Like the Wall Street Journal? Enjoy catching up on the latest business news while on ... Smartphone News forum

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

Wall Street Journal to Charge Mobile Readers

Advertisement

Like the Wall Street Journal? Enjoy catching up on the latest business news while on the go via your iPhone, CrackBerry, or other mobile device? Love to spend money? Well then you are in luck! The Wall Street Journal is preparing to charge users for mobile access to its content according to Rupert Murdoch, owner of the paper and everyone’s favorite news mogul.

With newspapers all over the country struggling to remain afloat, owners are scrambling for new ways to squeeze money out of their publications. The WSJ is set to begin charging $2/week for non-subscribers and $1/week for subscribers for mobile access “in one or two months.”

Murdoch is no stranger to charging users for access. The Wall Street Journal began charging readers for online access to the paper some time ago, and remains one of the few traditional newspaper-turned-webpaper to succeed with paid content.

Source: Y-Tech

Here we GO! 2010 Mobile subscriptions $ for exclusive content. Rob Peter to Pay Paul.

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    That's not cool to charge your current subscribers....if you are already paying for full access, why pay again...I wonder how well this will go over.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

disturkis4u no está en línea Stack level 3
    The wsj app is great. Wish the financial times would upgrade theirs to be functional with no service though

And 2$ a week doesnt seem much but damn $100 a yr? Ouch
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; T-Mobile myTouch 3G Build/COC10) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1

PIN/ID
    Retired
    I don't mind paying for the items or content I like. I have only one requirement if I'm going to be paying. NO AD's !

RayZ no está en línea Stack level 5
    Just join Audible and you can get the audio version for free. You'll also get an audio book, the prices per month are reasonable too. I listen to a ton of audio books so it's a win-win for me.

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    I don't mind paying for access to content I enjoy either, or at the very least, supporting the company that produces it, but with the thousands of news outlets out there that give the information away for free, it just seems to me that charging an admittance fee isn't the best solution. In all honesty if you really want information from a WSJ article, just browse the net for the topic you want and I can almost guarantee someone has copied a portion if not all of it for their article, which likely came from the AP in the first place. Mobile applications such as Pandora have been hugely popular with free and paid versions of the same exact content. The difference is in ad-support. This approach has worked for a wide range of mobile content companies and better I'm willing to bet, then if they had simply charged a cover charge.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    I don't even mind a charge, if it's content I want, or if the periodical is a familiar one and I want to access it mobile...but don't charge subscribers twice...I know that they are not the only ones to do this, I have XM radio in my car, but that subscription does not allow me to listen online...I don't like that either..
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

StarMile no está en línea Stack level 3
    I do mind paying for something I've already paid for once... See ya Rupert, you crossed the line with this one.
    BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.124 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    everyone wants my money!!!!
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

PIN/ID
    Retired
    Here is a related follow up to this new breed of App and their relationships.
    via AppleInsider

One high-profile developer now has direct-line telephone access to Apple for App Store support; and The Wall Street Journal intends to charge iPhone users and others for access to mobile content soon.

Million dollar app gets direct support

After Apple was heavily criticized by some developers and pundits for its lack of communication regarding iPhone App Store policies, at least one developer reports that they have been given their own hotline to call when issues arise.

Mike Simon, CEO of LogMeIn, told The Register that his company was given a number by Apple that it can call when it has questions. The software is said to have earned more than $1 million in sales. Simon also said that he knows of at least one other company that has been given first-class treatment.

The report notes that both LogMeIn and the unnamed second application have been featured in TV and print ads from Apple touting the App Store. Simon said that his company's software was included in the advertisements and given the free publicity without any prior consultation. Apple has the right to do so within its developers agreement.

"When we opened up the Wall Street Journal and saw the ad, we were as surprised as anyone else to see our name there," Simon said.

In recent months, some developers have expressed discontent with Apple's App Store approval process. As the handset maker requires all software for the iPhone and iPod touch to be approved before it can be made available for download. Some who had their submissions rejected said the communication from Apple was not clear or fast enough for their liking. In response to some critics, Phil Schiller, the company's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing, personally responded to explain the situation and resolve issues.

The situation came to a head when the Federal Communications Commission inquired about Apple's non-acceptance of the Google Voice application. The software is still not available for the iPhone.

Wall Street Journal fees starting Oct. 24

Read More