Today, New York becomes the 14th state to enforce a ban on texting while driving, ... Smartphone News forum

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

Texting and driving now banned in New York State

Advertisement

Today, New York becomes the 14th state to enforce a ban on texting while driving, but unlike most of the other states, you won't be able to be pulled over for the violation.

New York's ban is deemed a secondary enforcement law, meaning police would have to pull a driver over for another offense to be hit with a texting fine.

Safety advocates said it's a weak law, but some legislators said they would consider changing it to a primary violation - meaning a driver could be pulled over for it alone - if the new measure doesn't prove enough of a deterrent.

In August, Gov. David Paterson signed the texting-while-driving ban and also made it illegal to use other portable devices while at the wheel. The maximum fine is $150.

Full Article Poughkeepsiejournal

Charlie Hustle no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    skdck
    They need to ban it in florida. I saw a chick who was actually texting and driving 45mph on a bust highway at the same time. I would at most, wait til im at a light to even consider texting someone. If its that important i would just call them.

Ya NasSsty no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24AC9BAE
    ^^^ i second that, living in miami with the type of drivers is the worst. scares me when im driving and i see them texting and controlling the steering wheels with their knees. =\
    Why everything that's suppose to be bad make me feel so good?

dwd
    dwd no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    3090ADE2
    Just my opinion, if there is a traffic accident and driver or drivers have cell phones, police should take the phones and check if there were texting being done at the time. If so, the driver who was texting should be charged for the accident no matter what the situation. Just my opinion.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by dwd View Post
    Just my opinion, if there is a traffic accident and driver or drivers have cell phones, police should take the phones and check if there were texting being done at the time. If so, the driver who was texting should be charged for the accident no matter what the situation. Just my opinion.
    I agree on the simplicity of that however that is where all the issues are at. We would be depriving the people of due process in our current system. We/You can't just do that, the phone would become evidence after an accident has occured and laws prevent taking evidence without the courts approval (search warrants). It really is a tough topic with lots of things to consider. Currently many have to subpoena records to be used later in court. Time stamps on anything can be challenged, who's watch has the correct time? When did the accident occur (exactly). Can anyone see where it becomes a mess? I'm not disagreeing, I'm simply pointing out how it becomes a mess.

Consider the term "Distracted driving" for example, which many States are more serious about. Distracted Driving can be almost anything. Hot Coffee, cigarette, radio talk show host who pisses you off, chewing gum and bite your tongue, putting on lip stick, combing hair, changing a song on the radio or music player, looking in the back seat at the kids. The list goes on and on.

Knee jerk reactions (opinions) by politicians normally do us more harm than good. There really needs to be thought put into this before everyone across the Country can be on the same page.

I would really hate to get in my car and fear the road nazi's unless my hands are 10 & 2 the entire time i'm driving down the road.
    hahaha is 10 & 2 even taught or correct anymore? Anyone recently went through drivers Ed that can post up on that?

Just food 4 thought (that's all).
    Last edited by srl7741; 11-03-2009 at 02:27 PM. Reason: spelling error

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    I think people who text and drive should be shot and ran over by a tractor trailer My dos centavos
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

shaunslastname no está en línea Stack level 2
    Now I would like to add two points...

Texting while driving is very dangerous as I recently seen a video of a bus driver crashing his bus because of texting.

Although many people are utilizing the media players on their phones to play music. Sometimes glancing down to change songs as you would a normal stereo. How would a cop be able to determine whether or not you were texting or selecting a new song to listen to?
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

shaunslastname no está en línea Stack level 2
    I think schools are teaching children now that 4 and 7 are correct placement due to the possibility of injury from te airbag at 10 and 2
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

PeteJohnson no está en línea Stack level 1

Strengthen the Law

I still don't see the seriousness in this policy because there are still a lot of NY drivers doing it. Good thing the young ones attending driving school in New York yle Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --driving*are being informed about the downside of texting while driving. We will eventually have more decent drivers very soon.

johnb51780 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Its been banned in alabama,and I have the fine to prove it....I know I know
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/DRC83) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1