Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Recently Verizon announced the opening of the V-CAST App Store , slated for the end ... Smartphone News forum

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask

Verizon to Block High-Bandwidth Apps

Advertisement

Recently Verizon announced the opening of the V-CAST App Store, slated for the end of 2009. During that time, they also promised more shares of revenue to developers, a universal software platform, and a more streamlined submission process for developers. However, a Verizon rep today confirmed that they will be blocking apps that consume high volumes of bandwidth from the app store. Verizon's Brian Higgins recently told VentureBeat, "We know how much data costs us per megabyte. We need to take a look at each of these applications, case by case, to make sure that we’ve got applications which are completely upside-down relative to what we will be charging to consumers.". Does this mean that Verizon could follow suit with Apple/AT&T in blocking apps that use VOIP technology to circumvent the carrier?

Full article here.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Verizon and AT&T are the highest charging carriers in my area, and have the most customers...why do they need to put on more restrictions??? You know it's bad when they make Sprint look appealing
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

PIN/ID
    Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by azstar View Post
    Verizon and AT&T are the highest charging carriers in my area, and have the most customers...why do they need to put on more restrictions??? You know it's bad when they make Sprint look appealing
    LOL. I dunno Az, but it really is a shame that carriers are taking these shotgun approaches to situations and running the risk of losing customer bases. In the interview with Higgins, he talks about Verizon's upcoming LTE plans and how even with that fast of a system, bandwidth concerns will still exist.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    How to upgrade your OS

wheelz no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ask4pin
    That really sucks as if verizon doesn't make enough money as it is. They keep putting restrictions on. Data per magabyte are they serious they sound like the oil companies saying gas needs to go up and then record profits better than the year before.
    BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.160 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Here WE go

zipporic no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24B606F3
    *sigh* AT&T, iPhone, monopoly - Verizon, prices, monopoly. What seems to be the common denominator here? These two claim to have the best, fastest and most reliable networks but then do things like this. It's like they are saying you can have any color you want, as long as it's black (come join our super fast, super awesome data network - just don't actually use it).
    Who told you, you could eat my cookies? Put that cookie down!... Now!
    Courtesy of the Govenator

Schirripal no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    2096c6ec
    I second that
    Quote Originally Posted by zipporic View Post
    *sigh* AT&T, iPhone, monopoly - Verizon, prices, monopoly. What seems to be the common denominator here? These two claim to have the best, fastest and most reliable networks but then do things like this. It's like they are saying you can have any color you want, as long as it's black (come join our super fast, super awesome data network - just don't actually use it).
    BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.282 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    I agree with the comments. I think the answer to why they continue to charge more and restrict more is simply because we allow it - i.e., because they can!

These tactics won't stop until we consumers protest by pulling our accounts and going to to the less expensive competition. It's a problem. I went to a less expensive carrier a while back and found their coverage to be unusable in my area. It's a serious problem but WE, the consumer, make it possible! (I don't have a good answer.)
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

PIN/ID
    Ask
    You know JB, this is why I'm so glad the FCC is taking a hardline approach to the wireless market at the moment. They're bringing to light a lot of major issues that affect the consumer. Like the chairman said, if you want to get a Pre or iPhone in certain areas of the country, it's literally impossible (without paying for an unlocked device) because you can't get coverage from that carrier there. The thing that irks me the most about reports like this is that they constantly tout the capability of these devices and how they work best on their networks, but yet they cripple them or our ability to full utilize them.
    How to upgrade your OS

Right, MS. Maybe someday we'll move toward any device for any carrier - of course we still have the GSM/CDMA conflict but it'd be an improvement even between those two if all GSM devices could be offered/used by GSM carrier and the same for the CDMA. That would certainly improve the competition element IMO and help produce more competitive pricing.

I suspect that we're doomed to have both GSM and CDMA in this country for a LONG time.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

pauly814 no está en línea Stack level 2
    How about giving us some Wifi devices like the new tour that came out instead of crippling them!?

We want you to pay as much as we can possibly get, but don't over use our network....because when we say unlimited data, well we dont really mean unlimited. But we wont give you wifi phones either.

I agree, if people left verizon for some other carriers because of the crap verizon pulls, they might wake up. They do it because we stay and continue to pay our bills. Sure 5 or 6 perople leaving verizon wont help, but 500,000 or 600,000 leaving might wake them up.

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    VZW didn't cripple wifi on the 9630 Tour, it just does not come with it...up to this point, none of the CDMA carriers have BBs with wifi, but there have been reports that at least Sprint and VZW will have BBs with wifi in the near future.....

I wonder if Verizon will eventually make it so that apps can only be downloaded through their app store, or if we can still do like now and buy from wherever and install what we want....
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    VZW didn't cripple wifi on the 9630 Tour, it just does not come with it...up to this point, none of the CDMA carriers have BBs with wifi, but there have been reports that at least Sprint and VZW will have BBs with wifi in the near future.....

I wonder if Verizon will eventually make it so that apps can only be downloaded through their app store, or if we can still do like now and buy from wherever and install what we want....
    I think if they could, they would do just that. I don't think they can tho? As long as there is a desktop manager and OTA downloads I'm not sure how they could. There would have to be something built into the OS. Of course we could just install a different OS to fix that.

That's a good one to watch. I think they would do that if they could get away with it.

What we ought to do is form a group and negotiate "group rates" like the government is talking about doing with health care. There's power in numbers and it's the main thing (money) that'll get any company's attention. I wouldn't be surprised to see this happen some day. After all, we MUST have health care but we don't HAVE to have cell phones...and we might not have to do without them for long, if at all, if we worked it right.

That'd be "tacky" of Verizon to do that but I don't think I'd be surprised. Seems like they all want their piece of the pie and they want everyone to eat only their pie. Is this what free enterprise has turned into?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast