SideKick users have been lamenting for over a week about the widespread outage of their ... Smartphone News forum

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask

T-Mobile Admits Sidekick User Data Probably Lost

Advertisement

SideKick users have been lamenting for over a week about the widespread outage of their data network. In fact, if you were to call T-Mobile's customer support, you're likely to still here the message saying they're automatically crediting all SideKick users with a free month of data services. It seems however that the loss of connectivity wasn't the end of the problems for users.

via DownloadSquad: "If you're a T-Mobile Sidekick user, today is probably not a good day for you. T-Mobile has posted on their forum that they (well, actually they're blaming Microsoft and Danger) have "almost certainly" lost their users' data:

[from T-Mobile]"Regrettably, based on Microsoft/Danger's latest recovery assessment of their systems, we must now inform you that personal information stored on your device - such as contacts, calendar entries, to-do lists or photos - that is no longer on your Sidekick almost certainly has been lost as a result of a server failure at Microsoft/Danger. That said, our teams continue to work around-the-clock in hopes of discovering some way to recover this information. However, the likelihood of a successful outcome is extremely low."

Full article here.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    Just horrible ... read that on BGR this morning. Is there not a way to backup PIM on the sidekick?

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    There is the desktop application that you can access through mytmobile.com.

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    Then I guess I'm missing the whole feeling of "catastrophe" .. no backup, who's fault is that?

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    This isn't the first time this has happened. There was a week long outage a few years ago that thankfully I wasn't a part of.

jhall1986 no está en línea Stack level 3
    My sister and friend got hit by this. Its going to get ugly.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    I can't imagine how that could be explained to all those who lost information. There is no excuse for that to happen in this day and age. Someone has a new name "Mud".

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    I had to go in search of.......... I found this interesting article on a possible explanation.

Link to article

It's a long read but interesting. I feel sorry for all the people effected by this.

Hayden made a great post the other day Here and in addition to the list being able to Backup the device should be a requirement and I don't mean to the Cloud either.

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    I was watching a news story on this today and it seems one of the ways they will try to make it up to the customers is a free month of data. Most responses I have seen say this is not near enough. I guess we will see.

jeffpettis no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    PM me!
    wow, thats messed up. i read that in BGR also. Its like they have to keep the phone running all the time and never to have the phone cut off to keep their data intact. Otherwise goodbye data and i mean all of it! Man, when i read that i hit up desktop manager and quickly did a backup.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    They have also suspended the sale of the Sidekick.

jeffpettis no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    PM me!
    Quote Originally Posted by moderncowboy View Post
    They have also suspended the sale of the Sidekick.
    Is that permeate? or till they fix the problem

carol73 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    215B0111
    the free month does that go for prepaid customers too. My son had no AIM service and my nephew. So what do you think I should do?

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Call T-Mo and ask. I'm sure they will extend the offer to all SK customers who were affected by the outage.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffpettis View Post
    Is that permeate? or till they fix the problem
    From what I understand it is just until they figure out what caused the problem and fix it.