Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trapster today launched the world's first speed trap sharing social network for mobile phones. This ... Smartphone News forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Trapster Launches Speed Trap Alert System - Blackberry download

Advertisement

Trapster today launched the world's first speed trap sharing social network for mobile phones. This new information sharing community gives control back to individual drivers allowing them to work together to be more aware of local speed limits and avoid hefty fines and penalties. Users alert other members to police speed traps in real time, using a simple button push on their mobile phone. The community includes a sophisticated ratings system to measure the reliability of members thereby increasing confidence in the alert data. Trapster is provided at no cost and can be downloaded at http://www.trapster.com.

rashard no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    208FBA40

Smile

Oh wow, this is way better than the one I used to use, on SMS, and way easier to use, I will be using it on road trips only since I only live a couple miles from where I work, and dont get on the interstate much. THanks

deafcyclist no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    243F42A5
    I typed out an long post against this idea of an application but I thought that I would sound like i'm looking to start a flamewar so i'll just say this,

I'm against any tools that would allow peoples to circumnavigate police efforts to curb illegal speeding. Quite frankly, the only people who would find this useful would be speeding and putting others and themself on the road at risk for possibly fatal crashes.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88
    We kinda sorta have something set up like this here, but we use UPOC instead and do it for traffic also.
    Whenever some encounters bad traffic, they send a text to the rest of the group with the location. Then, if someone else is in that area, they can either find a way around it or if they know how far the backup is or what's causing it, they can communicate that as well. Works pretty good.

MWPatterson no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Plz
    It is an interesting idea, I have used it but, since I drive the same 33 miles of interstate 2 times a day to and from work, I can almost do it in my sleep and know where most of them hide. I have been supprised a few times and this app might help but for most of use people who drive the same stretch of road each day it is not that helpful.
    Now when I travel, I will be using this as I like to know where they are.

walkiniceberg no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    21D45768

Thumbs up

Nice, this is great. a few ******* cops sit at my school just waiting to ruin somebodys day.(i understand that they are just doing their job, but honestly if you're going one mile over the limit they ticket you.)at least this way i wont get screwed over again. Im not partial to speeding, in fact i mostly drive slow

summerhowell no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by deafcyclist View Post
    I typed out an long post against this idea of an application but I thought that I would sound like i'm looking to start a flamewar so i'll just say this,

I'm against any tools that would allow peoples to circumnavigate police efforts to curb illegal speeding. Quite frankly, the only people who would find this useful would be speeding and putting others and themself on the road at risk for possibly fatal crashes.

Try not to think of this application for thats as its not what its meant for. Speeders are speeders regardless of what apps are available. This is just helping everyone in understanding that there are cops around and to watch their speed. Just as a reminder that speeding isn't allowed.

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    I'm not for breaking the law either but there are such things as "speed traps" both in and out of town. That's why they call 'em traps.

If you've ever been "caught" by one at the bottom of a isolated hill (in the middle of no where really) where you can coast to over the speed limit raise your hand.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

karnage209 no está en línea Stack level 2
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ it would be better if they intergrated GPS with this so we can see where the traps are while we drive.

kane no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    anyone who commutes 2 to 4 hours a day back and forth to work can appreciate any help i hate speed traps and i hate those speed cameras even more

CybaCowboy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    21445DCA
    Does this world outside of North America and/or Canada?

All the time I see similar applications to this one, but they are almost always for North American and/or Canadian users...

I am in Australia.

~via my BlackBerry Curve 8300 (wap.pinstack.com)~

nickjoedotcom no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    30C1D19D
    Fricken Verizon doesn't allow for this app. to be used on their network! That is just pure hatred.

Dirty Cash no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    3G
    Quote Originally Posted by jblackfish View Post
    I'm not for breaking the law either but there are such things as "speed traps" both in and out of town. That's why they call 'em traps.

If you've ever been "caught" by one at the bottom of a isolated hill (in the middle of no where really) where you can coast to over the speed limit raise your hand.
    I know the feeling!!! Been there!

mattdoucet no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    301CB12F
    Quote Originally Posted by summerhowell View Post
    Try not to think of this application for thats as its not what its meant for. Speeders are speeders regardless of what apps are available. This is just helping everyone in understanding that there are cops around and to watch their speed. Just as a reminder that speeding isn't allowed.
    I disagree with this comment. Everyone knows its against the law and the best reminder is a ticket. This software is only for people who want to avoid tickets and know where they can speed up. This is an early warning system no different than a radar scanner. I have lost too many friends from speeding. Programs like this is just another way to find out where the cops are. That's my view. Its a free country do what you want but please drive responsible.

What's next early warning system for ride programs? Its like saying I don't drink and drive but would like to know where they are. Doesn't make sense to me

Haguilar84 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    244D73DB
    Quote Originally Posted by deafcyclist View Post

The flip side to your arguement is this:
    There are may cops out there that wanna stop people to meet quotas. I know, officially the police don't have quotas, but let's be realistic. They will find anyway to give you a ticket, even driving 1 mile over the limit. Also, the police don't reset the radar guns, so they maybe clocking the wrong car. I got caught once in a speed trap, even thought there were 2 other cars in a 4 lane street who were in front of me, the cop stopped me because I was easy pickings and let the others go. Plus, there is no law saying I can not inform the public where a police officer is located at people have a right to know where they are at ALL TIMES!!! Its how we know they are doing their jobs. They do this already on morning radio shows so why not on your phone?

With all due respect, this is a useful tool and I am looking forward to using it!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast