PC World : More than two days after experiencing a complete outage as a result ... Smartphone News forum

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava

Twitter Continues to Battle DDoS Attack

Advertisement

PC World: More than two days after experiencing a complete outage as a result of a distribute denial-of-service (DDoS) attack, Twitter and other social networking sites such as Facebook are still battling a surge in traffic related to the attack. Twitter has taken some steps to mitigate the spike in traffic and ensure that the site is not knocked offline again, but some of those steps are having an impact on third-party tools that link to Twitter through API's (application programming interface).

[Read Full Article]

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    I'm still experiencing issues using both the Desktop and iPhone App. I wish it was all over with.

9of13 no está en línea Theme Pro
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    this may explain why i cant change my profile pic thru twitter.com still
    For my theme blog, remember....
    Resistance Is Futile

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Cyxymu is apparently blaming the KGB and Russia for the attacks against him and Twitter. While the interruption is annoying, I'm really looking forward to finding out who orchestrated the attack.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Tried to "unfollow" someone several times via p-c this am. All failed with "Whoops, something went wrong. Refresh page and try again." Still a few issues I guess.

However, I WAS able to stop following the same person from my BB - go figure.
    Last edited by jblackfish; 08-09-2009 at 11:36 AM.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

eazid no está en línea Stack level 4
    It was annoying, but it could have been worse.
    BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.77 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Tweetie is still ailing this morning also. It must
    have been worse than reported if it's taken
    this long to bring back it's full service.

Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16

fox581 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Kind of funny a couple of days before the crash I had a email saying somebody was following me, but couldn't find them on my followers list. Also I have me tweets locked so people need to be accepted by me before hand. There was no way to block them except go through there twit page and block them from there page. I don't know if it worked but I hope it did. I wonder if that has link with the problems.
    Opera/9.60 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.13216/554; U; en) Presto/2.2.0

jhutton12 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    7BB5F94A
    I experience not being able to post my pics through my pc.
    BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.127 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/106

atb2010 no está en línea Stack level 1

real reasons?

Quote Originally Posted by MStrawder View Post
    Cyxymu is apparently blaming the KGB and Russia for the attacks against him and Twitter. While the interruption is annoying, I'm really looking forward to finding out who orchestrated the attack.
    Probably this reply is a bit late, but I just came across this issue and was curious about it...

While thoughs rumours about russians responsible for this attack may be true, don't you think that those who started attack understood that it won't really stop that blogger but make him more popular?

So I'm guessing now one of these:

1. Russians were really stupid to do such attack. Possible, but what are the real benefits for them?

2. It could be some step to attract attention to that blogger personally or probably to attract attention to Russian-Georgian conflict and make Russia to look bad (evil empire with lots of evil hackers ). Looks pretty much possible to me especially since this event occured almostly at 1 year anniversary of the war in osettia.

3. The third possibility... I wouldn't like this to be true... but cannot it be attack planned by some political forces in USA? The benefits are clear: now more people would support some law that would restrict freedom of internet usage and make goverment easier to spy on USA citizens? Also damaging Russian image is always a nice bonus

What are your thoughts on the above? Also are there any other possibilities that I missed? I do not believe that it was just accident... it was definitely planned by someone... but by whom???