One might expect a doctoral student conducting research on BlackBerry usage to own one or ... Smartphone News forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Study: BlackBerry Use

Advertisement

One might expect a doctoral student conducting research on BlackBerry usage to own one or more of the handheld devices. But Melissa Mazmanian, a fourth-year MIT Sloan doctoral student, doesn't own one, and she prefers it this way.

Mazmanian's study of how people use the BlackBerry in their everyday lives has already drawn attention in the Wall Street Journal and The Independent and on National Public Radio. Her research won an Academy of Management award in its division last summer.

When Mazmanian first began her research, which has been funded by the National Science Foundation, she decided it was best not to have preconceived notions, and thus she never purchased a BlackBerry.

Read more

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Re: Study: BlackBerry Use

Very interesting. Thanks Hayden.

Dirty Cash no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    3G

I can see alot of fact in her studies. At the same time, no where did I see the average user as one of the "study groups". Or did I miss that.

Blackberries can become a very dependent heavy device/recreation. I know that when sitting around waitibg on appointments or collegues to finishe their business, I pass the time by "checking in" with my Berry!

Can't beat the fact that you can get information anytime anywhere. I was crazy addicted when I purchased my first Berry (my current model is my second). I have made the vow that as long as there is a BB, I'll never again purchase a traditional cellphone again.

I'm sure that given a little time, Ms. Mazmanian will be the owner of a Blackberry...would be interesting to see if after her doctoral study on this subject is complete, how long it would take her to get one. Seeing as though she spends so much time around users (studying them) that the itch would become unbearable!

Good story!

via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

patcatuk no está en línea Stack level 3

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I had a good laugh when I saw that she missed a tv show appearance because she didn't get the invite in time. Perfect use for the BB LOL
    Last edited by EricaJ1073; 03-24-2007 at 05:04 PM.

Atomicmoose no está en línea Stack level 1

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Good arty. After having a BB for 3 years now, I cannot imagine going back to not having one.

CoolFinalFan no está en línea Stack level 4

Arrow Re: Study: BlackBerry Use

good find...!

moses2628 no está en línea Stack level 6

The only thing I regret is not getting a BB sooner!!!!!!

BBWrangler no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    219DFD90

That partner retreat sounds exactly like one I had to support last fall.

The stuff that she does mention about her research is pretty spot on from what I've seen with my own users. I swear they twitch a little if they're without their BB's too long (even though they're in the same building). BTW, there's nothing anyone will ever be able to tell me that will convince me that having BB coverage in the Galapagos Islands is going to make your trip more enjoyable. (And no, the user doesn't have a Pearl, so the pictures excuse won't work.)

Other's however, honestly couldn't care less, and only have them because we issue devices the day they arrive. That is until that fateful day some partner "asks" them if they'll be avaialble via their BB when they go on vactation/honeymoon/date/grandmother's funeral/epic quest in the outback to find themselves/etc... Then they call to ask for a travel charger, because they have no clue where the one we gave them with the BB is now.
    It doesn't record video. Get over it.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

LOL BBWrangler...that had to be an experience

cwax no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    32DEF7BB

Quote Originally Posted by moses2628
    The only thing I regret is not getting a BB sooner!!!!!!
    DITTO!!

cool story