via BusinessWeek.com : As smart phones become an increasingly key part of business, traveling to ... Smartphone News forum

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

The Amazing Race: an iPhone, a Blackberry and a guidebook in Atlanta

Advertisement

via BusinessWeek.com:

As smart phones become an increasingly key part of business, traveling to a new city can simply mean entering a date into a trip planner on your iPhone, and letting it plan an itinerary for you. But despite all their GPS capabilities and time-saving travel apps, sometimes it’s hard to tell whether they’re good at the simple stuff: getting you from Point A to B in a new city.

Inspired by a race conducted by Conde Nast Traveler, we created a challenge—call it “Travelers’ Check: The Amazing Race”—to test how useful these smart phones are in a strange city. After designing a series of tasks based on what a business traveler coming to Atlanta might want to do, we recruited three college students for the challenge. Armed with three different resources—an iPhone, a Blackberry and a guidebook—our contestants, Tirth Patel, Hemant Ramachandran and Daniel Mitchell, set about their tasks.

There were, however, a few rules: they could only walk or use MARTA (Atlanta’s unreliable transit system); and—most importantly—the smart phone users were not allowed to talk to people. The iPhone and Blackberry users could only rely on their devices, whereas the guidebook traveler could also ask directions from people around him.
    Read the entire study here

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    That's an interesting (and fun) report and race. I guess once you see the outcome it's not too surprising who won and why.Thanks Cherri.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

taynepope no está en línea Stack level 2
    Great story Cherri. I'm not suprised that good old fashion 'human interaction' saved the day. Smartphones are fantastic but can't hold a candle to people.

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    back in the day i'd live by the frommers guides ... now give me a frommers guide in e-format and i might be set

joek71 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    319CCF42

Thumbs up

We are the best smart phones, better then any RIM, Apple, Android, Windows, Palm, Etc.....
    TRUST NO ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by joek71 View Post
    We are the best smart phones, better then any RIM, Apple, Android, Windows, Palm, Etc.....
    That's for sure. I wonder if that'll ever change in the future. I can imagine a LOT of things in the future, transportation of living matter ala "beam me up," but the ability to truly think and reason are pretty special and, I think, difficult to produce electronically. Maybe I'm short sighted.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

joek71 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    319CCF42
    These smart phone are as good as only the user who is using them, when it comes to something like the race humans will always win out.
    TRUST NO ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

eazid no está en línea Stack level 4
    Technology is a good aid... not to completely replace our thought process and common sense.

Example. When I travel I pretty much can look at a map and memorize the areas I'll be in. Sense of direction and distance are good. I may use a bit of tech in addition to crossreference with what I know... because it can help, and because I can.
    "Who Dares Wins"

jhutton12 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    7BB5F94A
    You are so right!
    BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.127 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/106