Just as the wireless market gets flooded with new smart phones and wireless devices, the ... Smartphone News forum

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

Sour economy may hurt wireless market

Advertisement

Just as the wireless market gets flooded with new smart phones and wireless devices, the economy has turned south.

As a result of the downturn, some forecasters predict wireless customers will spend less on new devices, including an array of sophisticated smart phones such as Apple Inc.'s iPhone 3G, the T-Mobile G1 based on Android software, and the upcoming BlackBerry Storm.

At the same time, wireless customers may start cutting back on their monthly voice and data plan spending, forecasters say, even as AT&T Wireless last week and Verizon Wireless today reported strong third-quarter results in wireless revenues.

Forecasters say wireless carriers, especially AT&T and Verizon, will still see continued revenue growth in voice and data service, albeit at a slower pace. Verizon CEO Ivan Seidenberg even told analysts Monday that the carrier may see reduced consumer and business spending due to the sluggish economy.

Even in hard times, users want their cell phones

[read more]

rjs87 no está en línea Stack level 3
    This is true RIM stock went from 150 down to the 40s along with all the other tech stocks,its gonna be a stuggle for a while there will probably be some unreal offers on phones in the near future

Compaies don't make money on the phones they make money on the services of the phones, don't be surprised if you eventually see a free bold with a new 2 year contract. Sooner or later
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

DjSmooth no está en línea Stack Professional
    You know, as long as we've waited for the Bold, I don't think the Sour Economy will bother us to much, unless of course ATT try and stick with that ridiculous price BestBuy has.

Berryadict no está en línea Stack level 7
    While it's true that I have less disposable income thanks to Big Oil stealing me blind, and my investments have tanked due to Dodd, Frank, and crew with their Home Ownership For Everyone, no one is going to deny me my Bold on Nov 4th

planneau no está en línea Stack level 5
    That's what happens when they wait so dam long to release the phones. It is true; the 8220 did not meet the sale predictions. This caused is being blame on the downward spiral of the market. Don't be surprised if some of the carriers start closing down some of their stores. To make matters worst, T-mobile is charging more for its 3G usage. so now if you want the G1 you gonna have to pay 34 to 24 bucs vice 15 to 20.
    ..........SHAKE N BAKE..........

Erievon no está en línea Awaiting email verification
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by rjs87 View Post
    don't be surprised if you eventually see a free bold with a new 2 year contract. Sooner or later
    Ahh, sounds good, they got until my next upgrade, March 28th to get that done!

peguero no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    I actually think more people will flock to wireless and cut/cancel their landlines. Which makes more sense in the long run. Also consider many people who are working from home to cut down on fuel costs. Granted there will be a slow down of growth overall, I think, as history tells us, people will adapt.
    5RAWMINUTES!

"Things that you want to change in the world have to start inside yourself. You have to be thinking. You have to be resisting. You have to be talking."
    – George Carlin

hardxx no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    319de751
    I see this as a benefit to us if we want to move to the storm.
    Of course "verizon" stores will keep the price as high as possible but the "retail" outlets will get very aggressive with the pricing early on. When the pearl and treo came out the verizon stores were offering those smart phones for double the price best buy and other resellers were offering the phones for.

So dont be surprised if you see best buy offering the storm for something like $149 while the verizon stores will be well over $249 for the same phone around the holidays.

Remember the voyager last xmas? Verizon was selling the voyager for 249 and best buy had em for $129
    Last edited by hardxx; 10-28-2008 at 02:38 PM. Reason: added info

moses2628 no está en línea Stack level 6
    So true hardxx!!!! Look at the G1, selling for 179.99 on a two year contact, and now rumor has it that Wal-mart will carry it for 148.88 beginning tommorow!!!!
    http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/1...rt-for-148-88/

jaesternbach no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24b04967
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ is there anyone else out there that doesn't find this down fall not surprising? I mean, look at our economy in general! Were totally in a recession (no matter what W says), and it's gearing towards another dangerously scary depression.

The fact that Best Buy, Comp, ATT, etc...would offer the bold and the like at such an un-reasonable price is rediculous! I mean, if I was to switch to ATT I would be paying 300 for a bold, but in todays world, that's 300 for rent, food, etc...

Let me just get to my point here. I think it's funny that cell providers are worried about the cell market when this has been coming for a long time now. And, if we are in the middle of a recession, why continue to charge your customers sky rocket prices for phones? It'll end with lower sales overall and companies freaking out about low movement of units.

...Sorry for the rant, but I had to get that off my chest

HeavyComponent no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    TP2 :D
    I am not surprised!

---
    T-Mobile Curve 8320 - 4.5.0.81 OS
    T-Mobile Pearl 8220 Flip - 4.6.0.155 OS
    NEW* [heavyc@tmo.blackberry.net]

--HeavyC.

rjs87 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by moses2628 View Post
    So true hardxx!!!! Look at the G1, selling for 179.99 on a two year contact, and now rumor has it that Wal-mart will carry it for 148.88 beginning tommorow!!!!
    http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/1...rt-for-148-88/

you gonna see alot of retail store offer unique products this winter at lower prices, reason being is there drawing customers in for that item and theyll continue you do their xmas shopping there etc, they could sell unique products such as BB or iphones at a loss and still come out ahead
    **There are 2 types of people in this world: those who use the search bar and those who do not**

greatgoogly no está en línea Stack level 1
    I guess this is why T-Mobile is picking now to raise their rates.

Dang. I was going to pick up my Bold Nov 4th, but forget about that. Wife just had an eye exam and ordered $400 Versace's

Statisics may be indicating that smartphones are regarded by many as a necessity, and in fact recession proof. Sales remain strong into the downturn. Check it out at this link:
    http://mobile.informationweek.com/de...ion%3DHardware