Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

To begin I wasn't sure where to post so forgive me if this is the ... Smartphone News forum

ziminvades no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Tmobile Wing in hand

Advertisement

To begin I wasn't sure where to post so forgive me if this is the wrong area. =) Now let's begin...this is one heck of a device. Windows mobile 6, 2mp camera with video, micro sd expansion, one powerful battery, lighter than the 8800, the speaker is definantly improved from the dash and counter part (MDA), spell check intergration for use with all messaging options, wifi, bluetooth, sleek design and color, the list goes on...Windows mobile 6 has made some serious improvements.*Programs are able to fully close instead of going into active apps then closing individually (huge headache)*speed has increased- wi-fi makes this device a gem. Data processes faster than a mobile connection such as EDGE. *Word, Excel, and Powerpoint packaged in*windows media player allows media of almost any type*Better reception-the internal antenna picks up signal in even the worst areas (I can actually make calls from inside my house)*Organomic design with a rubber coated face and back-helps protect and hides the paw prints lol*Dedicated talk and end buttons with the ability to customize*MSN live intergrated with in. It runs unbelievably well with the device. Weird hugh?!*Intergration with almost any email account except bb. Thought I would try =) Ok.. I can continue on and on so let's jump to the problems. *when micro card is inserted the rubber protective cover hangs out making it a horrible item. This just catches on the holster.*windows mobile 6 has definantly improved in speed but still has a delay and when sliding the phone up to use the keyboard you have to wait for the screen to rotate. Running programs and receiving a call still produces a delay to where you can't answer the phone right away. This is still a phone right?*Side buttons used for messaging, camera, and voice commands are dificult to press-they are not elevated or designed for simple use. They are small enough to cause dificulties and defeat any purpose they are designed to have.*The price is down right robbery. No upgrade-your looking at $500 large..makes you want to puke when asked if you want any accessories*although you can use customized ringtones, you have to ensure they are in the right folder. Just having them on a memory card won't due*File explorer is definantly needed. For those who are bb fans this is a painful feature. Subfolder after sub folder to get to where you need to be.*Design of the home screen is nicer but the ability to adjust the theme is very limited. You can move some programs around but the framework is as is. Creativity and personality is gone. Blackberry has done well with maintaining individuality.*icons are not crisp. Resolution still looks sub par and lack creativity. I want the highest of resolution and (I hate to say) a beautiful design*Be prepared to search for everything and when you find it you'll have to map out directions for later use. Lol*Favorites like pinstack, google apps, berry411, berrysearch, and jive talk are going to have to be forgotten. These are just a few of the apps that won't work or pose problems with use.*programs downloaded take way to long to download. You have plenty of time for a cigarette*program intergration with address book and so forth are not there. For example berry411- you are able to save an address to your address book or have an address in your phone book mapped out. I have not seen this feature with any windows mobile device... Could be wrong*having to extend your phone to use the keyboard is a cute idea but is not practicle. No more one handed use phones. You almost need a desk for this mini laptop (no joke) it reminds me of transformers. A small sporty car turns into a huge towering robot.*through all the advances it is still a windows device.*no GPS- are you kidding me? This is now a must. Especially with the price tag!!!!*the rubber coating scares me. I have the same texture on my cars counsel and through time it is peeling. Is this something to look forward to? *Where are windows versions of pinstack. A mobile community to grow and share... The truth is there is but IT support isn't my cup of coffee-I have tried to jump on the band wagon over and over again. Windows has made great improvements but when it comes to speed there is more opportunity. I really like this phone. If this device was out before I experience the 8700 I would have never crossed over into the blackberry world. I may be tainted now, especially after the pearl and 8800. On 5/23/07 I purchased the tmobile wing for an outragous price. After several hours of trying to convince myself this is a better device then the bb 8800 I have decided...On 5/25/07 I am returning the Wing and just waiting my happy a** at home until the 8300 releases. I am sure it will be cheaper and I haven't returned a bb yetIn a scale of 1 to 10 in a non bb world I rate this a 8. In a scale of 1 to 10 with bb's to compete with I rate this a 6 (I'm trying to be nice). Hope this helps... Any specific Q's just ask

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f

Re: Tmobile Wing in hand

My brother just got it..

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

Nice read, thanks for the information.

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28

yeah i am an employee and some of my co-workers were talking to me about this device, if i was going to get it or wait for the new blackberry. I told them that it wasn't going to be an impressive device, and that it would be best to wait for the new blackberry, when we got our store demo I plaed with i, and the best thing on that phone was bubble breaker....so it's nice for people who like windows mobile platform but I'll stick to my blackberry..thanks for the info though zim

Dirty Cash no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    3G

Great write-up...THANKS!!!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

evilhomer no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID

If I remember correctly, they put a slow processor in the Wing. That's death for any Windows device, mobile or PC. It's always the trade off though. Faster processor means shorter battery life. Slower mean longer. I have an 8525 with Cingy, running WM6 and Blackberry Connect 4. It's really a nice setup and the speed is amazing. The battery life, however, is miserable.
    Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand. -Homer

Nivek2 no está en línea Stack level 2

Great info, thanks I've been thinking about this device but im still sticking to my pearl for now lol. Thought it would be better but the bb has so many features I'm not sure I can leave them behind.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ Nice review but I will also pass. One question though: I know it wouldn't be the same but can't you load the BB Connect software on it?

ziminvades no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

BB has done so well with ensuring programs run smooth and reaction time being consistant regardless of running programs or daily use. Wi-Fi and a camera are about the only true perks to the wing. Adding bb conect won't take away from the issues of speed and the fact that you would have to wait for the phone to react to your movements. If you can't get what you want out of the original package then all the added perks would be waisted time.

Why part with speed, the ability to adjust the device for your style, GPS, convenience of having a keyboard ready to use, universal use through personal or business, simple design when it comes to menus, and excellent migration of media (music,video)....especially with the desktop improvements

In my opinion, the 8300 is going to out do the wing or any other windows mobile 6 device

Gps, camera, and possible wi-fi all in a packaged device that already works can be priceless (8300!). The wing is going to fly away (hehehe) the only true compition will be the I-phone just because it will not have a windows platform, but a new program design.

People see the weakness and want better programing, convenience, and all the features. Any new format not running windows has potential

joebobmcslob no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23e22496

There's just something about windows mobile that makes me feel like I'm missing something.

I was a pocket pc user for about two years, and I loved my handheld windows machines because of the multivendor software and integration. But it always felt like something was missing.

I bought a blackberry pearl back in November and I absolutely love it. In terms of practicality, the pearl does everything I need a phone/mobile device to do. Anything more would probably be too much and take from my precious battery... Can't wait to see what's in store for the future of blackberry...

Einherjer no está en línea Stack level 5

Wall of text! I tried a windows mobile phone and i'll stick with blackberry hehe.

rdills no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?

I'm sticking with the pearl for a while. Even the new bbs coming out don't offer anything far superior to the pearl. I just wish the media player played most videos without converting!

gkg3059 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    204bd5f7

Nice write up. Before I had my BB I would always search for new phone designs and the future of cell phones to c what I wanted, I don't do that anymore. I'm happy with BB.

Juneway no está en línea Stack level 1

This is my first post, Im not sure why, ive been perusing this site since I got my hot new Red Blackberry Pearl. But I agree… I had a win mobile device for years and was always looking for something new or better. I had considered an I-mate or nokia with WIFI, cuz I think that’s all the BB’s are missing but since then, Im sticking with the BB big time.
    But if my computer crashes again I may switch to Apple power book and I-phone.

pcorajr no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

I Used the Cingular 8125 for 1 year and played around with 8525 and WM 6 . You are all right when you say that you alwasy looking for something better with a WM Device. They are to slow and unreliable. Now that i am using a BB i dont think i will use any other platform other than BB, Maybe Symbian but I can truly say i will never waste my time with WM.

The only thing that WM devices have that BB does not (YET) is Touch screen, larger Software Library, Wifi.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast