Informationweek.com : According to In-Stat, smartphones are going to double their share of the mobile ... Smartphone News forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Smartphones Set To Double Market Share & Replace Laptops

Advertisement

Informationweek.com: According to In-Stat, smartphones are going to double their share of the mobile handset market in the next four years. Considering the success of devices such as the iPhone, the G1, and others, this isn't so hard to believe. But which platform will dominate?

Right now, smartphones still only account for about 10% of all mobile handsets sold. They're popular with business users, but their cost -- and the cost of the data plans attached to them -- continue to keep a large percentage of the market away. That is changing, says research firm In-Stat.

[Read More]

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Interesting article. Looks like OS is going to play a big part in the development of this. It's logical to think that smartphones will take a big piece of the laptop market in the future - size and portability have already become very important to a lot of people.

It'll be fun to watch the development...in near-term declining economic times.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

goldengirl75 no está en línea Stack level 5
    Yes, with the convenience, ease and portibility of phones, this is definitely a growing market. Plus, they are making these phones look so appealing, who would pass up the opportunity to have some of the benefits of a computer in their pocket? I know I couldn't go back to a regular phone after having a smartphone...made the mistake once and I won't repeat that again.

Quote Originally Posted by goldengirl75 View Post
    ...........I know I couldn't go back to a regular phone after having a smartphone...made the mistake once and I won't repeat that again.
    It'd make me go "nutser" than I already am. I once had to send my BB in for service and did without it or a spare for about 3 days. I was
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

lsu4lif3 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    i hope blackberry dominates
    Never give up...you can always make a difference

macallik no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Smartphones are great. Once I got once I can't go back to a regular phone. I personally dont see a smartphone replacing a laptop for me. I probably could for some people.

HeywoodJ no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    pm me
    my lap top is collecting dust ... i use it once a moth if i am lucky , before i would replace my old single core 3 gig unit i would get the fujitsu u810 or some thing like that but never another lap top , a wast of money and i can do every thing i needed the lap top for from the berry ,but i cant store large files so i got a 19 g flash drive and i am set . soon i will be able to store that on a win mo or berry.

macallik no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    I could see netbooks replacing laptops. If all you do is surf the internet, instant message, text and email then the smartphone rules.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

icaro2000 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask me!
    Quote Originally Posted by jblackfish View Post
    It'd make me go "nutser" than I already am. I once had to send my BB in for service and did without it or a spare for about 3 days. I was
    I know what your talking about. I'm waiting on my 4th 8900 and it is "back ordered". When I sent the 1st back, I had to go without for about 3 days as well. I picked up a 'loaner' phone from the local (45 minutes away) t-mobile store. It was a a serious PITA! If I have to send my current 8900 back later today, I will be hurting once again. Darn Back-orders!

Someday soon, I will own a quality built 8900 or perhaps an unlocked Bold. Smart phones are definitely the way of the future in my opinion. They make the experience of 'staying connected', a cool breeze.

icaro2000 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask me!
    Quote Originally Posted by macallik View Post
    Smartphones are great. Once I got once I can't go back to a regular phone. I personally dont see a smartphone replacing a laptop for me. I probably could for some people.
    A guy who I work with bought the iphone as his sole connection to the internet and email. He doesn't own a computer so the iphone is a great solution to him and a lot less intimidating than dealing with a Desktop or a laptop PC. In fact, I am positive that this guy would never end up buying a laptop or desktop just for net-surfing and light email use. He would proabbly even be embarassed to be seen with a laptop.,lol

Any good web-browsing smart phone (Blackberry for me), is definitely not a lappy solution for myself, but for the people like my previously mentioned associate, the pocketable web browsing phones are just what they need to take their first baby steps into the big, bad, intimidating world of internet technology and super advanced email communication systems.

Most likely the iphone will atttract a whole new market of future internet users, and many of these consumers might eventually make their first computer purchase with a Mac. By this point in time Apple would probably begin to concentrate on dominating the casual net-surfer/emailer market with cheeply made, ower-quality built machines. If this occured, Apple might have difficulties maintaing the Elite attitude of individuality and superior qaulity that the company seems to posess and exploit with a sharp expertise that is nothing short of genius.

I agree with those of you who say that smart phones will never replace laptops for one simple reason: size. Although all the functions can (and are) being replaced on the smartphone, there is the matter of being able to see more data in a size that's reasonable than is possible on any miniature device.

Although I currently have 2 active smartphones and 3 p-c's and even listen to podcasts and radio via my phone(s), I still read a real newspaper with my coffee in the morning, subscribe to a couple of real magazines and read real books rather than ebooks. Sometimes nothing can take the place of enjoying something like that.