Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

You would think if your not the number 1 or the number 2 carrier you ... Smartphone News forum

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

Sprint to officially block tethering

Advertisement

You would think if your not the number 1 or the number 2 carrier you would be promoting it by giving customers everything you possibly could in hopes of attracting business. Taking away a feature makes it even more confusing.

Recently without notice Sprint decided to block tethering for smartphones on their network out of the blue. And Sprint customers are furious about the changes. I read comments that some people may quit the service just because of the change. It doesn’t matter if you are on the “Everything” plan or not, tethering will no longer work for you starting in 2010.

The changes were confirmed by Sprint executive David Owens. During a virtual chat on the Sprint website, Owens also revealed that Google Android OS updates will be added to the HTC Hero and the Samsung Moment. The price of Android phones will decrease “as we see volume across the industry” according to Owens.

via Pulse2

jg1thomas no está en línea Stack level 2
    What is tethering on cell phones?

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    It's when you use your device as a modem to connect to the internet.

tafadzwa no está en línea Stack level 2
    Wow, this is so wrong... Looks like sprint is losing another customer.

MotoUp no está en línea BES Pro
    Yikes! That's crazy! Glad I'm not a Sprint customer. And God forbid VZW try and pull something like this. I actually use it all the time.

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    I don't use it much, but it is a nice option to have when I travel. Glad I'm not with Sprint.

dirtypirate no está en línea Stack level 2
    Dear sprint:

This is yet another stupid decision that self contradicts your "logical business approach" of inticing new customers with the so called "everything" plans.

vinnyjr no está en línea Stack level 2
    I'm not with Sprint, they are one of the worst carriers. I use to have their wireless internet plan with the Novatel usb attachment. I was constantly loosing conection, I'm in a Boston suburb with great location to all their so called high tech towers. Very unreliable so I dropped them and bought out of contract. Don't mean to sling mud but dropping the tethering ability isn't going to save them any money, it's just going to loose them customers. I use my phone for tethering on emergencies when I might loose a conection on the go somewhere. Very convenient. Bad move Sprint. Not a very smart move.

eyecon82 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post
    You would think if your not the number 1 or the number 2 carrier you would be promoting it by giving customers everything you possibly could in hopes of attracting business. Taking away a feature makes it even more confusing.

Recently without notice Sprint decided to block tethering for smartphones on their network out of the blue. And Sprint customers are furious about the changes. I read comments that some people may quit the service just because of the change. It doesn’t matter if you are on the “Everything” plan or not, tethering will no longer work for you starting in 2010.

The changes were confirmed by Sprint executive David Owens. During a virtual chat on the Sprint website, Owens also revealed that Google Android OS updates will be added to the HTC Hero and the Samsung Moment. The price of Android phones will decrease “as we see volume across the industry” according to Owens.

via Pulse2
    I think you have it all wrong, for those with PAM, it will still work

Sprint blocked tethering for all those without PAM (phone as modem) plan....what is so wrong with that?

For many years, sprint subscribers could tether, even without a PAM plan, without worrying about incurring charges..

Quote Originally Posted by MotoUp View Post
    Yikes! That's crazy! Glad I'm not a Sprint customer. And God forbid VZW try and pull something like this. I actually use it all the time.
    glad you're not a sprint customer?

LOL!!!! verizon chargs like $40 extra for PAM...sprint users had it free all along....

I still have my PAM for free as an add-on.

You use it all the time because it is in your plan......if it wasn't...you couldn't be using it because verizon would rape you with charges

shawnvictor no está en línea Stack level 2
    This sucks because we have 80+ users that have this as part of there plan..

Quote Originally Posted by shawnvictor View Post
    This sucks because we have 80+ users that have this as part of there plan..
    If its part of your plan, it'll still work for you.

couchpotato no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    294AB7EF
    i was on nextel, and when sprint took them over , thats was it for me
    best decision i ever made. so when is t mobile gona put sprint out of its misery any way

Infinitymach no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    30BEC5B6
    thats very interesting. i have sprint and have had it for years(nextel included). i became a loyal customer because of the simply everything plan while other friends and family members were getting raped and robed left hand over right by cingular and verizon. i have now tried to used the pam(i have the tour bb) and still unable to have my laptop and bb sync...but thats another story. to have the tethering and everything else at one rate is incredible. to lose it would be a setback for sprint, but again, lets just hope the lose of tethering only applies to the smartphones without a modem. thanks for the info bb fam.

wheelz no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ask4pin
    Quote Originally Posted by eyecon82 View Post
    glad you're not a sprint customer?

LOL!!!! verizon chargs like $40 extra for PAM...sprint users had it free all along....

I still have my PAM for free as an add-on.

You use it all the time because it is in your plan......if it wasn't...you couldn't be using it because verizon would rape you with charges
    Verizon allows storm users and now the tour users to have phone as modem as an option. The older devices like my 8330 have to pay extra for that option. Moto uses a storm2 and it is a free option no extra charges. Sprint really needs to get there act together if they would like to gain business.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast