I don't recall seeing this posted anywhere and it's potentially huge news, not only for ... Smartphone News forum

JjcampNR no está en línea Stack level 3

Thumbs up VMware Rocks Your Mobile

Advertisement

I don't recall seeing this posted anywhere and it's potentially huge news, not only for RIM but every other handset maker on the market as well. VMware has officially announced their Mobile Virtualization Platform (MVP), which just like on your server or desktop will separate the hardware and software layers to allow better compatibility for applications. Since VMware's marketing droids can spin it better than me, here's a quote:

" VMware MVP is a thin layer of software that is embedded on a mobile phone to decouple the applications and data from the underlying hardware. It is optimized to run efficiently on low power consuming and memory constrained mobile phones. The MVP currently supports a wide range of real-time and rich operating systems including Windows CE 5.0 and 6.0, Linux 2.6.x, Symbian 9.x, eCos, µITRON NORTi and µC/OS-II.

VMware Mobile Virtualization Platform will help handset vendors reduce development time and get mobile phones to market faster. In addition, end users will benefit by being able to run multiple personalities—for example, one for personal use and one for work use on the same phone."

While RIM's handheld OS doesn't look to have made the initial list, certainly development is under way since VMware is aiming this at the corporate market as well as the consumer.

More info on the VMware site: http://www.vmware.com/technology/mobile
    Device: 8100c / Apps: 4.5.0.69 / Platform: 2.7.0.72

Rrupert no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    238E3391
    hmm, sounds interesting
    9800 Torch
    I love my Berry!

MWPatterson no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Plz
    Will ask tomorrow, I am meeting with an Engineer from VMWare tomorrow. That is interesting.

divdev no está en línea Stack level 1
    While adding a layer of software abstraction might reduce time to market, there is a silent cost to users in the form of reduced software efficiency. Unlike PCs, phones are still pushing the envelope of processing power. If the goal is the best user experience, it is too early to make compromises on software efficiency. Beware the hourglass!

JjcampNR no está en línea Stack level 3
    VMware is where I first heard about this, been dying to relay the info here but couldn't until it came out from NDA. There's a lot more that's going on over at VMware that's insanely cool, can't wait to see it all hit the market in the coming years.
    Device: 8100c / Apps: 4.5.0.69 / Platform: 2.7.0.72