Looking at the World Through a Paper-Towel Tube: the Future of the Mobile Web Browser ... Smartphone News forum

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

The future for mobile web browsing?

Advertisement

Looking at the World Through a Paper-Towel Tube: the Future of the Mobile Web Browser

If you want to search the Internet, you’ll probably use your PC rather than your cell phone. But that’s likely to change in the future, I was told the other night at this month’s Mobile Monday Boston event, which focused on how to make better Web browsers for mobile devices.

This month’s venue was Orange Labs’ fanatically style-conscious (blond plywood paneling, giant screens projecting changing pictures of clouds, long-legged aluminum Emeco chairs) office space in Cambridge. Mobile Monday originated in Finland eight years ago; today events are organized more or less all over the world, for people working in the mobile industry or interested in mobile communications.

According to the organizers, shipments of devices with advanced mobile browsers will grow from 76 million to 700 million per year over the next five years. Already today, most reasonably advanced phones have some kind of Internet browsing capability.

One of the speakers at the event was Franklin Davies from Nokia. He pointed out that with a global population of six billion people, and roughly three billion cell phones in use around the world but only one billion PCs, “the mobile will be the first and dominant way to access the Web in the future.”

In fact, in many places in the developing world, it already dominates. “Nobody has a PC, everybody has a mobile,” as Davies put it.

[read more]

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    I am away from my PC for the next week and will be relying on my BB for pretty much all browsing. More and more sites are making mobile friendly versions all the time..........

I wish the source for this article was more mobile friendly.....I tried clicking on "read more" and it came up with white text on a mostly white background LOL

I'll have to check out the rest when I get home I guess....

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

kieranwest no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me:)
    I have to agree more people are using browsing on their phone than those using the pc due to the accessibility of browsers nowadays in the world as a whole. Especially with some manufacturers such as HTC, Apple, and BlackBerry(RIM) having larger better screens and enhanced browsers this is becoming more so.

Azstar you are correct I tried reading the article as well and all I found was huge text and some misplaced text. I'm hoping the www will catch up to mobiles ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by azstar View Post
    I am away from my PC for the next week and will be relying on my BB for pretty much all browsing.
    I also rely on my BlackBerry for browsing & in many cases reading, when I'm away on business. In every case I have my laptop with me but find that the BB is so fast (relatively speaking) to take out & quickly connect to the web that I use it in place of my laptop for quick access to Pinstack or the news. Personally I find the default browser quite competent therefore I have no hesitation to access the web on my BB. It's a great way to stay updated.

That said, I'm truly looking forward to a 3G BB such as the BOLD since the speed increase will be very beneficial for those of us that do use our BB for the web.

Cheers
    via: Red BB 8310
    (soon via: Bold)

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by azstar View Post
    I wish the source for this article was more mobile friendly
    I forgot to mention that I was able to read the entire article just now from my BB 8310, so I would encourage you to try again as it may have been a temp situation that prevented you from reading it.

Cheers

DjSmooth no está en línea Stack Professional
    Thanks for the Article Cherri, though I was able to read the Article via my BB Browser, it is kinda Ironic that the source Site is not a Mobile Site or rather Mobile Friendly!

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Good article Cherri. I have a great use for mobile browsing from time to time because I travel to several places where I don't have much (or any) access to the internet via P-C and my BB is the only thing that keeps me in touch. I'm glad to see this issue addressed.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

ikasen no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    I also rely on my BlackBerry for browsing & in many cases reading, when I'm away on business. In every case I have my laptop with me but find that the BB is so fast (relatively speaking) to take out & quickly connect to the web that I use it in place of my laptop for quick access to Pinstack or the news. Personally I find the default browser quite competent therefore I have no hesitation to access the web on my BB. It's a great way to stay updated.

That said, I'm truly looking forward to a 3G BB such as the BOLD since the speed increase will be very beneficial for those of us that do use our BB for the web.

Cheers
    I would refer to my laptop when traveling first, but do use by BB quite a bit. While the native BB browser is partially adequate, credit needs to be given where credit is due. OperaMini is an important part of the current BB internet experience.
    It is possible (likely?) that Opera's contribution will turn out to be not needed with the Bold and 4.6. If there was a stable 4.5 for the 8300, there is a slight possibility I would be saying that now. I wouldn't know since I haven't seen the 4.5 browser yet.
    Last edited by ikasen; 07-02-2008 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Still learning how to spell

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    I had to switch the emulation mode from BlackBerry to IE mode in order to read it...but I got to read it anyway

macallik no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    It will be nice to see when it fully comes to pass

Leetneo no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    316D16C7
    It will be nice to see, and opera mini is my friend.