Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Paying attention, Verizon and AT&T? You might have a new monster of a mobile company ... Smartphone News forum

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

Sprint and T-Mobile sitting in a Merger Tree

Advertisement

Paying attention, Verizon and AT&T? You might have a new monster of a mobile company (with lots of Android offerings) to deal with if Deutsche Telekom can successfully navigate a deal to purchase Sprint Nextel via its American arm, T-Mobile USA.

After rumors of the German mobile giant’s interest in swallowing up the on again, off again mobile carrier that is Sprint Nextel, shares of the Now Network Co. shot up 14 percent. The theoretical mobile entity, let’s call it T-Sprint, would move past AT&T to become the second largest mobile carrier in the States.

However, there are plenty of eyebrow raising questions to be sorted out before this rumored merger could take place. First, would this help or hurt T-Mobile (a la Sprint’s envelopment of Nextel)? More importantly, as things currently stand, Sprint and T-Mobile operate their own networks that rely, respectively, on entirely different technologies – so, how would the newly formed company integrate these independent platforms?

Finally, and it’s a BIG finally, is there even any possibility that US regulators would approve such a merger? For now, all of us who use (or have investments in) Sprint or T-Mobile will just have to sit back and wait to see if there are any merits to this rumor.

Source: MobileCrunch

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Wow. Talk about a monster collaboration. This would be huge if it came to fruition.

s2kneSs no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    Quote Originally Posted by RoGro View Post
    Wow. Talk about a monster collaboration. This would be huge if it came to fruition.
    If this becomes reality, "T-Sprint" will dominate the scene. The name even sounds cool lol. This would truly be awesome.
    BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.250 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    I just watched an interview with Sprints CEO the other day and he admitted the Nextel merger was a bad move. I will have to try and find that interview, it was pretty darn good (long but good). Maybe they are thinking it's better to dump the baggage.

Edit* Here is the interview.
    Edit 2* Still looking for the full interview.

Ok here is the full interview. It's long but can give some insight as to what they may be thinking.

Interview Link:

wma direct link:
    Last edited by srl7741; 09-14-2009 at 10:48 PM.

planneau no está en línea Stack level 5
    GOD NO!!!
    Please let this be just a rumor. I had wonderful service with nextel until sprint took over then I moved to Tmo. Now if this really happens; am going to VZ, not a big fan of att.
    ..........SHAKE N BAKE..........

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Ok, the idea of the two merging intrigues and frightens the hell out of me. It will be interesting to see how the integrate the two mobile technologies, if they even do, but I lament at the idea of having to deal with Sprint reps again. They are why I've been with T-Mo for 8 years. However, I see this, if it even gets approved as being the VZW and Altell move with the same, but different carriers.
    BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.286 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100

disturkis4u no está en línea Stack level 3
    Yes merging to become the biggest hot mess
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; T-Mobile myTouch 3G Build/COC10) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    I am coming to the end of going through the alltel/vzw merger and planned on jumping ship when my contract ends....but I really don't want to get into another merger situation...especially with companies using different technologies.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

ealvnv no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    If this become true I just hope T-Sprint keeps the Tmobile CS
    BlackBerry9000/5.0.0.190 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/1

ventz no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    This could be fantastic for both companies if things go well, or be an extreme disaster.

Tmobile has the BEST customer support in the US, but the slowest network.
    Sprint on the other hand has the FASTEST network, and they cover some very strange areas, but absolutely the WORST customer support service in the US.

If things go well, tmobile could end up with the fastest network, with a very diverse geo spread, and hopefully still good customer support.

It will be interesting to see where this goes. Especially to see how gsm + cdma will merge. I am assuming cdma will just disappear (but I guess they have too much invested in the technology to phase it out -- but eventually they will. It's dead technology that sucks compared to gsm.)

ventz no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    N/A

Jaricanese no está en línea Software Pro
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    Merging the two companies with different technologies would actually be very interesting. Having a single company with its foot in both doors gives them many advantages to companies who only rely on a single technology.

hybrid1976 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    280C1909
    as long as the plans stay the same price in the event these 2 entitities merge i'm all for it.

s2kneSs no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    That means Tours for T-Mobile fans and Curves/Onyx for Sprint fans! This would truly be great. I think CDMA should just go bye bye. I do agree on the T-Mobile CS support, I had Sprint for about 3 months in the past, I went to T-Mobile after. I would love the variety of phones to choose from.
    BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.250 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100

RemyKirin no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask me
    t-mobile has always been known for awesome CS. And as long as T-mo stays in charge of the new entity all will be well in the world of cellulars lol
    ----
    "If you aren't remembered, then you never existed." – Arisu

"I'm watching a dream I'll never wake up from.." - Spike Spiegel

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast