Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Global mobile network operator Truphone today launched a beta of its mobile Internet telephony service, ... Smartphone News forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Truphone Launches Beta Low-Priced International Call Service For Blackberry

Global mobile network operator Truphone today launched a beta of its mobile Internet telephony service, Truphone Anywhere, for BlackBerry smartphones. Truphone Anywhere brings simple, easy and cheap international calling to up to 40 million BlackBerry users across the world.

Truphone Anywhere works in 33 countries worldwide. It saves BlackBerry users from those countries money on the international calls they make from their home country. The service works alongside domestic service providers, but reduces international call costs to as little as Ł0.03/$0.06 per minute. Just last week Truphone Anywhere captured the CommNexus GadgetFest Gadget for 2008 capturing both the judges vote and the audience vote ahead of six other companies. Truphone joins previous GadgetFest title winners that include Google’s GrandCentral, Motorola’s Q Phone and Dish Networks Slingbox.

Truphone works with the user to save them money. Instead of requiring the user to remember what to do, Truphone Anywhere simply asks whether he/she wants to make a Truphone call whenever an international number is dialled. The user simply accepts, and Truphone connects the call.

“There’s no GSM business tariff that gets close to the prices we can offer BlackBerry users with Truphone for international calling,” said Geraldine Wilson, new CEO of Truphone. “And in these days of financial belt-tightening, businesses are looking at every means of cutting costs, which is an opportunity for us. Truphone is a genuine alternative carrier for international calls, with the potential to reduce annual mobile bills for the largest companies by many millions of dollars,” continued Wilson.

Aaron Simpson is the BlackBerry-using chief executive of Quintessentially, a private members' club that provides a 24-hour global concierge service and is part of the world's leading luxury lifestyle group. He stated: “Quintessentially has offices all around the world and, as CEO, I’m in constant contact with all of them. I’ve been using Truphone on my Blackberry and its low call rates have enabled me to make those calls at a fraction of the cost of using my mobile provider.”

In technical terms, Truphone Anywhere works by connecting to a local Truphone server, which then connects the long-distance part of the call over the Internet. Because most BlackBerry users are contract customers, the local connection to Truphone is, typically, free because it uses bundled minutes from the customer’s usual cellular service provider.

Truphone for BlackBerry smartphones is available to download for free from www.truphone.com/blackberry. Alternatively, Handango users may also download Truphone from www.handango.com. There are no monthly subscriptions or other charges.

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28
    that's a pretty smart idea
    The BlackBerry Guru

[x] My Minds Eye - Life Behind The Lens Of A BlackBerry
    [x] Pinstack Blog
    [x] Twitter

macallik no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Nice idea

pamaf2003 no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Pay attention on their legal notices!

Higher fees if:
    "In order for the Truphone Service to be a low cost service we may rely on advertising and marketing supplied through the service and other mechanisms to subsidize the service. We intend that any such marketing services shall be discrete and of targeted interest to you. By agreeing to these terms and conditions you agree to receive such advertising and marketing. If you do not want to receive such services you should notify us in writing. Truphone reserves the right to charge you a higher fee for the service should you choose not to take these marketing services. This higher fee, if applicable, will be posted on the Truphone website"

vince1 no está en línea Community Pro
    PIN/ID
    Stack
    Anyone get this to work?

fritsjakma no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    20E4C9C8
    Just installed Truphone on my bb8800 with Vodafone carrier.in Spain It tries to load but no response. Too bad

kkwus74 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    320FB874
    Mine gives me a java error too....~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

goldenhours no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Just installed on my 8310 but apart from showing a loading screen it doesn't do anything....

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Jaceh no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Installed on my 8320 but just says loading page please wait....

thymaster no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    304FD869
    Great idea but couldn't get it to work.
    Once you go black, you can't turn back.

OngTY no está en línea Stack level 1
    So does anyone able to get it to work with your BB?

vince1 no está en línea Community Pro
    PIN/ID
    Stack
    Looks like no one has this working yet.

SeRViiCiiO no está en línea Stack level 5
    I download it and also installed it, at the end you get an automated call from truphone...

Check your apn settings! ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

goldenhours no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Yea, thanks for the tip with the APN! For some reason my settings had gone blank after my last OS4.5 update... But once I put them back to my carrier-specific setting, truphone connected fine and brought me through the setup, test call etc. Seems I'm all set now with my 1.00 free call credit - only thing is I'll have to try calling someone tomorrow morning cos it's 2am now here in Europe!

kkwus74 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    320FB874
    Don't this this works for cdma carriers though....~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast