Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ok, we all know it's a bad idea, but how many of us are guilty ... Smartphone News forum

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask

Texting While Driving

Advertisement

Ok, we all know it's a bad idea, but how many of us are guilty of it? Be honest. Well, while here in the U.S. lawmakers have been looking at ways to punish drivers who do this, a town in the U.K. is trying a different approach. Today, BBC released a video of made by the Gwent Police Department, that was intended to be shown to local schools as part of a driver education course.

This video is graphic. I can't say for a second it's not. It quite clearly shows a multiple vehicle accident caused by a teenager texting while driving. Though it will hopefully help a few teenagers and even adults realize just how dangerous it really is and make them think twice before answering that text message while driving 60 mph on the interstate.

As a last warning folks, the video does display major injuries and trauma to the passengers (no dismemberment or anything of that sort though).

"Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

jman77 no está en línea Stack level 1
    This shall haunt my nightmares forever (or at least a couple nights). Good thing that I am such a new driver that I can't even use the radio properly while driving.

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    It is graphic, but it needs to be...no matter how experienced a driver you are, it doesn't take much distraction to cause disaster. I am guilty of doing it myself, now I have my son type for me...and he has fun deliberately saying the opposite of what I tell him to type then I risk getting into an accident because I'm beating him while I'm driving...jk about the beating....I save that 'til I'm at home!
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

ganns1980 no está en línea Themes Pro
    OMG - I started crying when they did the close-up of the baby.
    Proof of absence is not absence of proof.

SVT Cobra no está en línea Stack level 5
    Personally, I think people who text/drink/drugs while driving should be shot dead in their driveways before they kill others.
    While we're at it, lets get the parents who let the kids have texting capabilities on their kids phones too.
    Where in the Constitution or the 10 Commandments is it written that kids or anyone have a RIGHT to ANYTHING that can put their lives and the lives of others into a INTENTIONAL death trap?

Cell phones, cars, drugs and alcohol are NOT a right to anyone.
    EARN the privilege for once.

I have email, texting, internet, sms, mds and IM's on my blackberry. And the phone too.
    I don't use any of them when driving. NONE. Not even the phone.
    I won't even look to see who's calling. I will find out when I have the time to find out.

Just my 4 cents worth.
    "Nowhere am I so desperately needed as among a shipload of illogical Humans." (Spock)

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    If they are going to make this one then they need to make one for playing the Radio while driving, eating while driving, doing make up, talking to the person in the back seat, and a whole list of other things people do while driving down the road and not paying attention.

mmmitch no está en línea Stack level 2
    Start at the source of the problem.... THE DMV! Tests should be harder! We're giving out licenses to everyone!

I also agree with SVT Cobra. Lets kill the people who cant drive before they kill anyone else!

takadante no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24B2C963
    Quote Originally Posted by mmmitch View Post
    Start at the source of the problem.... THE DMV! Tests should be harder! We're giving out licenses to everyone!

I also agree with SVT Cobra. Lets kill the people who cant drive before they kill anyone else!
    How can the DMV test your morals? They can't refrain people from texting unless there are some laws put into place, and strictly enforced.

BTW: Tests are already hard enough. I got -13 out of a total of 15 you could miss to pass, and I am the best driver I have ever seen in my entire life. (ok maybe not)

genodelick no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24774EF6
    Momy dady wake up!! Jajaja

And this happened with a non-qwerty phone. Imagine how much more attention u need to write on one of our babies.
    I've always said it..if ur driving and u really need to answer so a sms or something, why not call instead, use the speaker and have both hands on the steering wheel?!?!?
    If its something else, u just have to wait. Safety first.
    BlackBerry8310/4.5.0.124 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/121

Jaricanese no está en línea Software Pro
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    Wow... that was very upsetting. Makes you think twice about what you are doing while behind the wheel.

zipporic no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24B606F3
    While we may not be able to screen people the way we should in order to get a license (human rights people would be all over it) it should be a law to not text or talk while driving (hands free would be ok). I live in Overland Park Kansas (KC suburb) and across the state line missouri made it illegal for anyone 21 or less to text while driving. It's a good start but last time I checked, being older than 21 does not make you anymore capable to text and drive, or for that matter, any less likely to do so. I try not to do it but am just as guilty as the next guy and I'm 24, so I guess it's ok for me right? I think not.
    BlackBerry9700/5.0.1.168 Profile/MIDP-2.2 Configuration/CLDC-1.3 VendorID/100

granwsmith no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2093876C
    We have cell phone usage while driving laws here in Ontario.

While the penalty is minimal, I don't find it to be a very good deterrent.

Fact is, most ppl treat their cars like a mobile office/home and I don't see any laws making that any different.

And if you want to start to try fixing the prob at the DMV (or MTO in ny province); there's a reason teens get into more accidents than the rest of the driving populous.
    Start there, up the age. Cell usage only adds another distraction for teen drivers. Example: here, they're trying to (and I support this) limit the number of passengers under the age of 19 to one, for any driver under the same age.

There's a level of maturity and focus that comes with time.

Should this law pass, I thin Ontario will be a go to source for precedent in safer vehicle operation.

Next and sooner than later should be a serious look into Senior drivers.

My 2 cents.
    BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.162 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/107

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    I was a bit hesitant to post this originally because it is a bit graphic and I was sure it would bother some more then others, but it really does drive home how dangerous this is. While agree that any distraction while on the road can become fatal in a matter of seconds, mobile devices seem to offer more then anything else in the car (except maybe the kids) in the way of distractions. Sending text messages, checking email, dialing someone, etc. I try to keep my activities in the vehicle to a minimum, but if I have to call someone, I use voice dialing and either my Bluetooth earpiece or the speaker phone function. You will never see me with the phone up to my ear and shoulder while driving.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

eazid no está en línea Stack level 4
    Oh. A Vlingo commercial. lol. But seriously. Interesting video. IT's a bad idea to do a lot of things... but people will do what people will do.
    "Who Dares Wins"

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Another small note to add...on the news last week they did a story on this exact thing. It showed that in a test that you travel the length of an entire football field in the time it takes to glance at your device and look back up. Another study has also shown that even talking hands free is a major distraction because your mind is on the call and not driving.
    BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.160 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/106
    Last edited by moderncowboy; 08-17-2009 at 12:13 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast