We've gathered what we believe are the top 20 smartphones for 2009! This list includes ... Smartphone News forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Top 20+ Smartphones Available Q4 2009 - So many choices and launches.

Advertisement

We've gathered what we believe are the top 20 smartphones for 2009! This list includes some recently launched AND soon to be launched smartphones. From Q1 to Q4 of 2009 there are a lot of smartphones our there to choose from. Our list is alphabetically sorted by smartphone OS but otherwise random. Let us know your preferences/additions...

Android Smartphones

Samsung Moment (Sprint) - With a souped-up processor, the Samsung Moment will download and run apps and other features at lightening-fast speed - and do it in vivid AMOLED color. It's available exclusively from Sprint. - Samsung Moment photos and info.

Samsung Moment Specs:

• 800 MHz Samsung S3C6410 CPU
    • 3.2 inch AMOLED display (320 x 480 pixels) 16M colors
    • 512 MB ROM / 256 MB RAM
    • Dimensions: 4.6 x 2.34 x 0.63 inches; weight 5.67 oz.
    • 2 GB microSD card included / expandable up to 32 GB
    • Standard Lithium (LiIon) battery 1440 mAh (up to 5.5 hours continuous talk time)
    • QWERTY keyboard that slides out horizontally
    • 3.2 megapixel camera with flash and camcorder with auto-focus
    • WiFi 802.11 b/g, Bluetooth, GPS
    • Accelerometer and proximity sensor
    • Outlook e-mail with Microsoft Direct Push Technology and HTML support; E-mail (EAS), POP, IMAP
    • Easily view Word, Excel, PowerPoint on the go to maximize productivity
    • Ships with Android 1.5

Motorola CLIQ (T-Mobile) - It will be available in two colors, Winter White and Titanium, and have a 3.1-inch 320 x 480 screen, 3G, WiFi, and a five megapixel camera with video recording. - More photos and info | Motorola CLIQ Specs

HTC Hero (Sprint) - The Hero is HTC's first phone to embody HTC Sense - an intuitive, seamless experience built upon three fundamental principles - make it mine, stay close, and discover the unexpected. - HTC Hero Photos & info.

HTC Hero Specs:

• Android with HTC Sense
    • 112mm x 56.2mm x 14.35mm, 135g
    • Qualcomm MSM7200A 528MHz processor
    • Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE, dual-band 7.2Mbps HSPA/WCDMA
    • 512 ROM / 288 RAM
    • 3.2″ HVGA capacitive touchscreen
    • 5.0 megapixel camera with auto-focus
    • Gravity sensor
    • Digital compass
    • WiFi 802.11b/g
    • GPS
    • Bluetooth 2.0 with EDR + A2DP
    • 3.5mm headphone jack
    • microSD
    • 1350 mAh battery
    • 420 minutes talktime / 750 hours standby (WCDMA)

LG GW620 - It's only available in Europe this year, but according to LG a flood of new Android smartphones hopefully this one will hit the US. More LG GW620 info.

LG GW620 Specs
    :

• SGSM (850/900/1800/1900 Mhz), EDGE, 3G (900/2100 Mhz), HSDPA (3G+) 7.2 Mbps
    • Resistive touch TFT screen 3,0 inches (7.6 cm) 320 x 480 pixels
    • Qualcomm MSM7200 / 528 Mhz
    • Digital Camera 5 Mega pixels with autofocus, LED flash and video recording in 320 x 240 pixels (QVGA)
    • Memory 300 MB
    • Bluetooth 2.0 AD2P
    • Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g and DLNA
    • microSD HC (up to 32 GB)
    • MicroUSB 2.0
    • Accelerometer
    • Lithium-Ion removable 1500 mAh with a talk time of 4 hours and standby of 20 days (500 hours).
    • 10,9 x 5,4 x 1,6 cm
    • 143 g
    • Google Android 1.5 (Cupcake)

HTC Tattoo - (Available: Q4 2009) - HTC Tattoo is all about you. It’s the first phone that can be customized inside and out. Decide how your phone looks, then decide what you want to look at. Texts? Twitter? Your photos? When you’re done customizing HTC Tattoo, you’ll have a phone that speaks loudly about who you are and what you’re into. - HTC Tattoo photos and info.

HTC Tattoo Specs:

• GSM Quad-band (850/900/1800/1900 MHz) ; UMTS dual-band European/Asian 3G (900/2100 MHz); GPRS/EDGE/UMTS/HSDPA 1.8 Mbit/s/HSDPA 3.6 Mbit/s/HSDPA 7.2 Mbit/s
    • Display: 2.80 inches touch screen, 240 x 320 pixels TFT
    • Camera: 3.2 megapixel autofocus camera
    • Operating system: Google Android OS
    • Input: Touch Screen
    • CPU: Qualcomm MSM7225, 528 MHz
    • Memory: 256 MB RAM / 512 MB ROM
    • Memory card: microSD/microSDHC
    • Connectivity: Wi-Fi, GPS, Bluetooth 2.0, 3.5mm HeadPhone Jack
    • Misc: MP3, AAC, AAC+, WMA, WAV, AMR, FM Radio
    • Media: MPEG-4 / H.263 / H.264 / WMV9
    • Battery: 1100 mAh Li – Ion
    • Talk Time: 6.5 hours (390 mins)
    • Standby Time: 340 hours (14 days)
    • Dimensions: 4.17 x 2.17 x 0.55 inches (106 x 55.2 x 14 mm)
    • Weight: 3.99 oz (113 g)

Samsung Behold 2 (T-Mobile) - The smartphone comes with Samsung’s TouchWiz UI. The phone features a 3.2-inch AMOLED screen, 5MP camera with autofocus and flash, 5 “shooting modes”, video recording, visual voicemail, MicroSD slot (16GB), A-GPS and Bluetooth 2.1. - Samsung Behold II info

Apple iPhones

iPhone 3G & iPhone 3GS (AT&T, BELL & Telus) - it combines three devices in one: a mobile phone, a widescreen iPod, and a breakthrough Internet device, oh and then there are 75,000 apps! iPhone photos and info | iPhone 3G3 Specs

BlackBerry Smartphones

BlackBerry Storm II (Verizon, Vodafone) - Known as the BlackBerry Storm 2, the new device is said to address shortcomings in the original smartphone, adding support for WiFi networks and an overhaul of its touch-screen user interface. - BlackBerry Storm 2 latest info.

BlackBerry Storm 2 Specs:

• OS 5.0
    • CDMA 1xRTT/EVDO Rev. A
    • Quad-band GSM/EDGE
    • Single-band UMTS/HSDPA (2100MHz only)
    • Wi-Fi b,g
    • 3.2 megapixel camera
    • 360×480 resolution capacitive screen

BlackBerry 9700, the new BOLD 2 (T-Mobile & AT&T) - The latest rumored release date is set for November 11, just in time for the holiday season then. It make use of the optical track pad which is a step up from the trackball. Wi-Fi included! - More BlackBerry 9700 info

Blackberry 9700 Specs:
    • 3.2 megapixel camera with LED flash
    • GPS - internal GPS with extended ephemeris, BB Maps is standard
    • MP3/WMA/AAC+ media player
    • DivX/WMV/Xvid/3GP video player (Half VGA resolution 480 x 360 pixel color)
    • Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g, WEP, WPA-PSK (TKIP or AES), PEAP, LEAP, EAP-TLS, EAP-FAST, EAP-TTLS, EAP-SIM
    • Battery Life - Standby: 14 days, Talk Time: 7 hours
    • Bluetooth v2.0, Bluetooth Stereo Audio via A2DP and AVCRP
    • Browser - HTML browsing, View Movies/Clips from websites built for mobile streaming, RSS feed support
    • Size - Length: ? mm, Width: ? mm, Thickness: ? mm
    • Network Support - UMTS: 2100 / 1900 / 850 MHz (+ 800 MHz for Japan model only) MHz, GSM: 1900 / 1800 / 900 / 850 MHz, GPRS, EDGE, 3G, and HSDPA networks
    • 3.5 mm stereo audio jack

BlackBerry Tour 9630 (LetsTalk, Sprint, Verizon Wireless, Wirefly, Bell & TELUS) - The RIM BlackBerry Tour 9630 although lacking Wi-Fi, offers world-roaming capabilities as well as Bluetooth, GPS, and a 3.2-megapixel camera. The smartphone offers a great design that combines a sharp display and an easy-to-use QWERTY keyboard in a fairly compact size. - Photos and info |BlackBerry Tour Specs

Nokia Smartphones

Nokia N900 - Nokia unveiled its ambitious goals for the next version of its Linux-based mobile platform. Maemo 6, which is codenamed Harmattan, promises to bring a significant user interface overhaul and will offer a number of important new capabilities. Nokia has already started to release portions of the source code in an early developer preview of the Maemo 6 SDK. - Photos & info | Nokia N900 Specs

NoKia N97 - The Nokia N97 is a touch screen combined phone and "mobile computer" in the Nseries, with a fold-out QWERTY keyboard. - Photos & info | Nokia N97 Specs

Nokia E72 - The Nokia E72 is a smartphone from the Nokia Eseries range. The Nokia E72 is an enterprise-based smartphone (as it is a Nokia Eseries device) and has standard features including PUSH mobile email support, calendar and instant messaging amongst many others. - Photos & info | Nokia E72 Specs

Palm Smartphones

Palm Pre (Sprint & Bell) - The Palm Pre's multitasking capabilities and notifications system are unparalleled. The smartphone features a vibrant display with multitouch functionality as well as a solid Web browser and good multimedia integration. Wireless options include 3G, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and GPS. Photos & info | Palm Pre Specs

Palm Pixi (Sprint) - The Palm Pixi is a multimedia smartphone under development by smartphone maker Palm. The device is viewed as a successor to the Palm Centro smartphone and will be Palm's second webOS device, after the Palm Pre. The device was officially announced on September 8, 2009, and is expected to be released by the end of 2009. - Palme Pixi photos & info.

Palm Pixi Specs:
    The Pixi will feature a 2.63-inch capacitive touchscreen with an 18-bit color 320x400 screen resolution Sub-HVGA display. The device will weigh 99.5 grams (3.51 ounces) and will be 55.0mm (2.17 inches) in width, 111.0mm (4.37 inches) in height and 10.85mm (0.43 inches) thick. On board radios include GPS, Dual-band CDMA2000 and 3g EVDO Rev A data networking. E-mail will support Microsoft Exchange services and direct push, as well as POP3, IMAP, Yahoo Mail, Gmail, AOL and Hotmail. Messaging features include IM, SMS and MMS. It will feature a 2 megapixel camera with LED flash, proximity sensor, accelerometer, Bluetooth 2.1 (with A2DP stereo), MicroUSB connector, 3.5 mm headphone jack and 8 gigabytes of flash memory (around 7 gigabytes available to the user). Like the Palm Pre, the Pixi will feature Palm Synergy syncronization features, Universal search, Palm Services over-the-air backup, restore, remote erase and updates; and compatibility with the Palm Touchstone charging dock. Unlike the Pre, the Pixi will not include built-in WiFi support.

Windows Mobile 6.5

Samsung Intrepid (Sprint) - Although the smartphone is from Sprint, a CDMA/ EV-DO Rev. You can use the Intrepid worldwide as it includes a second, GSM cellular radio. - Samsung Intrepid photos & info

(X2) The HTC Pure & HTC Tilt (AT&T) - The HTC Pure and Tilt 2, feature HTC's touchFlo 3D technology, as well as the brand new Windows Mobile 6.5 OS. - HTC Pure photos & Info | HTC Tilt photos & info.
    HTC Imagio (Verizon) - Now operating on the Windows Mobile 6.5 Professional platform, the new HTC Imagio combines performance and functionality in one sleek package. - HTC Imagio photos & Info.

HTC Imagio Specs:

• TouchFLO UI, a 3.6”,touch screen w/zoom control
    • 3.5mm headset jack
    • 5.0 Megapixel Camera
    • High Resolution Touch Sensitive TFT Display
    • Virtual QWERTY Keyboard
    • Removable Memory Card

HTC TouchPro 2 (Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint) - The new 6.5 upgradable HTC Touch Pro2 combines all the performance and functionality of its predecessor – the Touch Pro – but adds a larger, tilting, touch screen with zoom control, a larger slide–out QWERTY keyboard, and a 3.5mm headset jack in addition to Global capability when traveling overseas. - TouchPro 2 photos & Info.

Other Noteworthy Mentions

Dell Android Phone (AT&T) - Computer giant Dell plans first U.S. smartphone with AT&T.

The New HTC HD2: Unveiling HTC's first Windows phone to embody HTC Sense. The ultrathin HTC HD2 features a 4.3-inch, high-resolution display that delivers a truly cinematic experience. It is also the first Windows phone with capacitive touch technology and it is powered by the lightning-fast 1GHz Snapdragon processor - making it really fast and smooth as you switch between applications, browse through websites or play games.

dklimah no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ASK ME
    I'm excirted about the new bold and storm. Gonna be 2 great new phones.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    The HTC Hero (Sprint) is appealing to me more and more
    I can't wait to try one out. I hope Sprint is not the only carrier when all is said and done.

Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

PIN/ID
    ask
    The New HTC HD2(last video) despite being WM, is appealing in many ways ... WM 6.5 with 1GHz processor.

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    I am very tempted by a few of these. The Storm2 for sure because I am a BB nut, but since my first smartphone was an HTC I am sorta drawn to that and wonder just how much better it has become. Also with the talk of the Verizon Google deal I am getting excited about the possibility of an Android as well..Who knows, Maybe I will figure out a way to try them all...

PIN/ID
    Retired
    I just watched that one. Your right it looks appealing too. WM any version will handicap it. I'm still adding it to my watch list but don't know if I could deal with a WM phone in any version. I try to keep an openind but IDK?

WM 7 may prove me wrong. It does look nice via the video that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by hayden View Post
    The New HTC HD2(last video) despite being WM, is appealing in many ways... WM 6.5 with 1GHz processor.
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

Lvallejo666 no está en línea Stack level 3
    So no Storm 2 for at&t? I guess I'll have to go with the Bold 2!

drdoom23 no está en línea Stack level 4
    The New HTC HD2(last video) despite being WM, is appealing in many ways ... WM 6.5 with 1GHz processor.
    Agreed another one is that nokia900 I've been watchin videos and wow it has video callin,the interface is awesome,imo its the ipone on steroids lol and it functions as a business

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784

Thumbs up

Is that dude using the Storm 2 II Dos on AT&T????? Holy hell!!!! I want one. I mean if the rumors are true about us getting flash soon then I'll be glad to get one of those and also because I've just read the new iphone 3GS units are being shipped to keep 'em locked and unlockable...Nonetheless, that's just a matter of time till they find an alternative route . But seriously I want one of those new storms. Looks really nice.
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

PIN/ID
    ask
    Quote Originally Posted by Lvallejo666 View Post
    So no Storm 2 for at&t? I guess I'll have to go with the Bold 2!
    I have to go over all of the carrier info. The list is focusing more on the hardware. You may notice some have no carrier listed at all

goldengirl75 no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post
    The HTC Hero (Sprint) is appealing to me more and more
    I can't wait to try one out. I hope Sprint is not the only carrier when all is said and done.

From what I saw on Sprint's video, that phone looks really appealing. I hope that Verizon's Google Android will be very similar to this one. I'm still torn between waiting for Verizon's new release or just going with Tmobile's MyTouch.
    Last edited by goldengirl75; 10-14-2009 at 03:33 PM.

PIN/ID
    Retired
    Looks like it may be going to TMO

Link

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    There are some great looking choices ahead, makes it so tough to choose, nice to have all this grouped together to check out more details.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    GREAT reviews like this are supposed to make it easier to choose the right smartphone ... but it makes it so I want every one

PIN/ID
    Retired
    Well I take back that last post. http://www.htc.com/www/product/hd2/overview.html When clicking thru the "where to buy" it's shows AT&T as a vendor.

This device is looking pretty neat the more I look at it. Why does it have to have WM? Android would seem a better move.