Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Over the river and through the woods to grandmother's house you go...and when you're running ... Smartphone News forum

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

Turkey Trap: Trapster Enlists 200,000 Speed Trap Spotters This Holiday

Advertisement

Over the river and through the woods to grandmother's house you go...and when you're running late, maybe you could use a little reminder to slow down. Nothing can ruin that holiday spirit faster than a $300 speeding ticket.

Let's give thanks, then, to Trapster: Your mobile phone alerts you as you approach police speed traps. With hands-free audio alerts, and one-touch reporting, it's a modern-day version of the age-old practice of flashing headlights at other drivers to warn them of a speed trap ahead.

And as of 1:43 PM PST today, the 200,000th member enrolled in the Trapster service.

Trapster's new "Virtual Radar (TM)" iPhone app, available for free on the App Store, has enlisted an army of more than 100,000 iPhone-armed speed trap spotters since its October 8th release. And it's not just iPhones. Trapster also simultaneously released new applications for other GPS smartphones like BlackBerry, Nokia, and J2ME-enabled phones. In six short weeks, the trap database has grown from 39,000 to over 115,000 reported trap locations.

Also today Trapster announces support for the new Verizon BlackBerry Storm.
    Those who don't have a GPS smartphone can call in traps using Trapster's toll free tip line, and receive alerts via text messages with maps to show where the police are hiding.

And here's the best part, especially during the expensive holiday season: Trapster is free. And it might just keep your goose from getting cooked.

[source]

Sirthinks no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2831A313
    ... and there I was driving 100 mph down the freeway. I wasn't worried about tickets cuz all I had to do was look at my trusty iPhone and one of those 200,000 trapsters out there would let me know where the speed traps are....

What I didn't consider was driving 100 mph on the freeway and watching my iPhone for speed traps would very quickly run me up the TAIL of that MORON in front of me driving the speed limit.... Now I need a new car.....

200,000 people tapping into their iphones whenever they see a speed trap, and countless numbers using the app to drive like idiots....

That's a lot of people not paying attention to the road!!
    Last edited by Sirthinks; 11-24-2008 at 11:20 PM.
    If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

green_light no está en línea Stack level 3
    Yeah this is what we all want....more people fumbling with their iPhone while they're driving

Just go the speed limit and save some phone memory

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    ^^ always gotta be someone to post that when i feature anything about trapster

happy thanksgiving everyone!

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by cherrichiodo View Post
    ^^ always gotta be someone to post that when i feature anything about trapster

happy thanksgiving everyone!
    ...and a safe one too.

I realize almost no one drives the speed limit, or ever has for that matter , but try to keep your speed "reasonable" and your eyes mostly on your driving - you might have a better chance of arriving safely at your destination.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    On the other hand, there are some people who insist on messing with their phone while driving anyway. Might as well be doing something for the common good J/k!

Please be safe out there!
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

frisco49ers no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2840D481
    I still can't get this to work! I only get a red screen, any ideas?

fritter no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    thanks cherrichiodo this will come in handy while in the passenger seat this weekend driving on i45 have a good thanksgiving too.

MWPatterson no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Plz
    It's a nice app. Use with caution as not all traps are in there, best to use caution and not go to fast. Still a useful app.

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by frisco49ers View Post
    I still can't get this to work! I only get a red screen, any ideas?

You may need a Bold user to help you out - it works great on the Curves but not sure if it's ready for the Bold.

Can an expert with a Bold help this user out?
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

mrpringlez no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    304B6584
    I have an 8820 and mine just gets stuck on trying to find my location... (a little red cross in the middle of the screen and on the top it says searching for location... Any help would be appreciated I need this to work
    Don't Get Mad Get $Money$ Why They Call Me Mr.Pringlez You Ask ? Cuz I Stack My Chips... Ow !

thasweetone27 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    askme; )

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by green_light View Post
    Yeah this is what we all want....more people fumbling with their iPhone while they're driving

Just go the speed limit and save some phone memory

I AGREE COMPLETELY!
    bebe

macmood no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Getting same error on my 9000 :-(

sauser676 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    242c4ef3
    i would't mind it if the interface wasn't so clunky on the blackberry i have to open like 4 menus to report a trap how about just pressing a key for each different type of report, like "L" for live P for police etc.....
    Graham Sauser
    A-List DJs
    graham@alistdjs.net
    www.alistdjs.net
    Blackberry 9000 (AT&T)

Rnobleza no está en línea Stack level 1
    Any one have luck with the Storm?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast