Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Its the last thing we all do before taking off on a flight right? I ... Smartphone News forum

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

Surfing in flight getting closer to reality?

Advertisement

Its the last thing we all do before taking off on a flight right? I mean, I wait until the flight attendant actually comes on the speaker and tells me to turn off my blackberry before I actually do it...waiting until the VERY last minute to make sure I get every email and TXT message sent to me before taking off.

It looks as if we are getting closer to NOT EVER having to give up our addiction. JetBlue was the first airline here in the states to announce testing of in-flight interent/wifi, back in December. Southwest, American, and Virgin (to name a few) will start their own testing in the coming months. The in-flight wireless will include internet/emails with the FCC announcing that they will disable internet phone services such as Skype ("to ensure peace and quiet in the cabin"). Additionally, the European Commision has approved the use of cell phones in-flight and has been testing on a couple of European airlines.

Are you a frequent traveler? Maybe your company has got your flying all over the place on business? How much MORE efficient would you be if you could answer emails and conduct most of your business in the 1-5 hours you spend on a plane? Also, this raises the question of technical support. If you have problems/issues with connectivity, do you ask the flight attendant for help?

read more here
    source: sfgate.com

Bluebell Wood no está en línea Stack level 3
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

This was on the BBC news about being able to use mobiles in European airspace after takeoff & before landing. It is apparently also going to be very expensive!!

PIN/ID
    ATA
    another quote from the article:
    Aircell, which is providing the wireless service for American and Virgin America, is looking at charging $12.95 for flights longer than three hours and less for shorter trips. Row 44, which supplies the technology for Alaska Airlines and Southwest, is working with its carrier partners to set pricing, which hasn't been determined. JetBlue uses technology from its subsidiary LiveTV and is offering wireless access free on its one test airplane, which flies cross-country.
    not sure about the phone service for European flights, as it wasn't noted in this particular article. also not sure how they would charge for phone calls, would be interested to find out. i am sure the WIFI will be setup like any other normal PAY FOR wifi connection...

g1skard no está en línea Stack level 2
    As a frequent flyer I'm dreading this. The noise of people all on the phone on a plane is not going to be fun.

It will be expensive as the plane is equipped with a picco cell that forwards your call via satellite. The standard satellite charges currently for this are €2.66/min. So hopefully cost will keep the planes quiet...

Data costs will be even higher

Bluebell Wood no está en línea Stack level 3
    Here is an article from the BBC website for anyone who may be interested.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7050576.stm

raeford no está en línea Stack level 2
    Because I fly frequently, I've been keeping up with these developments. Having the ability to be productive in flight would be invaluable to me (since its impossible to sleep anyway). I DO applaud the FCC for not allowing phone calls, as this would be extremely annoying to have some giggly teenager talking on the phone the entire flight while seated next to you. But as for the issue of tech support, I haven't thought of that. I suppose it would be out of the question (at least initially) to expect a timely fix...especially on short flights.

lucky13mt no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    yeah im thinking this will become a problem if it happens.

maybe even start fights inside a plane because someone wants to sleep but the person on the phone has an important phone call to make.

if anything this would be good if they put a separate room in the plane for people that plan on talking on the phone. a "business cabin" if you will.
    BlackBerry Rocks!<-Check it out!

PIN/ID
    ATA
    ^^ good idea. maybe a little phone booth size room? the business class airlines should jump on that one

jbean7916 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    245A99C3
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~or maybe BB addicts only airline!!! We could be rich!!

Dirty Cash no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    3G
    Quote Originally Posted by cherrichiodo View Post
    ^^ good idea. maybe a little phone booth size room? the business class airlines should jump on that one
    Just another way to join the mile high club! LOL!!!

ted
    ted no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I can't see how being on a call on a BB is any different from using those credit card phones in the seat in front of you. I don't remember ever seeing anyone use the thing in econmy class (except it Die Hard 2).So I could see some people using (and therefor keeping someone else awake). But as with anything I bet the novelty will wear off in a few months and it'll just be a fact if life.

I think it's pretty cool that you might have in-flight Wi-Fi. It would be like sitting in a cafe the whole trip (now if they'd just keep the esspresso coming!) Just think of all the laptop geeks as well- BBs aren't the only Wi-Fi device on the planet, you could have some wise guy with a Macbook trying to recreate the iPhone add where he looks up the weather at the destination.

rachaelp no está en línea Stack level 3
    They won't take up additional space for a mini-phone booth. I can't imagine calls. They can choose to only allow data, right? I am all for that.

Though I usually update Viigo right before the plane taxis down the runway, and have enough to read through a short flight. I rarely spend money on magazines anymore. It would be nice to use the WiFi to update it for long flights.

fCastle no está en línea Stack level 3
    I found it to be very useful and a surprisingly quiet flight.

PIN/ID
    ATA
    Quote Originally Posted by rachaelp View Post
    Though I usually update Viigo right before the plane taxis down the runway, and have enough to read through a short flight. I rarely spend money on magazines anymore. It would be nice to use the WiFi to update it for long flights.
    haha...i do the same thing. viigo is my life save for reading on the flight

monilovesedmond no está en línea Stack level 3
    That would be so cool if they decide to do this. I do agree, however, that actual talking on the phone might become a problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast