Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

As many of you already know, I purchased a 16gb iPhone 3G on April 25th. ... Smartphone News forum

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

Tempted by the Fruit of Another

Advertisement

As many of you already know, I purchased a 16gb iPhone 3G on April 25th. Here we are today, May 5th and I am currently back on the BlackBerry Bold. While I will admit that the iPhone is a great smartphone, too many limitations and my reliance on the BlackBerry platform has brought me back to my trusty friend. Below is a mini-diary (not a review) of my 9 whole days on the iPhone 3G.

Saturday, April 25th
    Bought the iPhone 3G today...the white one. He looks so shiny and sleek I almost don't want to put the skin on it for protection. After using for maybe an hour, carpal tunnel in right hand starts to act up. (this is the reason I switched from a Pearl to a Curve ) Still out shopping, miss my BBM already.

Got home early evening and started the setup. Google some key phrases (how to set up outlook to sync with iphone, etc) and was on my way. Syncing with iTunes was painless. It picked up my outlook settings so I didn't even have to put them into the phone itself. Awesome. Emails added. Hosted email is syncing, ALL of my emails. No 2-way sync. Bummer. Gmail does, however, 2-way sync. Cool, but not my primary email.

Still missing my BBM contacts, I search for a familiar app in iTunes -- BeeJiveIM. Cheaper for the iPhone ($9.99 -- it was on sale from $15.99), it was my first purchase. Searched for Twitter clients and found way too many (wow, there are only a handful for the BlackBerry). Downloaded Twitterrific first (free).

Email seems to poll every 15 minutes or so, or if you open the native Mail application, it will go out and poll for new messages. Hmm...not sure if that is sufficient for me.

Sunday, April 26th
    Downloaded more free apps today from the app store -- Skype for iPhone (Free VoIP calling Skype to Skype, chat), Pocket Express (One stop shop for customizable information), LinkedIn (Professional networking), Facebook (Social networking), Restaurant Nutrition & Nutrition Menu - Calorie Counter (BIBLE for nutritional information at all the fast food/restaurants) and Google Earth (Exploring satellite and aerial imagery for planet Earth). The amount of apps in iTunes is a bit overwhelming.

Getting used to text messaging. Before the iPhone, I text messaged my two kids, my son's soccer team and a few other NON-BlackBerry friends. Not really feeling the love of the touch screen keyboard. At least there is a similar predictive text like suretype that will choose a word for you if you misspell. Cool. So much texting is irritating my carpal tunnel, again. This morning I woke up with my right thumb and two first fingers completely numb (this never happened with the Bold).

As much as I've been tweeting lately, I decided to see what else was out there for Twitter clients. Entering the picture next is an app called Twiltr (Filters tweets by person or fav tweets). This app seemed to be closest to SocialScope (a Twitter/Facebook client I have been beta testing). I like filtering users if I've been away for a long period of time. This worked perfectly for that.

Monday, April 27th
    Hating that I have to close apps to get to others. According to the web, if I jailbreak it and install a certain app, then they will work in background. Since I am still uncertain on whether I will keep this baby, I will pass on the jailbreaking for now. So I have to open Twiltr, let it update (there is no auto-refresh because it doesn't run in the background), read what I want and then hit the home button to go to another app. This closes out the application. No notifications (because its not running in the background) so to get my tweets, I have to continually log in to check them. This is really super annoying. Another example would be BeeJiveIM. I open the application, log into AIM, Yahoo!, MSN and Google Talk automatically on launch (its a setting). Get messages from when I was offline and begin to chat with a couple of friends. Then, I get a new email message. I have to hit the home button, which closes BeeJiveIM and shows me offline to my friends/contacts. After reading new email messages, I have to click BeeJiveIM again and let it load back up (pretty quickly, thankfully). So unless you sit your iPhone down and let it auto-refresh with new messages, you will not know they are there, no notification.

With the BlackBerry, you can create group contacts. With the iPhone, you cannot. This really frustrated me. This should be built in (as with other things). After searching for an answer, I found an application that would allow me to create groups. Its called ABContacts Lite (the free version). I guess I should have read more, because yes it does allow me to create a group, but it will not allow me to email or SMS that entire group, by one click. You have to go to group and add each person in group manually. This is NOT what I needed

Frustrated I have no BBM. Gary and I are set to record PScast today and agreed on recording time via email this morning. Running late, I decided to test out my Skype for iPhone. Logged on and see Gary online. Send him a chat message, all goes well. He receives it and responds. Yay, it works. I tell him I'm logging on now to Mac and the rest is history. We do PScast and discuss my new purchase. Gary is using his G1 now too, so we are both having semi-withdrawals from our BB's.

Wednesday, April 29th
    First issue with iPhone today. Was at Tyler's soccer tryouts and husband was trying to SMS me. For some odd reason, text from husband was sent 7 times. I try to send him a message to reply/ask him why he sent it so many times and the status bar for transmission goes almost 100%, stalls for about a minute adn then doesn't send. No error message, no reason. Hmm. Try sending it again. Same thing. This goes on for about 5 minutes. Finally I get it to go through and he responds that he only sent once. Double Hmm...

Checking out Tweetie today. Although Twiltr is a great app, Tweetie has more features that I would like to see in a stand alone client. Its not free, at $2.99 (same cost as Twiltr) but after doing more research, find out its the preferred iPhone Twitter client so I go for it. Still haven't found anything that compares to SocialScope for the BlackBerry.

Missing my FreeRange for BlackBerry, I found a free RSS application. Its not exactly the same, but I have decided not to pay for anymore apps. For now, it works. It gets me my important news -- but remember, no auto-refresh because it doesn't run in the background (this is my main gripe, as you can see).

A couple of times today the Mail application returned an error that my password for my email was wrong. I didn't change anything. Then, next time it polled, it was fine again. This was for my hosted email that goes through my webserver.

Friday, May 1st
    Haven't downloaded any games yet. The kids (mainly Tyler) keep asking, so I decided to go and search some free games. I've already spent $16 on apps so I wanted to go free for now. Though I love games, I will not normally pay for them. I downloaded some classic "type" games like Checkers Free!, Galaga Remix Lite, WordSearch Unlimited Lite, and a car driving game called Ferrari GT Evolution: Lite version. I also downloaded Virtual Zippo Lighter -- you blow on the microphone to make the flame move; I never got it to go out completely and Mood Sense Lite (neat yes, but really no purpose). Synced with iTunes, no issues.

This time, Gary is running late for PScast. He's got his G1 and doesn't have any of my numbers in the address book. He sent me an email at 12:02 PST. It didn't arrive on my iPhone for 12 minutes. But before it even arrived, Gary was smart enough to log into Twitter and send me a DM, which sends me an SMS. Smart thinking Gary! This may be easier than giving everyone my cell number for SMS. Awesome

Saturday, May 2nd
    Been clicking on links in Twitter and RSS feeds for YouTube videos. Unfortunately, none of the ones that I clicked on were even viewable as they were seriously pixelated. Not sure how to completely explain, but the quality was terrible. Use the YouTube icon, search a couple of soccer vids and same thing Re-search for High Definition videos. These are better quality, but still not what I was expecting. I thought this was supposed to be THE media smartphone. Load up movie, Over the Hedge (from my iTunes library) and its not too bad...but when I converted it I optimized for iPod. Oh well, video watching isn't that big on my list of stuff. Just another disappointment though.

Issue with SMS not going through happened twice today plus one freeze for no apparent reason. A power off seemed to reset it. Haven't been able to repeat the error. Wondering if its because I added more third party apps. Also 3G on Bold seems to be stronger signal than for the iPhone. Here in house and about town I notice where I usually don't have any issues with Bold moving to EDGE or GPRS, the iPhone will go completely off with a small circle indicator (didn't research to find out what this meant, but assumed it to be little gprs or SOS?). This is really super annoying as there have been numerous times where I opened the browser to check something out only to be told I don't have an internet connection. UGH.

Getting pretty fast at the typing, mostly because my mistakes are normally auto corrected Carpal tunnel still bothering me. Cramping in hands seems to happen frequently. I'm missing my Bold keyboard. Big time.

The email issue with the password happened two more times today. Although inconvenient and not sure why its happening, its not too big of a deal.

Monday, May 4th
    Woke up this morning to a frozen unresponsive iPhone. A power off/on reset it. I feel disconnected from my all my friends. The whole "who moved my cheese" is a major understatement. Downloaded some more games, only to give it to my daughter to play with. I really want to give this device a true chance. I begin searching on how to jailbreak it, thinking that if I had more options that maybe I would end up keeping it. The directions look like a foreign language to me and although I feel like I could do anything with a BlackBerry, when you are out of your element, fear kicks in. Worried that I would brick this beyond my ability to bring it back, I decided against the jailbreaking.

Stage left .. enters my BlackBerry. I reluctantly restore my last backup to the Curve 8310 and call AT&T to switch my plan back to BIS (unfortunately I could change my device online, but not the actual plan .. meh).

Epilogue/Final Thoughts
    I have been using a BlackBerry, uninterrupted, for 4 years. Unless there was an outtage, I have never had issues receiving emails. My applications run in the background and most update/refresh automatically. I have 40+ friends on BBM, of which I speak to at least 90% everyday (some don't have txt message plans either, so keeping up with them was tough). I have 5 emails accounts pushed to my device, receiving approximately 200+ emails a day. The iPhone doesn't have a "mark all read" or "delete prior" .. this in itself is enough to drive someone crazy! Even the RSS reader had "mark all read". And the big downer, being a theme builder and all, I was not able to change anything but the wallpaper background that you ONLY see on the lock screen -- unless its jailbroken. As I have said previously, I was tempted to purchase an iPhone three times in the past year. Each time there was something there to make me change my mind. The first was last summer when the 3G first came out. Luckily, my local AT&T store was out of them. The second time was when my Curve died and I needed to get a new device, same day. Unfortunately, AT&T won't let you early upgrade to an iPhone. Anything else and you are good to go. The third time I talked myself out of, with the help of my BlackBerry addict friends -- enablers if you will. No need for an "I told you so" .. because I'm telling myself .. What was I thinking?

Click here for screenshots of the applications I mentioned above.

Schirripal no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    2096c6ec
    Thanks for the info it means so much cuz I was one of those bb users either to get an iphone or a bold
    And I'm glad now I stuck with my bold sounds like more of a pain in the rear to be and iphone user
    I love my programs to run in the background and setting them to update automatically so that is the biggest downfall
    I think of what you wrote and 2nd the fact the email updates every 15 min, every min counts in the corp world
    So overall I think the Iphone does have some nice touches to it but for only a play-personel sense not a
    Corp user sense or a busy bee lol thanks for sealing the deal with my bold
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

BBqwest no está en línea Stack level 3
    Wow cherrie you had quite an experience with that iphone huh. I'm glad you came back into the light. I'm wonderin if you gave it to your kids or if you use it as toilet paper now. Jk. Lol. Anyways welcome back to blackberrys anonymuos. Aka crackberry.

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask
    rofl! I can only imaging the frustration. I'm tied/locked to BB also, even if I wanted to switch I could, there's no way I can stop using BBM with so many contact. Don't think rim knew how important pin messaging would be as far as "securing" customers. It's amazing that the iPhone is so popular with the many weaknesses compared to BB. Lets hope they address these in the coming iPhone 3.0.

You sound a lot like me when i tried the Storm. But at least at the core the Storm has BB services (bbm etc). But maybe something about "touch" just hasn't won me over yet. I think when it comes to touch smartphones the Android is closest thus far.

Let the new launches begin!

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    Quote Originally Posted by hayden View Post

You sound a lot like me when i tried the Storm. But at least at the core the Storm has BB services (bbm etc). But maybe something about "touch" just hasn't won me over yet. I think when it comes to touch smartphones the Android is closest thus far.

Let the new launches begin!
    you know how badly i wanted that white iphone too

needless to say, if this iphone was running the blackberry platform and looked all sexy and sleek, i wouldn't have ever thought twice about it. but there were too many unfortunate short-comings that I couldn't do without.

and no, i haven't returned it or given it to my kids .. yet. still trying to decide what I want to do. for now tho, i am so happy to be back on my bold.

your husband wouldnt allow you to have your Bold back huh? lol

edit: nevermind misread wb on the bold

WhitePearlPXL no está en línea Stack level 4
    i agree with this. stock iphones are definitely worthless. it really needs a good jailbreaking to get the full deal. SBSettings, Backgrounder, Cycorder, ClearCam, Snapture, Winterboards, IntelliScreen, etc. are all for JB iphones only and they make life on the iphone a hell of a lot more fun.
    Last edited by WhitePearlPXL; 05-06-2009 at 04:36 AM.
    Paolo
    Moto Droid with SteamROM v4.0.5 Steam Theme
    Steam 1.2ghz Low Voltage Kernel
    Apple MacBook Pro
    Jeremiah 29:11
    Try us out! www.mycellularsource.com

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Quote Originally Posted by WhitePearlPXL View Post
    i agree with this. stock iphones are definitely worthless. it really needs a good jailbreaking to get the full deal. SBSettings, Backgrounder, Cycorder, ClearCam, Snapture, Winterboards, IntelliScreen, etc. are all for JB iphones only and they make life on the iphone a hell of a lot more fun.
    Obviously you've put a lot of time into your iPhone.

I guess some of it comes down to time spent. I mean we do hack and customize our BBs also. Not in one week, but over months for most and years for others. After years of being very intricate with any device, its going to be VERY hard to switch. There are still PALM users out there who couldn't make the switch to BB due to this same reason. lol The Pre will be heaven sent for them.

WhitePearlPXL no está en línea Stack level 4
    Quote Originally Posted by hayden View Post
    Obviously you've put a lot of time into your iPhone.

I guess some of it comes down to time spent. I mean we do hack and customize our BBs also. Not in one week, but over months for most and years for others. After years of being very intricate with any device, its going to be VERY hard to switch. There are still PALM users out there who couldn't make the switch to BB due to this same reason. lol The Pre will be heaven sent for them.
    Couldn't be more true. I remember learning almost everything there was to learn about my curve which I loved so dearly. I guess the thing that made me stick to the iPhone was the fact that it was already jailbroken from day one LOL

papareyenc no está en línea Stack level 3
    Hey Cherri!

Welcome Back

thanks for the wonderful insight.

...and I love the title of your "diary"

now let me get that song and put it on for all to enjoy

"..i bought a toothbrush...i mean Iphone..."

he hehehe

calm_tiger no está en línea Stack level 5
    She did mention that this wasn't a review. Different strokes for different folks. I'm perfectly ok with the switch from the bold and using it for myback up device

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    This is an interesting statement. From your post " I feel disconnected from my all my friends. The whole "who moved my cheese" is a major understatement".
    I fit into this category also after switching over to the iPhone. (release date).
    After 6 months of using the iPhone3G I switched back to the bold also. The Bold ROCKS!.
    Then I began to looking at other things (I wont hijack or get off topic) and ended up switching back to the iPhone. I feel your BBM pain, as stated is can be important (who knew).
    I will predict someday you will be back on a Touch screen (may not be Apple) but never-the-less a Touch screen that has both portrait and landscape to stretch out on.

It's always nice to experience new things, we seem to grow from it.

bmanley no está en línea Stack level 4
    Welcome back, We knew you not be away long!!!!

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Hi, I really enjoyed reading your thoughts on using an Iphone. I have often thought of switching as I love gadgets and the TV adverts are sooo tempting. Apple really nows how to advertise
    Things that have stopped me are: touch screen, I don't like getting fingerprints on the screen, not been able to pull the battery I have had a number of IPODS which either have the disk die or the batteru die, either way very frustrating. Don't want to be tied to Itunes its bad enough being tied to a carrier. I don't like the efforts Apple are making to stop jailbreaking
    So having read your diary, there are even more reasings to not swap. Still it does look so good and it works with SKYPE. Maybe one day I will be able to have both and Iphone and the Bold.

JoshSeawell no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    Glad to see you back on the blackberry
    -Josh

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast