Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

AT&T's network crumbled in Las Vegas as over 120,000 CES attendees tried to access email, ... Smartphone News forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

AT&T vs Verizon at CES 2010 in Las Vegas = AT&T Fails

Advertisement

AT&T's network crumbled in Las Vegas as over 120,000 CES attendees tried to access email, Tweet, launch data-powered apps, use SMS and make or receive calls. I can also confirm that from my iPhone I had difficulties browsing, making calls and sending out SMS messages. Connecting to a WiFi hotspot was the only solution for anything data related. Being purely a carrier issue, it makes you again question... "Will the iPhone soon be available on other US carriers' networks?!"

After the various complains, AT&T released the following statement:
    “In preparation for CES, we optimized our network in Las Vegas by significantly augmenting our network capacity. However, at an event such as CES, where large numbers of people in a dense area are using smartphones over finite spectrum, periods of network congestion can occur. Our network engineers on site continue to take steps to optimize our network as needed for the large number of mobile broadband customers at CES.”
    On the other hand, Verizon Wireless chief technology officer, Dick Lynch, was happy to report that the Verizon network was not experiencing any problems at all in Las Vegas. He explained:
    “What we have done and continue to do is have a buffer of capacity above what our demand is at any given point in time. When we see consumer demand begin to feed into that capacity, we scurry out there to add more capacity. This is a very simple concept and something we have done religiously over the years.”

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    Im glad Im running my iPhone on TMO.
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

DjSmooth no está en línea Stack Professional
    That is just a Shame AT&T, I really can't see Apple Sticking with them for the next Gen IPhone in June.

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    You would think ATT would figure it out some day!
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

phillyslix no está en línea Stack level 4
    I was in Last Vegas over the summer when there was no CES and I had no service with my iPhone 3GS on AT&T. Wifi was the solution for data at that time as well.
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.0.1; en-us; Droid Build/ESD56) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    As a formerly devout BB user I was against iPhone, not for any good reason, just that it was not a BB. Then I got an iPod Touch last year and completely understood the iPhone's attraction and even considered getting one, but AT&T's network issues are what held me back. I have friends with iPhones who love their phones but hate the dropped calls etc. that they experience here on the east side of the Phoenix valley. There is no phone on earth that could tempt me to switch to AT&T at this time....

I am now exploring the Android world with my Moto DROID but if VZW ever gets the iPhone I will be more tempted to give it a try....maybe, I really do <3 my Droid

I do wonder though about the statistics at CES, meaning how many AT&T users vs. VZW users there were and if AT&T legitimately had a much greater data load to handle. It's hard to compare without knowing if VZW was under the same strain and just performed better or if they just did not have as much to deal with as AT&T.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    I am not trying to defend ATT, but just wonder if the majority at CES were using IPhones and phones with multi-tasking accessing the web, wouldn't ATT have a bigger surge on their network than Verizon.

It would be fairer to ask what percentage were on ATT and what percentage were on Verizon, the specify if Verizon coped well. I wonder if Verizon could cope with Iphones on their network?

KalebsDad78 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask
    Well, with Verizon having a reported 89 million subscribers and AT&T having 77 million (#'s from their websites) it would suggest, Verizon probably had just as many or a comparable amount of subscribers on-hand at CES. These are tech-savvy people so I would assume there was a good mixture of devices here & not just iPhone's so I think the latest trends in the two networks would indicate Verizon's was just better prepared and was able to handle the traffic.

AT&T continues to see these problems in NY, San Francisco, etc. so why would Las Vegas be any different during this time?
    New User? - Read the NEW USERS GUIDE

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    The overall number of subscribers is not as important as the number of smartphone and wireless laptop aircard subscribers. Out of curiosity does anyone have stats for that with these two carriers?
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.0.1; en-us; Droid Build/ESD56) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17

WhitePearlPXL no está en línea Stack level 4
    i don't think it's the amount of people that's the question either. to me it's the question of being a competent carrier. verizon seems to have the very fundamentals down. where people need it, go. at&t is clueless and i don't see them getting a clue anytime soon with their epic fail announcement of their 7.2mbps network. your people don't need faster at&t. they need... well.. something.
    Paolo
    Moto Droid with SteamROM v4.0.5 Steam Theme
    Steam 1.2ghz Low Voltage Kernel
    Apple MacBook Pro
    Jeremiah 29:11
    Try us out! www.mycellularsource.com

ealvnv no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    Just to say something out 600+ people we had at the hotel coming to CES they all were smartphone users, how I know? Wifi server statics.... If that is useful to this discussion

Quote Originally Posted by DjSmooth View Post
    That is just a Shame AT&T, I really can't see Apple Sticking with them for the next Gen IPhone in June.
    VZ may be getting the 4th gen iPhone. Thanks for the tip srl7741

http://iphone.appleinsider.com/articles/10/01/12/apples_next_gen_dual_core_iphone_could_debut_in_ap ril_report.html#12542-1-0
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

ventz no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxmatts View Post
    Im glad Im running my iPhone on TMO.
    Same here, but i've noticed TMO's edge SUCKS in some areas -- very very badly. In a major city near Boston, I get 20kbps down and like 8up with 5 bars of signal.

I can't wait for the 3G iPhone on TMO's network. If that doesn't happen by June, I will probably switch to something else.

That is pretty bad. I get 195kbps download and 95 up. But I use my wifi 95% of the time which is
    Download: 9768 kbps
    Upload: 2461 kbps. So I'm not really missing 3G.

Quote Originally Posted by ventz View Post
    Same here, but i've noticed TMO's edge SUCKS in some areas -- very very badly. In a major city near Boston, I get 20kbps down and like 8up with 5 bars of signal.

I can't wait for the 3G iPhone on TMO's network. If that doesn't happen by June, I will probably switch to something else.

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    I think a few good points were raised all around here. What was the ratio of subscribers, both mobile device and air card, present from each carrier. It could definitely skew the end results if one had a larger majority then the other. On the other hand, we have been seeing for quite some time now that AT&T lacks the sufficient bandwidth in many of their major metro markets to accommodate the demands of customers. Whether it be a total lack of data service or the constant switching from 3G to EDGE, many, many users have experienced this problem in higher density areas such as NYC or LA. Based solely on that, I am not surprised AT&T had issues at an event like CES where the data loads had to be enormous.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast