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    204b1dba

Well stated, a camera isn't alwaysa a plus