The FCC is asking the nation’s broadband and smartphone users to use their broadband testing ... Smartphone News forum

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

The FCC Wants You to Test Your Broadband Speeds

Advertisement

The FCC is asking the nation’s broadband and smartphone users to use their broadband testing tools to help the feds and consumers know what speeds are actually available, not just promised by the nations’ telecoms.

Starting Thursday, netizens can go to the FCC’s Broadband.gov site, enter their address and test their broadband speed using one of two testing tools. iPhone and Android users can go to their respective app stores and download the FCC’s first ever mobile app, which will report to the feds exactly how slow your connection actually is. The FCC is requiring the street address “it may use this data to analyze broadband quality and availability on a geographic basis.”

Full Article via Wired

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Sounds cool. Curious if that's a typo in the article that says "by 2010". Does that mean the end of 2010 or a later date? In any event, it is nice to see some progressive thinking in congress. Rather then listening to lobbyists, they want hard numbers. A few politicians may now step off the #failbarge and onto the #failboat.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Interesting, I will participate, I got the app and my speeds are faster than VZW claims as average. Will test over the next few days and get an overall idea of my true average speeds
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    AZ, How'd you get the app if it's not available 'til Thursday? Is it available now?
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    Is it for BB too??
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

dtour77 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Big brothee is a watching. Surely this test has nothing to do with testing broadband speed, right?

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    They watch what they want anyway, you think they need this to do it lol......the Android app is an ookla app, just like the speedtest.net app they are skinned differently but tabs and options are pretty much the same in both apps
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

cb4studabaker no está en línea Stack level 3
    F the fcc

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Mine show 12 down and 1 up. I'm suppose to have greater Bandwidth than that. We are so far behind it's not even funny anymore.
    It also does not matter which site I use or what test I use they are all the same.