Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How did the BlackBerry Outage affect you? Reply with your story for a chance to ... Smartphone News forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

The BlackBerry outage. How were you affected?

Advertisement

How did the BlackBerry Outage affect you?
    Reply with your story for a chance to win a Replacement 8100 OEM battery door w/ speaker opening or a Premium skin case for your series Blackberry compliments Sedio Online!
    (3 winners will be announced Monday!)

For PinStack it meant that our final move to new servers - Tuesday morning - came just hours before RIM's outage. Perfect timing since PinStack saw almost three times the amount of visitors throughout outage. What a warm welcome for our new hardware; which not only survived but did so with room to spare.

Throughout the day (and night) we provided outage updates that sites such as Engadget and Zdnet linked to. CrackBerry.com included a screen shot of our user -posted thread "North America Service Update from RIM":

Russell's Shaw's BlackBerry Beat has posted a report on "what probably caused the BlackBerry outage".

The outage is said to have affected millions. The White House was shaken, relationships were broken and thumbs got some well needed rest... hopefully.

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f

Re: The BlackBerry outage. How were you affected?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~it didn't really affected me, because I was at work the when it was down for the most part and I had the radio off.

But it bothered me tho, when I got home, I'm wondering how come I haven't receive any emails. I tried resending my service book and registering my host routing table and I'm not getting anything. So, I decided to call tmobile and they told me that their experiencing some problems with blackberries, I checked out pinstack and there's like 3 different threads about RIM having problems with their server. I kept on checkin my bb to see if I got the EDGE back but nothing yet, then I decided to go to sleep because I was getting to tired and I didn't want to wait anymore hahah, as soon as I woke up, I checked and everything was back to normal.. What a great morning hahah. That's my story! Lol

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ The outage affected me because, as an adult with a physical disability, I missed out on several emails about social events with family and friends that I would have received. I have my main AOL email account forwarded to my BB. That's the reason I missed the emails. I have a deaf friend who uses a blackberry and was unable to assist him in troubleshooting the problems he was experiencing with his device. I had to use my pc and another phone throughout the outage to keep up with what was going on.

abaqueen no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    PMme4it

Called cingular around 11 am they said there was a problem and it would be fixed by 4:30 EST
    Didn't surprise me when that didn't come true.

Can't tell you how many times I tried to get/send my hosted email, attempted to get gmail, browse the web, stare at edge, twiddle my thumbs for EDGE, pull the battery!!!!, pull the battery!!! (that will surely fix my berry-no matter what or who's hardware failure) lol

Intermittent teasing from my 'Pusha'
    "NotifyLink is unable to retrieve messages for your account due to network problems"

Withdrawal starting... Nervousness, Jitters, Hot/Cold sweats (left work, my excuse...BERRY sick!)
    AngieB
    Pin:PMme4it

RIVERINE no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    3146A554

No prob my end had acess to laptop anyway....Withdrawal starting... Nervousness, Jitters, Hot/Cold sweats (left work, my excuse...BERRY sick!) HAHA I'm using this as an excuse tomorrow.

rokinDa8703e no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    31e84d1b

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I missed an email saying that a client wanted me to drive 4 hours to fix their exchange server, then one three hours later saying that it was fixed so nevermind...saved me a headache and a wasted trip

toddone no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID

I woke up about 8am and i called out of work so i could get some rest and stay home... Then i tried to access pinstack... "communication error"...i didnt know what to do ... i shut my phone off then back on and tried again with my fingers crossed> nothing... as my heart was pounding ...i called verizon and they informed me that service was out... , why me ?? ... i was lost ... the only thing i could do was go back to sleep and dream of using my bb8703e again. i was tossing and turning the whole time service was gone. then poof!!! i got a message, and another and another... the sounds coming from the speaker was music to my ears.... i was back and connected to the matrix...like nothing ever happened...
    Thank You RIM....
    " Real talk comes from the heart not from the mouth "

_Todd_

afrazier5 no está en línea Stack level 1

As a tier 2 BES admin, it was a hellish day here. I walked into my cubicle world at just before 8am and by 5 after, had a line out into the hall and my service desk innundating me with questions on why everyone is broken. Does nobody watch the news??? I ended up spending the first 2 hours of my day fielding issues and drafting communications to our 600+ NA userbase explaining the issue. Fortunately, the issue was with RIM and they couldn't yell at me too loud this time...

mqasim no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    20508e6b

Was playing football when this happend, when I attended my phone there were loads of messages telling me what had happend, told them mine is working fine but they still insisted that there's wasn't working and as I've made a lot of directors at my firm shift to blackberry they were all accusin me of forcing them to make the wrong decision, just told them to reboot their blackberrys. After that it all worked fine *phew*, otherwise would have had to go through hell the next day at office.

jhoetzl no está en línea Stack level 2

With a fairly new BES implementation (only out to 5 users so far), and they have only had them for about 3 weeks now, I received a call from each of them. I found out about it the night of the outtage, and sent out SMS text messages, but realized they might not get there either (afterwards).

Didn't cause any accidents or missed critical anything, but I couldn't imagine having a massive installation, and having no backup path of notifying them to the device itself.

If I had a massive install like that, I think I would implement an answering service, that, in the event of an outtage, would have a message on it. Sure the portal we use internally was updated, but who looks at those things :-)

I am still wondering, where, if anywhere, on RIM's web site, is there a "current status" type page, or some other sort of service page like that.

Oh well, it could have been worse I guess...
    BES Admin, BB User, Factotum
    Curve 8320 OS: 4.2.2.184 (338) on T-mobile
    BES v4.1.5 w/Lotus 7.0.2

Krad no está en línea Stack level 3

I finally had a good nights rest... It was a pleasure and a nightmare to see 0 new emails in my inbox in the morning.... Once i saw lower case edge I knew what was going on smiling... :-)

alexthomason no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23E3505B

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i had no problems in baton rouge but an hour away in lafayette all I could get was gsm. Fortunately I work between the two and could access my messages when in one location. I also know the location of public libraries for when I needed to check something online from before my crackberry days.

green no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ask

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~the silence was nice until the flood gates opened.

wendycharles no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    249F6ACE

I missed several showings on some my listings and many company announcements. It showed me how dependent I actually am on my blackberry, I had to dig out the laptop.
    Wendy
    Iphone...what else would a MAC user have.....

XLiMBS no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    20F3D846

When my BB service went out around 8:00PM Tuesday I didn't know what was going on. None of my programs that accessed data would work and on top of that my browser wouldn't work either.

At first it didn't really bother me because I had experienced service puttages before and thought that everything would be back to normal in a few hours, boy was I wrong.

I woke up the next morning and went to my BlackBerry to find out the weather for that day and to my dismay, my BB still wasn't getting data service, but what I found really odd was that I still had the EDGE service.

After that the day got incredibly worse since I had no BlackBerry to turn to while trying to counter the stressfull enviornment of high school. It was seven straight hours of torture I tell you, which made me angry enough to wanna throw my BB at the wall.

It was only after I came home and after eating dinner felt the urge to try to use my Pearl again, felling a slight glimmer of hope that my BB might be working correctly again. What a joyous moment that was for at that moment I realized that my BB service was back in action.

To sum it all up though I'd definitely have to lable yesterday as THE WORST WEDNESDAY EVER!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast