Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Can anyone explain to me as the great giant rim is a Canadian company but ... Smartphone News forum

mattdoucet no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    301CB12F

Advertisement

Can anyone explain to me as the great giant rim is a Canadian company but us Canadians have to wait to get our greasy fingures on it. Telus won't have till another 3 weeks and they still don't have the bold. Don't get it. Think I'm gonna right a letter to rim with my complaint. Waited forever for this pearl when it came out. Don't wanna wait anymore!!!! ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

jtfbad no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by RyGuy27 View Post
    preach.

btw pros and cons for each device but the underlying difference(imo) between the both is that....

Iphone advantage is its multimedia functionality blows everyone out of the water where as The Storm and BB's in general are still king of telecommunication devices in terms of messaging.

In my case my need for messaging is priority and multimedia for me at least has to be par(the data I use isnt rich i.e. dont need flash and dont need to view sites in html all the time, wap or mobile is just fine with me. I get most of my info from RSS feeds, thank you Viigo) which it looks like the Storm is and little more.

Lastly I have to many contacts on BBM so I am crippled to switch phones if I could. hehe

Press and Be ImpressedLove its brain and its looks. With a unique touch screen and cutting-edge multimedia capabilities, the BlackBerry® Storm smartphone has the power and performance to drive your desires. An Impressive ExperienceWith the BlackBerry Storm smartphone, select and type using touch technology - the screen is the keyboard. - Typing is easy - highlight the letter with a touch and press the screen to make it appear in your message or document - Navigation is a breeze - like a mouse, your fingertip moves the cursor across the screen A Screen that Expands Your HorizonsThe BlackBerry Storm smartphone’s brilliant touch screen brings the details of your day to life. - Enjoy a wide-screen experience when you’re watching a video or making changes to a Microsoft® Word file[1] - Durable glass screen stands up to the demands of busy living - The 3.25 inch, 480x360 pixel screen display provides crisp, colorful clarity that’s easy on the eyes Do Two Things At OnceThe BlackBerry Storm smartphone was built for speed. - Take calls while sending and responding to email or browsing the Internet - Snap the perfect picture and send it, even when you’re already on the phone

This phone bloWs ipone out the water

Ridicule no está en línea Stack level 3
    Mattdoucet, you need to understand that Bell and Telus have CDMA networks, while Rogers is the only GSM network in Canada. You cannot run a GSM device on a CDMA network - different radio technologies. CDMA only represents a very small percentage of worldwide phone subscribers (that's why the devices always come out for GSM first). If you don't want to wait, then, unfortunately, you'll need to switch to Rogers for the Bold.

mjkone no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by kane View Post
    i don't understand why wifi is always mentioned 1 on CDMA its not needed who cares about other people speed tests ive tried wifi over CDMA speeds and it sucked even tho it was better then i give up EDGE speeds 2 if your going to be home using wifi which needs a internet connection why not just use a REAL computer i mean really is it just me and please don't say sit in some coffee shop
    Good point! The only US carrier where wifi is truly a useful feature is T-Mobile with its UMA (voip). Voip calling on a cell phone? That's where the genius is.

GeneKam no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    232D8D38
    The only downfall that I see for the storm has got to be the wifi. Although in US there are the unlimited plans and here in canada we have the same for telus, I have to say that I would love to see the wifi solely for the networking point. I am one of the people who is going to wait for the refresh of storm before I get it to make sure I got the latest greatest. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

walkiniceberg no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    21D45768
    Quote Originally Posted by KriK View Post
    I can't wait for this Storm to be released. I've actually renewed two of my accounts and bought iPhones on them just to sell them on craigslist.org so I can put the cash aside to buy the Storm.
    WOW! Someone needs to shake your hand and buy you a beer. That's freakin amazing

mac14x no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    217a1629
    What about the processor? doesnt the new line of bb's have faster processors? I dont own a storm (yet) but from what i see its so much easier to type, get to music and stuff like that and there is tons of other things avaible for the bb. Apple was always a fancy *** company who always shows off. Like microsoft and RIM, they keep their things clean and quiet and dont go like OMG OMG OMG I JUST MADE A IFONE PLX BI BIB I PLX U NIID ONEE ITS SOOO GOODIEE, bleh cut that **** out. IPHONEEEEE MASSSACREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE (^^) and! they only good at making ipods, not phones cum on!!!
    ~90 people get the swine flu and everyone is wearing face masks. Millions of people have AIDS but no one wears condoms...

Texas Heat no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by gdbjr View Post
    What about the fact that the iPhone can do voice and data at the same time? I know this is due to Verizons network not the Storm, but I think it still needs mentioned.

Once you go real 3G it's tough to go back.
    You will be able to do voice and data on the Storm as well. Thanks.

aboogy58 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    305AE3CF
    I've had my 8100 for two years now and reading all the specs. I would never switch to an iPhone or any other phone other then a blackberry. And the crazy part is my contract is up in December. So I just might jump ship. =))

Amahk no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    242B3987
    Not sure why people get annoyed when iphone vs anything comparisons are done on pinstack.com. It's a blackberry site. Everyone here is a crackberry addict hehe.

That being said, it'd be nice if the comparison was done to truly inform the public rather than say Storm > iphone!!

You have copy/paste and mms being made as big selling points since of course the iphone doesn't offer it yet something as key as WiFi is added as a footnote. If you're being honest with yourself you'd agree that WiFi was left out because Verizon commissioned this device from RIM and they don't want their phones having WiFi. If this phone was on ATT, there'd be WiFi. If we said differently we'd be lying to ourselves. So 1st disadvantage would be the lack of WiFi. The argument that using CDMA means you don't need WiFi is sort of moot since it's an added feature, WiFi isn't taking anything away from your CDMA and it's adding to the user experience. You can have Skype on your Blackberry which helps when you're travelling abroad.

On the note of carriers, EV-DO does not support Data and Voice at the same time. 3G does! Do your research. So based on that the Verizon Storm is at another disadvantage over the iphone 3G.

As for the CPU speeds, they are the same speed people. Yes the Storm is faster than other Blackberrys however it's being compared to the iphone. The CPU clock speed is 612 and 624 of the iphone and Storm respectively, it's a difference of 12MHz! So this CPU clock speed is a non-issue.

As for the individual that said the iphone can only do 4 pages of apps, it's actually 9 pages of apps and each page can hold 16 apps. I only have 3 pages of apps and they take up ~400MB of space. Hopefully the Storm can hold applications on the memory card...hopefully.

Also the keyboard argument is moot also. The majority of people here have not used the Storm's touchscreen. They have no idea how good of a typer they'd be on it. I've used my iphone 3G and I'd say my typing speed is comparable once you get over the learning curve which is there with all devices. I just pretend I'm typing on my curve and Apple's predictive text amazingly spits out the right words. I was just as skeptical at first but it works and that's all that matters. The only problem is I wish they'd let you edit the dictionary just like RIM did. With all that being said, no matter what device we type on, we're going to get over the learning curve at some point in time and typing becomes a breeze. Hence to all the naysayers that said they'd never get the Storm since it doesn't have an alphanumeric keyboard, I hope this helps you try it out.

play11dg no está en línea Stack level 2
    It may be silly question, I want to ask if its possible for me to buy unlocked Storm and use my sim card from my ATT Curve 8310? ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

q4m
    q4m no está en línea Stack level 1
    I haven't read all four pages, but something else bberry has that iPhone doesn't.

Blackberry will encrypt data at rest. In other words, the emails stored on your phone are encrypted and password protected if you use the password protection. iPhone offers password protection, but no data at rest encryption. If you cannot afford to have any of your email read if you lose your phone, iPhone cannot compete. Granted, someone would really have to want your data to take the time to disassemble your phone to get it. Keep in mind however, most security conscious firms are not allowing use of iPhone for corporate email because of this.

play11dg: my understanding is verizon phones do not use sim cards.

Ridicule no está en línea Stack level 3
    Actually q4m, the Storm is a worldphone (meaning it's CDMA and GSM/HSPA), the GSM portion of the phone will use a SIM card. This one (unlike the 8830) will also support the north american frequencies - so, unlocking might be possible.
    (but, said in another thread - it might be problematic - and you might want to wait for a GSM-only version...)

matchzmalone no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Amahk View Post
    So 1st disadvantage would be the lack of WiFi. The argument that using CDMA means you don't need WiFi is sort of moot since it's an added feature, WiFi isn't taking anything away from your CDMA and it's adding to the user experience. You can have Skype on your Blackberry which helps when you're travelling abroad.

On the note of carriers, EV-DO does not support Data and Voice at the same time. 3G does! Do your research. So based on that the Verizon Storm is at another disadvantage over the iphone 3G.
    As for the lack of WiFi part, you needing skype to help you when travelling abroad... Its a WORLD phone, it uses other bands as well so you can always be connected when traveling. GSM CDMA or w.e

and it DOES support Data & Voice at the same time... maybe you havent seen any of the commercials or anything. Most definitely the Vodafone one shows this

so thats one disadvantage on the Wi-Fi part. that voice & data part is Void.

but the wi-fi isnt a big disadvantage, tho its still a disadvantage, just not as serious as your attempting to make it

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234