Following up on their " There's a map for that " ads that boast about ... Smartphone News forum

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!

Verizon's DroidDoes Web Page Takes a Stab at the iPhone & it's Limitations

Advertisement

Following up on their "There's a map for that" ads that boast about Big Red's 3G network, they are now taking another stab at the competition with their DroidDoes web page. It starts by telling you things like:

iDon't have a real keyboard
    iDon't run simultaneous apps
    iDon't take night shots
    iDon't allow open developement
    iDon't have interchangable batteries

etc. and then brings you to a page that says DROIDDOES and allows you to submit your email so you can be notified when release info is available, or in their words "Droid will notify you when compromise has been deactivated"

The site is best viewed via PC here, but if you want a peek at some screen shots, head to BGR.

What do you think of the campaign? Do you love the stab at Apple? Or do you think it's too early for an Android device to live up to that kind of smack talk?
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    I think they are going after ATT more than Apple.

Any stab at Apple is a stab at AT&T since it's their baby here in the states....but unlike the network commercial, this is a direct stab at the iPhone itself. We know some of those limitations can be overcome with jailbreaking, and some just don't matter to some people. I find the on screen keyboard fairly easy to type on, especially lansdcape, so the lack of a physical keyboard is not a deal breaker...the battery thing is though.....I like being able to tote a spare battery and quickly swap it as needed....
    Twitter? My Apps List

psi chick no está en línea Stack level 4
    i'm glad someone is finally going after the untouchable iphone. i'm so sick of people acting like this phone is the second coming or something. it has many flaws, just like every other phone out there, and it's time that apple acknowledged that. freaking apple fanboys act like it's the perfect device and anyone that says otherwise is the devil reincarnate.

i like apple's products, they're well designed and well executed. but there are many flaws (not to mention HUGELY overpriced for what you get) in them just like all products and it's time someone pointed it out.

can't wait to see the nut-hugger reaction to these ads, it's going to be epic. i can see another leave britnay alone type of video soon haha

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    When I first saw the Ad I thought it was pretty neat. Let's hope the phone turns out to be the same. I really wish the HTC HD2 was a Droid phone. It would rock!

The phone does look to be a great device and I can't wait for hands on reviews. I hope i'm able to actually use one myself. The keyboard looks interesting. It could turn out to be really neat.

I'm feeling the same as this Gizmodo post about the "i" Ads.
    Last edited by srl7741; 10-18-2009 at 12:10 PM.

rdills no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    I think its brilliant because controversy sales. Look at all the attention this has gotten already. Now here's the important part, you back it up with killer hardware. Like the Acer A1 Liquid. If they do, its game over.

I agree with gizmodo too, it's obvious, and not at all original. iRipping ioff ithe ieverything iis ijust idumb! It is getting attention, just not sure if the balance of good attention to bad is working in their favor. We'll see....
    Twitter? My Apps List

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    I'm not taking anything away from the phone tho it's looks stunning. I just think using the "i" campaign is lame. I suppose you could look at it as a complement if you were the staff who came up with the original for Apple. Original ideas are great, knock-offs tend to be?...... misplaced I guess.

Here is another good read supporting how good this device could be.

Here is the Ad azstar mentioned in the OP. If I'm not mistaken it runs Android v2.0 with a significantly upgraded user interface

Posted via smartphone
    Last edited by srl7741; 10-18-2009 at 09:11 PM.

calm_tiger no está en línea Stack level 5
    It's no surprise......when you are #1 everyone is gunning for you. All the haters just confirm it.
    Posted via smartphone

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    Don't worry guys. Verizon loves to shoot themselves on the foot or stick their shoes in their mouths. Perfect example: BB STORM. Just keep that in mind. They were crying it out loud to the four winds before it came out thinking it was gonna bring the iphone down but umm how can I put this nicely. It didn't .
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

li2327 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    30D2E555
    Ive had an android phone and now the iPhone. While the iPhone lacks a few features unless you jailbreak it, I still love it. I have never been this satisfied with a phone. I don't think this ad is going to hurt the iPhone sales at all. You know what you're getting when you buy an iPhone.
    Posted via smartphone

jrockett no está en línea BES Pro
    I don't see Big Red's new phone putting so much as a dent in Apple's sales. Now if/when Apple strikes a deal with Red things will get nasty.
    Data Outages
    Reinstall OS
    Desktop/Device Page

Yes, I'm a BES admin with an iPhone 3G.

Follow me on Twitter!

blackninja no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    spam=no
    to think VZW passed on having the iPhone exclusively because they felt it gave Apple too much control. can you imagine where they would be with the iPhone and the current blackberry lineup?

hindsight's a meannn thing.

JaidedFocus no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    262A279E
    I like the direction they are going with this campaign taking a stab at Apple like that. It showcases the limitations of the iPhone, but they better be able to back it up. So far as I can tell, iPhone is still the undisputed champ in this category. RIM is trying to get a toe hold, but they are losing it, setting Android up for a chance to become number 2. Well played Android...your move Apple and RIM
    My Focus may become Jaided but never my determination...