In another move among many lately from Verizon Wireless, it was annouced Friday that Verizon ... Smartphone News forum

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask

Verizon Enters the Mobile App Market

Advertisement

In another move among many lately from Verizon Wireless, it was annouced Friday that Verizon will preview it's own app store July 28th and it plans to rival those of competitors like Apple and RIM. The major innovation Verizon says it plans to bring to the table will be a 'one software standard for all' approach. It's accomplishing this by teaming up with other major carriers such as Vodafone, Softbank, and China Mobile.

CEO Lowell McAdam was quoted as saying, "..if I could write one application that could touch every iPhone customer or one billion customers, who am I going to write for?".
    Verizon has also promised it would offer developers a better revenue share than it has in the past, and a more streamlined certification process.

With Verizon being the largest carrier in the U.S., this has huge potential to retake some of the customer base that they've lost to AT&T due to the iPhone and it's myriad of applications.

The full article can be found here from Bnet.com.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

jman77 no está en línea Stack level 1

FINALLY

Now they will be able to live up to the App-Friendly status of my enV touch. Now I won't have to see about their "False Advertising".

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    After reading those articles it does not really sound like an App Store but rather the same system that is in place now except they are putting their Verizon name on it. Maybe I'm confused? Those different models shown in that article are interesting.
    They still don't give very much information on how anything will work nor how the Apps will be made and the delivery system.

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    True, it leaves a lot open for questions, but the thing I find interesting is the idea of a single programming standard that will allow a single app to span multiple devices. The big advantage to Verizon is being able to sell apps for every device they carry, through a single hub.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    That would be the "Web" already in place and I hope the don't pull an "AOL" on everyone.

ventz no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    Haah. The CEO clearly doesn't realize that playing a game on a 1" by 2" screen is simply awefull...and optimizing a game that will run on a 500Mhz phone and a 60Mhz phone means crappy games.