Seeking to gain more ground in an already competitive wireless market, Deutsche Telekom, parent company ... Smartphone News forum

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask

T-Mobile Seeks Wireless Partner

Advertisement

Seeking to gain more ground in an already competitive wireless market, Deutsche Telekom, parent company of T-Mobile, is seeking an investment partner according to a report in German newspaper Handelsblatt, picked up by Reuters. The main interest is for someone to help finance the multi-billion dollar cost of faster data networks. Verizon has recently shown gaps in the 3G network of major rivals with it's "There's a map for that" ad campaign, touting it's much more extensive network. At the same time however, VZW is already planning it's next generation data network, LTE, slated for a major roll-out in the coming year. While other carriers have promised to offer equivalent services, consumers are still wondering just how fast coverage will come to them and at what price.

Mobile carriers are recognizing that one of the most profitable arms of the mobile industry is smartphone usage and the data demands that go along with it. We are seeing less and less 'dumbphones' from manufacturers and more that are designed to keep us constantly connected. With that comes the need for more bandwidth and demands for faster speeds. In that light, it seems more financially responsible for T-Mobile to get a partner to help with the cost rather then going it alone and slowing the overall roll-out or passing the cost along to the consumer. This isn't to say that either couldn't still happen however. According to the report, "...partners include competitors MetroPCS (PCS.N), Clearwire (CLWR.O), and AT&T (T.N) and companies from outside the industry such as a financial investor..." It also said that Deutsche Telekom, "is no longer considering a share sale and a takeover of rival Sprint-Nextel" as had been reported a short time ago. No official statement has been issued from Deutsche Telekom, but the report cites information from sources inside the company, close to the talks.

It will be interesting to see where this goes. Will T-Mobile remain unchanged if it partners with AT&T and just enjoy the use of the data service without the massive expenditure, or will it be a marriage with another company that would drastically affect pricing and service. I personally have been a loyal and happy customer of T-Mobile for 8 years and really hope that the former ends up being the result as T-Mobile has always had two things going for them that has kept me for so long; low prices and great customer service.

Check out the full article from Reuters here.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    I could see AT&T getting involved in this, if for nothing more than to keep pace with its arch-rival Verizon.
    Last edited by RogerG; 11-23-2009 at 03:58 PM.

Jaricanese no está en línea Software Pro
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    Quote Originally Posted by RoGro View Post
    I could see AT&T getting involved in this, if for nothing more than to keep pace with is arch-rival Verizon.
    I so agree. With all the news from the AT&T and Verizon battle, something like that makes a lot of sense.

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    I'm lamenting the idea of AT&T having anything to do with T-Mo. While I would actually welcome the increase in coverage, I want nothing to do with that particular company.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

WhitePearlPXL no está en línea Stack level 4
    Quote Originally Posted by MStrawder View Post
    I'm lamenting the idea of AT&T having anything to do with T-Mo. While I would actually welcome the increase in coverage, I want nothing to do with that particular company.
    +1
    Paolo
    Moto Droid with SteamROM v4.0.5 Steam Theme
    Steam 1.2ghz Low Voltage Kernel
    Apple MacBook Pro
    Jeremiah 29:11
    Try us out! www.mycellularsource.com

rush420 no está en línea Stack level 2
    I compleatly agree if at&t partners with tmobile both networks will sink.

RemyKirin no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask me
    Quote Originally Posted by WhitePearlPXL View Post
    +1
    I too agree I left AT$T for a reason...
    ----
    "If you aren't remembered, then you never existed." – Arisu

"I'm watching a dream I'll never wake up from.." - Spike Spiegel