Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smart Phone Showdown Round 1 RIM 8700 vs PALM Treo 750 vs RIM 8100 Pearl ... Smartphone News forum

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

SmartPhone Showdown Round 1! BB 8700 vs Treo 750 vs 8100 Pearl

Advertisement

Smart Phone Showdown Round 1

RIM 8700 vs PALM Treo 750 vs RIM 8100 Pearl

So let the gloves come off...How about a Smart Phone Showdown? Hopefully this will be the first of many Smart Phone Showdowns to come, so that we all can get ideas of how BlackBerrys stack up to the competition, if there is such a thing.

This first round is going to pit the 8700 BlackBerry against a 750 Palm Treo and the 8100 BlackBerry Pearl.

Let's start first with a rundown of the specs of the above mentioned devices. So that all the information is in the same place and to save from links, here is a chart comparing the characteristics of the devices:

USER FRIENDLINESS

Some people prefer small devices...Some prefer larger...I prefer the latter.

To me, the Pearl is too small. It's hard to get a grip on. I feel as if I am going to rip it in half if I press too hard on the center. And to me, the keypad is too slippery...OH YEAH, and I DESPISE SureType...Glorified T9 is all it is...Not for me. Too small of a keypad and SureType means NO NO NO in my book.

The TREO has a full qwerty...But it's cramped...Very cramped...So cramped in fact, that I hate typing long messages on it. I would rather take the stylus out and use the onscreen keyboard than type on that thing. And whoever at PALM decided it was a good idea to LEAVE OUT THE COLON ( needs to SERIOUSLY have their head examined! That is one of the HEAVIEST USED symbols on a device, and PALM leaves it out. That's just plain stupid.

Now, the 8700...Oh the 8700...The best keypad in my opinion I have ever EVER EVER used...Yes, the keys start to hurt your fingers after long spurts of typing, but hey, get used to it.

Overall, 8700 comes out on top for the keypads. But the PEARL comes in 2nd here. Even though I hate SureType, it is easier to type on the Pearl than it is on the TREO. Don't believe me? Head on down to Cingular and try it.

EMAIL! LOVELY EMAIL!

Now THIS is a freaking NO BRAINER...Seriously...The TREO email sucks.

In fact, it sucks so bad, I'm not even going to spend time talking about how horrible it actually is.

If you want an idea on how bad the email is on the TREO, go find a pigeon, wrap your monthly cell phone bill around it's leg, and send it off in the direction of the payment processing center...PERFECT ANALOGY!

Bottom line: RIM and BlackBerry are known for Instant Email, and that's what it does best. Everyone else is still playing catch up.

USING PROGRAMS

Ever tried to navigate around a Windows Mobile device? Yeah, takes a little getting used to doesn't it. And yes, everyone knows of WM devices having bugs. It's just something you have to deal with.

The BlackBerry OS is much more stable. And it is way easier to quickly switch between programs.

Oh yeah, and not to mention, by default on the WM devices, if you "close" a program, you don't really CLOSE the program. So there it sits in the background, you not aware that it's running until you get 3 programs deep then wonder why you are trying to close your PROGRAMS folder, and the little X keeps disappearing when you try and click on it! (You can tell that has happened to me on numerous occasions, huh?).

Of course, that can be corrected by downloading a nice little patch for it, but I don't think it can be done OTA, and the WHOLE POINT of having a WM device is so that I never have to sit down in front of a computer again! Yeah, I'm lazy...So what...You are too.

But the TREO (and WM devices) do have the BlackBerry beat when it comes to the actual number of applications and free applications. Just scroll on over to handago and run a search!

Plus, you don't need additional plugins or programs to use Excel, Word, Power Point, ETC.

CONNECTIONS

The 8700 and the 8100 are both capable of receiving of EDGE connections...However, the TREO 750 is capable of receiving 3G connections...

This is one area where the TREO has the BlackBerrys beat (Atleast for now). If you have never played with or been on a 3G connection, compare it to your cable modem vs back when you used dialup...Get the picture?

3G is awesome for streaming not only audio, but video as well! Earlier today on the TREO just to test this, with WMP I was streaming a station out of Chicago, and at the same time using RealPlayer to stream live traffic cameras from California! Oh, and at the same time I was browsing Pinstack!

But not to worry...Word around the rumor camp is that the 9k series BlackBerry (TBA) will be 3G equipped, and I for one, can't wait!

Which brings us right into our next category...

MULTIMEDIA

The 8700 BlackBerry is very limited when it comes to media. After all, the main purpose of this device is for business. It's mobile email, plain and simple. It's not supposed to play video. It's not supposed to play MP3's. It's not supposed to Podcast...But we want it to none the less don't we?

Well, if you are one of the lucky ones to have the 4.2 Operating System for the 8700 or have a Pearl, then you know that it opens up some of the multimedia options on this device (Some podcasts, Video MMS, RadioBee, etc.), but its hit and miss as to which of these work and when.

The 8100 is really RIM's first device aimed towards the public, so a camera was a no-brainer. Although it is only a 1.3MP camera, it is one of the best, if not THE best, camera that I have ever seen on a mobile device. But it can't record video.

Enter the TREO...The TREO once again puts the smack down on the BlackBerrys when it comes to multimedia. The TREO is also equipped with a 1.3MP camera, however, it records video also. Although it's not great video, it is one of the best cell phone recording cameras that I have ever seen. And with the ability to save the video directly to your MiniSD card, you can record for more than 30 seconds at a time.

Also one of the advantages of having Windows Mobile is the Windows Media Player and RealPlayer loaded onto your device. Every video and audio file pretty much in the free world will play on either one of these devices. That means, unlike the Pearl, you don't have to spend 40 minutes converting an episode of Desperate Housewives to MPEG-4 or 3GP format before you can load it onto your memory card.

FLASH ME BABY!

Pearl and Treo have a cam...8700 doesn't...Pearl has a flash...Treo doesn't...

But seriously...Does it matter?

How many of you have actually USED the flash on the Pearl? What good is it?

It doesn't light up anything...I think it's just RIM's way of saying "HAHAHAHAHA...screw you consumers! You want a camera! FINE! But we are going to secretly suck your battery life out of your device by adding a flash to the phone...RAHAHAHAHAHAHA!".

The flash is useless...Just about as useless as those little mirror thingies they put by the lens saying it's a "Self Portrait Mirror". HAHAHA...What the? A SELF PORTRAIT MIRROR! That's great...Wonder how much extra money it cost you to press that onto the plastic, because it's not worth it, even if it was only a penny...

ROCK THE BOAT...

But don't drop the phone baby...

Okay...I would not want to drop the TREO...The main reason...The touchscreen...That baby breaks and you're screwed...I have visions of the one time I punched a SQUIRREL monitor (those touchscreens in restaurants) and the damn thing shattered like Prince Naseems ego after he was knocked out (like that one you sports fans? ).

Also, the Treo is freaking heavy. I mean HEAVY. It's not brick heavy, but pretty close. Now I didn't pay too much attention to physics in school, but common sense would tell me heavier means faster dropping which means more force at the moment of impact...I don't want to see that.

Now the Pearl...I have dropped it...Yeah...I know...A Cardinal sin...but it held up...Granted, it wasn't a drop from 4 feet, but it was a nice drop. Nothing really happened to it except a chip off of that cheap chrome piece on the top. But at the same time, I really don't want to drop it, because I have visions of the TrackBall falling out and bouncing across a parking lot like those old bouncie balls.

The 8700 on the other hand is a trooper! I have dropped this phone I don't know HOW MANY TIMES and it has yet to break on me (knock on wood). Hell, once I was even walking into a Best Buy, it slipped out of my hand, and somewhere in the moment of instant fear I decided it would be a good idea to stick my shin out and try to catch it...Not a good idea...It went airborne like an NFL punt, across the entrance, into a DVD display and crashed violently onto the floor. But she survived! (Enter Destinys Child "I'm a survivor, I ain't gonna give up)...Now someone give me an OtterBox so I can go to the 3rd floor and try and drop it! WOOT!

I FEEL PRETTY, OH SO PRETTY...

Customizing...Noone wants something that looks EXACTLY like someone else's, unless you work for the government and have come accustomed to everything being all white because of the cars you drive around in.

But when it comes to our phones, we want it to be different. Want proof? Look at the themes section...It's one of the busiest (if not THE busiest) forum on this site!

With theme creators like SRL7741, we are constantly changing the looks of our device...Moving icons around...Changing backgrounds...Etc...

But with WM, customizing is next to none...You can change skins, but hah, take a look at them...They all look the same except for different wallpapers...WEAK...And I haven't yet found how to move icons and programs around the screen, and it's really irking me. I suppose you could go in and play with the OS, but...

THE SOUL...

Like mentioned before, WM are buggy...And RIM has their OS locked down tighter than Fort Knox back in the day when they used to actually keep gold there.

Now, on the flip side, you can go into the registry and hack the hell out of the WM Operating System...BUT...Be careful...One wrong move and you have a nice new paperweight...

Everyone knows I have been the freaking KING when it comes to reloading operating systems and pretty much near-fubaring my BlackBerrys, but to be honest with you, I don't want to do this on a Windows Device...Seriously...I don't...The moment that I do, I am going to call, get insurance on it, then go throw it into the lake and call back and make a claim...Unless someone can come up with a LINUX version of a mobile OS.

CLOSET SPACE

Better known as storage...You're stuck with what you have on the 8700. Sorry, better delete some of those pictures of your boyfriend or girlfriend off of there if you need additional space!

The Pearl...Meh...Okay...1GB, nice....2GB, nicer (if you want to upgrade operating systems). Now you can save a couple hundred pictures of your significant other, your dog, or your 8 cats!

But 4GB...Now that's awesome...And that's what the TREO can do. But, you can only use certain manufacturer MiniSD cards...But on the plus side, I can download an entire season of The Surreal Life onto my phone! WOO HOO! GO BOBBY BRADY!

Another good thing, is you can store actual programs on the TREO MiniSD rather than just being limited to pictures, ringtones, videos and whatever the 4th thing is on Pearl...

COOLNESS FACTOR

Any of them...Doesn't matter...Seriously...Although the 750 and 8700 may have the Pearl beat here if you are wanting people to think you are important. I mean, ALL important people have a full QWERTY right??? You just LOOK important with a full QWERTY device!

The Pearl...Uh...Yeah...Okay...Maybe...

People say the Pearl is sexy...SEXY?! I don't want a sexy phone. I want a phone that looks tough. A phone that looks like it will sprout two legs and arms, pull out a Mini-9mm handgun and shoot you in the fact if you try and touch it! In fact, give me an OtterBox! And at the same time, give me a case that is all scratched up on the outside. I want my phone to look like it was dropped off in the middle of Bosnia and found it's way back to me and still works like a champ!

So you know what, the 8700 is the only one that could accomplish that. The TREO would have a busted screen, which would suck because of the whole "touch factor" and the Pearl would just look plain stupid if it was all scratched up.

So the 8700 wins in the coolness round...

WHERE'S WALDO?

So this brings up the question of where are you most likely to see these devices?

8100 Pearl: Highschool hallways and sporting events, Soccer Moms at the mall during lunch

Treo 750: Starbucks. Any Internet Technology company. Colleges

8700: Boardrooms. State of the Union addresses.

GPS YOUR PHONE!!!

So TMOBILE has the Pearl and the 8700...Cingular has the Pearl and 8700...Verizon has the 8703 as well as Sprint...Sprint and Verizon have the Treo...TMOBILE doesn't have the TREO...Cingular does have the TREO...Confused yet? Yeah, so am I.

Now everyone knows that I hate Cingular...But now I am stuck with them...Well, atleast until TMOBILE get's off their rear and gets 3G up, which I am guessing will be, oh, let's say, NEVER...No...Just kidding...It's coming on TMOBILE, but it's going to be a while...

Pretty much, there is a 90% chance you are going to get screwed by the wireless industry because the law of averages states that the device you want is going to be carried by the carrier you hate the most...Hey, you only live once...Who cares if Cingular wants your first born child and $666 a month for 3G access and 100 anytime minutes! GO FOR IT! That's why credit cards are UNSECURED debt...

SOOOOOOO.....

So what? Each of these have their own good things and bad things, and I know that everyone has their own personal opinions, so let's hear them!

Okay, I have to go...My TREO just crashed, the Pearl broke in half and the 8700 has emails coming out of the rear...

Last edited by N8DBB; 07-11-2007 at 10:47 AM.

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Re: SmartPhone Showdown Round 1! BB 8700 vs Treo 750 vs 8100 Pearl

Yeah...The phones are dirty...I don't care...Like you should have seen above in the coolness factor, I don't care about fingerprints, in fact, hell, I encourage them! Gives your phone charachter!

Also, I don't know why that chart is so small...I will try and resize it.

And yes, like I said, this isn't complete, but I wanted to get it up there and I have been drinking too much coffee so mother nature is calling....

kayos72 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    ask me

Well said N8!!!!!!!!!!
    I agree fully
    Been a long while since last login. Sorry all, adjusting to a new life is great and hell at the same time!!

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Oh. And by the way. If you want future smartphone showdowns, let me know what models and I will see if I can't get ahold of them.

But not the 8800. If you want a showdown with that, just take what I said about the 8700 and the Pearl and merge it into one and that's the showdown.

I was trying to get ahold of a Q, but something about my verizon hookup doesn't trust me ever since I went in there and threw the demo unit on the floor to see how well it would take a drop shock.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

kayos72 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    ask me

Quote Originally Posted by N8DBB
    I was trying to get ahold of a Q, but something about my verizon hookup doesn't trust me ever since I went in there and threw the demo unit on the floor to see how well it would take a drop shock.
    That's funny
    my bosses Q didn't fare too well on a gravity check either
    Been a long while since last login. Sorry all, adjusting to a new life is great and hell at the same time!!

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

wow this is great stuff! Steping out can't wait to get back to read this. Told ya

crystalized no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ASK ME

Nice... now do one on the 8700 vs the 8800...
    I wanna find out if it's worth selling my 8700g for the new 8800
    haha!

I7oobie no está en línea Device Pro

Just reading this from the homepage, I knew this would be Nate

I'll get off my lazy rump, and write a quick comparison between my Pearl and my MDA. One advantage I can think of, that a Windows OS has over a BB OS, is that amazing fact that you can actually make(cook) your own OS. Which means you can put all your cool stuff in there, like Windows Live Messenger, and overclock your processor!
    Last edited by I7oobie; 02-26-2007 at 11:10 PM.
    Black G1 w/Root
    JesusFreke's Moddified RC30 v1.3
    Auto-rotate Enabled
    Auto-rotate Browser Enabled
    Manup's Blue Star 5 Theme

moses2628 no está en línea Stack level 6

Great comparison!

COJO 24 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23E89BE8

Wow!! You really took a lot of time to type all that out. Took me a while to read the whole thing. Also that would be nice if you try to resize the chart and then maybe we can actually compare the three devices from the specs. Thanks for the info and I'm still going to stick with the pearl because I'm in high school and that's where you said that you would most likely find a pearl, LOL!!!

Thanks again and anymore info you have just post it for us to read and then we can agree or not agree.

COJO 24

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Another good thing, is you can store actual programs on the TREO MiniSD rather than just being limited to pictures, ringtones, videos and whatever the 4th thing is on Pearl...
    Music, Videos, Ringtones and Pictures can be stored.

Also, I don't know why that chart is so small...I will try and resize it.
    The link to the chart no longer works.

Quote Originally Posted by I7oobie
    Just reading this from the homepage, I knew this would be Nate

I'll get off my lazy rump, and write a quick comparison between my Pearl and my MDA. One advantage I can think of, that a Windows OS has over a BB OS, is that amazing fact that you can actually make(cook) your own OS. Which means you can put all your cool stuff in there, like Windows Live Messenger, and overclock your processor!
    I'll do the same with my Pearl and my SK2.

jaysun930 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2431c3f2

a good one would be a mda,nokia e61/e62 and a pearl

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f

Great Job N8... awesome review!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast