Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Hard to imagine how this will play out and what paths they will take to ... Smartphone News forum

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!

Advertisement

Hard to imagine how this will play out and what paths they will take to accommodate the two different technologies. Maybe a new market for the Tour and similar "world" phones that employ both protocols - take your pick when you boot up?
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by ventz View Post
    This could be fantastic for both companies if things go well, or be an extreme disaster.

Tmobile has the BEST customer support in the US, but the slowest network.
    Sprint on the other hand has the FASTEST network, and they cover some very strange areas, but absolutely the WORST customer support service in the US.

If things go well, tmobile could end up with the fastest network, with a very diverse geo spread, and hopefully still good customer support.

It will be interesting to see where this goes. Especially to see how gsm + cdma will merge. I am assuming cdma will just disappear (but I guess they have too much invested in the technology to phase it out -- but eventually they will. It's dead technology that sucks compared to gsm.)
    Sprint's faster network is the cdma technology, so if they dump cdma then they need to convert it to whatever high speed gsm technology they are working towards. And it's easy to call your network the fastest when there is not the volume of data-sucking devices running on it like AT&T is battling with re iPhone.....all of the networks/carriers find some study somewhere that gives their network a slight edge, "biggest", "fastest", "most reliable"....but for every one of them, their performance varies greatly from customer to customer.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

mule0331 no está en línea Stack level 1
    I wouldn't think it would be to hard to merge the 2 carriers. If you remember Sprint used to be GMS before switching to CDMA. It shouldn't be too awful hard to go back, they obviously already have a GSM network.

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by azstar View Post
    ................but for every one of them, their performance varies greatly from customer to customer.
    ...and location too. I sound like a broken record but T-Mobile coverage is very spotty in some locations too in my experience. If I were in a big city situation where coverage isn't a problem, I'd be a T-Mo user in a second because their rates are so attractive.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

ventz no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    A small note about CS -- T-mobile actually received an award for "Best Customer Service in the U.S"

PIN/ID
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by azstar View Post
    Sprint's faster network is the cdma technology, so if they dump cdma then they need to convert it to whatever high speed gsm technology they are working towards. And it's easy to call your network the fastest when there is not the volume of data-sucking devices running on it like AT&T is battling with re iPhone.....all of the networks/carriers find some study somewhere that gives their network a slight edge, "biggest", "fastest", "most reliable"....but for every one of them, their performance varies greatly from customer to customer.
    I disagree about this. Have you seen how many business users have sprint evdo cards? This is truly where Sprint excels In our company alone, there are over half a million. That's just for one company. My last company, everyone used Sprint. All of our vendors and contractors are on Sprint. I haven't seen one Verizon (except for a few personal here and there).

EDIT: I disagree about Sprint being quick because of not having volume. They have volume, just not with Cellphone users. However, I completely agree about ATT + iPhone. One small note though, before ATT got the iphone, they had a similar problem, which says what? They have other problems? Maybe, maybe not. But I definitely remember the same problems a few years before the iPhone came out with ATT (using a blackjack for example, some symbian devices, etc...)

EDIT2: What's interesting is the customer to customer. You are completely right. It seems that in highly populated areas ATT is not very good, and in the middle of no where they are pretty good.

nickjoedotcom no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    30C1D19D
    Love the speculation on this one. First of all I like at&t the least out of all the carriers. So if another big merger puts the hurt on them even more I'd cheer that on. Currently I have Verizon and for the most part I'm happy with what they offer me. They are a bit spendy though so if anything happens I'd like to see more competitive plans and data pricing.

In terms of the different networks they offer that seems like it wouldn't be too difficult to transverse if they were serious about the merger. They could offer dual-band phones going forward...

I recall this rumor came up once before but obviously nothing happened. Maybe things will be different this time.
    BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.191 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Till the day comes where they all move to one standard (LTE) Network, carriers will not be held accountable for any of their claims. If we ever get standards across the board then the consumer can begin to impact all these topics. When or if this ever happens we will be free to move about the country if the service is horrible (without switching phones etc). If the service is horrible yet it's the same type of Network it says more about the carrier which forces them to listen to it's customers or lose business.
    We should be able to chose the device we like/need and not have to worry about which carrier it works with. We don't have GM highways or Ford highways. We have highways and all vehicles are welcome to travel it.
    We all have different TV sets at home but we all get to view the same content from them. My point is the wireless carriers are all raping us every day is many different ways and we shouldn't focus on who's fastest or who we think is best. None of them are what they claim. That's all marketing and we keep buying into the Ad's.

Charlie Hustle no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    skdck
    I hope not because from my perspective, this would hurt us loyal sprint customers. They have the best service, and plans and with their merger with TMO, im just wondering how their rate plans will integrate with them. Will TMO keep the simply everything plan or drop it and force us to use their plans when its time to renew? I like sprint just the way they are. They are making power moves, i just hope this isnt one of them.

lcgtr no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24ACB469
    I would actually like it. My brother is on sprint and the simply everything plan on his pre. And do you hear 4g blackberry? I think the price of the plans and the lineup of phones they both have, t-mo's customer service and would have a different array of networks. Think vzw and at&t would have serious competition.
    Opera/9.60 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.13337/960; U; en) Presto/2.2.0

PIN/ID
    N/A
    I was thinking about this all of last night == I wonder if Tmobile will just offload EVDO to sprint's CDMA, and then add gsm support to all of the towers. That way they won't bog down their own network and will have great coverage. This would make sense from a logical point of view.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    ^^Good Point. It's definitely going to be a interesting to see what happens (if anything). Are carriers gearing up for 2010 and 2 core cell phones using 4G and data 24/7 and Apps that deliver personal content better than any web browser ever will?

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    I don't think we'll see a true merger of the two companies if anything were to happen. Anti-trust and all that FCC/FTC jargon. We'd almost for sure see the two operating as somewhat separate entities with the same parent.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

jeffpettis no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    PM me!
    Wow, I kinda hope this is true, and kinda hope this is not true. I have been with sprint before and i cant say i had a bad experience with them, but they can use some work in the CS department. However, I really dont think its gunna be easy to try to merge both technologies but i hope some acquisitions of some more base transceiver stations from sprint will help boost tmo's signal in some weird areas in the US. So, im gunna sit back and watch this one happen..........if it do.

blackninja no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    spam=no
    at best, the result would be 1 company name, 3 (or 4) technologies (4th being the new 4G set for release). cdma, gsm and iDen are not interchangeable. wikipedia the details of spectrums and the interworkings if you want a technical answer. long story short there's a reason verizon, sprint, nextel etc do not switch over to gsm.. or why the latest round of merged companies are all on the same platform.. its too expensive to tear down infrastructures in place and put up new ones, as well as tell your customers "you must buy new phones". oil and water don't mix. if deutch tel wants to suffer the same fate as sprint did in a poor merger idea, they'll go forward with it and start an even more complex juggling act. they've already made one good play with the acquisition of SunCom. they should build off of that by improving the quality of their 2.5/3g network and gain market share the old fashion way... hard work and superior service.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast