I saw this on Tech Crunch and decided to test this out myself. My testing ... Smartphone News forum

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!

Touch Screen Performance Test, iPhone Beats Nexus One, Droid & Eris

Advertisement

I saw this on Tech Crunch and decided to test this out myself. My testing was limited to the Motorola Droid and my iPod Touch 2G but results seemed to go along with the Vimeo video. The Moto Developement Group posted the results of their DIY Touchscreen Analysis along with an explanation of what the results mean and how to test it out yourself.

"The success of the iPhone has triggered the adoption of touchscreen systems in a wide range of mobile devices, and a bevy of new gadgets equipped with capacitive sensing technology have now hit the market. MOTO has years of experience developing products that use capacitive touch, and we’ve had the opportunity to test many of the latest devices. Our conclusion: All touchscreens are not created not equal.
    It takes finesse to create a touchscreen system that’s pleasant to use, because touchscreens require seamless integration between hardware components, software algorithms, and user-interface design. If a manufacturer cuts corners or flubs any of the critical elements, the user’s experience with a touchscreen product is likely to suffer.
    Simple and True

Although we usually use sophisticated tools to test touch screen accuracy, MOTO has also developed a simple technique anyone can use to evaluate the resolution and accuracy of a touchscreen device. All you need is a basic drawing program (download one if necessary), a steady hand, and a few straight lines drawn very slowly on the screen."

I was hoping to get better results just because it makes my Droid look so bad, but sadly no, the Droid is in last place in this test. That being said, I do find typing on my Droid keyboard to be pretty accurate(and I have switched to the Swype keyboard and find it amazingly accurate) and actually find it easier to make corrections on my Droid than on my iPod Touch, meaning that I find it easier to touch the screen and place the cursor right where I want it on my Droid but on the iPod Touch it usually takes a couple extra tries.

Here are my screens, also in case it was related to the quality of the drawing application, I tried this on multiple applications for each device and the results seemed consistent so I am just posting one of each.

Screen 1 iPod Touch 2G Screen 2 Moto Droid

Check out the full article for more info and screen shots of all 4 devices with this test.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Good find Sam, this is very useful. As I've said, I have an upgrade with ATT on the 20th and am still undecided about what phone to get.

Just like any device, you need to spend time with the device you are considering. Go to the store and use the device for the things you do most on yours. Try the browser, type on the keyboards and see how it works for you. Obviously if you depend on the ability to draw perfectly straight diagonal lines on your screen, the Droid may not be the device for you

Seriously though, I don't know how much this effects the end user for normal day to day use of the phone. I have not had issues with tapping inaccuracies, and I am very happy with my Droid. But I would think that poor performance with this test could effect things like some gaming and photo editing where touch and dragging may require a more refined experience.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Very interesting. I like under the hood things.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    I´m old fashioned. I like to feel what I touch !
    iPhone does seem to be sufferable with me, but I did notice with the Adobe Photoshop Edit that what I tried to do on a photo never gave me the result, or anywhere near it, of what I wanted. Resorted to PC.
    Azstar, I did buy an Android (HTC Tattoo), but unfortunately all my sync details that I so desperately need DO NOT sync (via Google) in their entire form or detail. So I exchanged it for an iPhone. Which I have now and am preparing for jailbreak !
    Cheers !

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    Here's my test on the iPhone 3GS.. I have a case on mine, so my finger would hit the edges, but it looks like the test results are close to your iPod 2G

mobile99 no está en línea Stack level 3
    After reading this thread I tried this exact test on both my Droid and my iPhone 3Gs.

While I can see what they are talking about, after side by side testing for the last month or so with both phones, I find that in real world usage the touch screens are nearly equals. (this test aside).

Bottom line is if you are wanting to try something other than a Windows Mobile, BlackBerry, or Symbian powered smartphone (all of which I've owned for a few years) I highly endorse the iPhone 3Gs or the Droid. It's truly a matter of personal preference at this point.

Other than that, a couple more thoughts come to mind:

1) Just how excellent the Droid is for Motorola's first attempt with the Android OS. This phone is truly excellent.

2) It took Apple three tries to get to where they are today.

And yet my personal two cents is they took advantage of their loyal customers with both Gen 1 and 2. They should have had 3G, cut and paste, and a horizontal keyboard orientation in the first version. In the decade I've been an Apple customer I've found via personal experience, it's what they do to become so cash rich. They leave out things they could easily include just to have something to "sell up to" in future versions.

After all, it's all about choices, Apple is Arrogant, and Greedy, Period. Always have been, always will be.

They could care less. It's all about Steve and his minions ... Heh!

rdills no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    My lines look better than all of these. Will post them in a min.
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.0.1; en-us; Droid Build/ESD56) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17

Quote Originally Posted by rdills View Post
    My lines look better than all of these. Will post them in a min.
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.0.1; en-us; Droid Build/ESD56) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17
    Then you did fast swipes instead of slow ones. The article explains why a fast swipe produces a straighter line.

rdills no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    I see. I just did it really slow and it was bad.

WhitePearlPXL no está en línea Stack level 4
    Just did the test on my g1. Pretty horrible on light touch! Will post as soon as I figure how to screen shot.
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/DRC83) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1