Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sprint Nextel confirmed reports about coming layoffs, announcing that it will cut about 4,000 jobs ... Smartphone News forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Sprint Nextel Announces 4,000 Job Cuts

Advertisement

Sprint Nextel confirmed reports about coming layoffs, announcing that it will cut about 4,000 jobs and close about 8% of its stores in the first half of this year. Sprint hopes the layoffs will trim labor costs by an annual rate of $700 to $800 million. The company said the cuts will be across the company, including managers.

Sprint also said it anticipates "continued downward pressure on subscriber trends, revenues and profitability" for the coming year. The company said it will close more than 4,000 third-party distribution points and resellers and close about 125 branded retail stores.

Read More

mykeandme no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: Sprint Nextel Announces 4,000 Job Cuts

Is anyone really suprised?

markmercado no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24267CF8

Thumbs up Re: Sprint Nextel Announces 4,000 Job Cuts

good!

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28

nope i could have told you that. they've lost so many customer the past two quarters, i'm pretty sure it was probably close to 1,700,000 customers. my math may be a little off, but they have lost so much. the only thing that they relly have going for them is that they have ev-do and such. but i here that two foreign carriers are looking to buy them out. that wouldnt surprise me either
    The BlackBerry Guru

[x] My Minds Eye - Life Behind The Lens Of A BlackBerry
    [x] Pinstack Blog
    [x] Twitter

tavella81 no está en línea Stack level 3

While I've had my issues with Sprint, it is sad to see that job cuts and store closures of this size are required to keep the company going. My opinion is that Sprint holds off on WiMax and focus on the largest issue at hand, CUSTOMER SERVICE. Everytime I call in, I get a different answer or a complete BS answer. Fixing existing systems issues would be another step in the right direction. Do you know how pissed off I am when I have to call in EVERY MONTH to have a $75 charge for "Casual Data Usage" is assessed on my accout while a Power Vision plan is attached? Four months now and no one knows why. Why do I like Sprint, well their pricing for the most part. I've had little to no issues with coverage and that would be the number one reason I've stayed with them. You cannot beat the data prices. Verizon, AT&T, and Alltel should be slapped. VZW wanted $45/mo per phone just for data that did not include tethering on a WinMo phone. I spend that on two phones with Sprint. The employer discount is also a huge plus.

I wonder what will take place when the plug is pulled on Nextel. Will they convert to Sprint or leave for another company? Will I have to seek out another cellular provider within the next year or so because the company disolves due to financial difficulties? I hope this is never the case. I wish the best for the company and those who are impacted by the hard times.

blackninja no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    spam=no

it wouldn't surprise me if a group comes in and offers a low ball offer by end of '08 beginning of '09. at the rate they are bleeding customers, sprint can't afford not to accept just about any offer. since the nextel/sprint merger (which was horribly mismanaged) they have only continued to fly further down hill. The CS is poor because Sprint's management team is poor. They no longer have the fundamentals to be a money making entity and until the leadership is changed and the blueprint rebuilt, they will run themselves 12 feet into the ground.

I can't believe they intend to go through with wimax in the state they are in. even if they raise the capitol needed, how long do they think it would take for them to see return on this investment? 10 years? 15? good chance of never? and now with that new htc handset to be carried by Verizon, chances are it will be the first of many handsets you will find on both carriers and in direct competition the fact is Sprint will lose.

kane no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i will stick it out with sprint the only other option is verizon and there prices are too high atat don't have insurance and I'm liable to go thru 2 or 3 phones a year and T-Mobile just sucks worst service even worst customer service

lldru32 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask

Not suprised! It's Sprint

mike22 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    ASKME

not suprised either,without nextel they would be gone.
    Last edited by mike22; 01-20-2008 at 02:26 PM.

JR_Rider no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by tavella81 View Post
    While I've had my issues with Sprint, it is sad to see that job cuts and store closures of this size are required to keep the company going. My opinion is that Sprint holds off on WiMax and focus on the largest issue at hand, CUSTOMER SERVICE. Everytime I call in, I get a different answer or a complete BS answer. Fixing existing systems issues would be another step in the right direction. Do you know how pissed off I am when I have to call in EVERY MONTH to have a $75 charge for "Casual Data Usage" is assessed on my accout while a Power Vision plan is attached? Four months now and no one knows why. Why do I like Sprint, well their pricing for the most part. I've had little to no issues with coverage and that would be the number one reason I've stayed with them. You cannot beat the data prices. Verizon, AT&T, and Alltel should be slapped. VZW wanted $45/mo per phone just for data that did not include tethering on a WinMo phone. I spend that on two phones with Sprint. The employer discount is also a huge plus.

I wonder what will take place when the plug is pulled on Nextel. Will they convert to Sprint or leave for another company? Will I have to seek out another cellular provider within the next year or so because the company disolves due to financial difficulties? I hope this is never the case. I wish the best for the company and those who are impacted by the hard times.
    On a side note...why should Alltel be smacked?? They definitely have better bb plan prices than Sprint and Verizon. Unlimited data plan comes free with any plan that has my circle. Any additional data plans on that same account are only $20 extra.

tavella81 no está en línea Stack level 3

Right, $20 for each additional line. Sprint is only $10 for lines 3-5. Alltel wanted $20 for lines 2-5 in my case if I remember correctly. After matching everything as close to what I carry with Sprint, they wanted almost $60 more a month. To be quite honest, I believe that the pricing on all plans and features should drop over time as they have in the past instead of going up. Quite honestly, would someone please justify why the cost of an SMS message has increased from $0.10 to $0.20? Is it because the cost of Oil has gone up? It's been $0.10 for years. Why the sudden increase? Could it be that the companies would rather charge you for a package now. None of the companies play fair IMO. Some just have better benefits than others I suppose.

PIN/ID
    ASKME

Smile Sprint Layoffs

SPRINT HAS A NEW CEO,and hes cleaning house. the old ceo never want too give up the nextel towers,SPRINT has the fastest net speed,edge cant come close,finally the new ceo said nextel towers off thats were the layoffs come from..and sprint total coverge will be all sprint speed thats 1.4 maps nextel and sprint all will run off the sprint towers,they est. two years nobody will touch sprint.sprint only keeps nextel around because of the 2 way,well sprint finally got the 2way system from nextel,nextel towers off and sprint great singal plus now 2way on sprint,now that a POWER HOUSE, wow.
    1-verizon. 2-att. 3-sprint...now its 1-att, 2.verizon. 3-sprint. this time next year it will bee 1-SPRINT. 2 att. 3-verizon if there still around,by then att or sprint will buy them out,thats the facts,from sprint and att blackberry rep in canada.

PIN/ID
    ASKME

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by JR_Rider View Post
    On a side note...why should Alltel be smacked?? They definitely have better bb plan prices than Sprint and Verizon. Unlimited data plan comes free with any plan that has my circle. Any additional data plans on that same account are only $20 extra.
    yea but alltel is very small,they cant even compair too the 3 gaints.

drew4flt72 no está en línea Stack level 4
    Seriously .....although it's awful that 4,000 jobs are being cut, you don't wait until the last minute to have incentives and and giveaways (Free Palm Centro with 2yr contract ) out of desperation. I have friends at work who have or have had Sprint service and they are or were not happy with it.....(Weak or no signal, Cust Serv)

These towers and overall network were already in place last year when they lost $29 Billion last year. The company's only worth $23 Billion.....is there a problem somewhere??? I don't think that had anything to do with NexTel.

You can read the latest here

Sprint may be heading elsewhere......

jeffpettis no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    PM me!
    Wow, that's a massive cutback of sprint. Man that sucks to hear that. They used to be a good wireless company back in the day. What happend?~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast