(CNN) -- Worms, spam, viruses and hackers -- they're not just for your desktop or ... Smartphone News forum

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe

Smartphone security threats likely to rise.

Advertisement

(CNN) -- Worms, spam, viruses and hackers -- they're not just for your desktop or laptop anymore. According to internet security experts they could be well on their way into your pocket or purse.
    The popularity of smartphones -- like the Blackberry, iPhone, Palm and the emerging Droid -- is on the rise and shows no signs of letting up.

read more...

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    I have been comfortable with the security of my BlackBerry, but am tempted by the Android devices. I wonder if Android's open source nature makes it more vulnerable or if there have been any discovered viruses for Android. They day will come soon when we will start seeing carriers selling or promoting brands of antivirus software or even seeing mobile phones preinstalled with them like computers are.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

KalebsDad78 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask
    Yup, I was just thinking, How many mobile virus software companies are we going to see come out of the wood works now? This article probably puts dollar signs in the eyeballs of Symantec & McAfee execs. :-)
    New User? - Read the NEW USERS GUIDE

planneau no está en línea Stack level 5
    Well this shouldn't be a surprise. We know they would be sending viruses and trying to hack into smart phones sooner or later. They just haven't developed the tools to do it yet. Some folks send more time on there smartphones than there PCs. And with smartphones becoming more and more like PCs, I don't think the hackers won't resist from trying to hack into smartphones. But they can only do it when your connected through Wifi.
    ..........SHAKE N BAKE..........

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Kaspersky has had an antivirus/spam product for WM and Symbian devices for a couple years...I just don't know if they are used much or if they are effective...but they're out there already.

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    Quote Originally Posted by azstar View Post
    Kaspersky has had an antivirus/spam product for WM and Symbian devices for a couple years...I just don't know if they are used much or if they are effective...but they're out there already.
    Interesting, I hope BB will never need one!
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask
    There was a big debate about this on PinStack a while back. Many doubting this day would come. Lets check back this thread again in another year or so, it will be more than warning.

No, I don't like it but its only inevitable that we are going to have to run security, virus and anti-spam apps eventually. Smartphone technology is quickly migrating "everything" from our computers to the palm of our hands... if you know what I mean

goldengirl75 no está en línea Stack level 5
    Well, just to be on the safe side, I downloaded a free antivirus app for my phone.

Thanks for the info!

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Good article, it's nice to see these once a month as reminders. I didn't see anything alarming and was pleased to read a few things that are important to remember. Phones can be easily lost or stolen so password protect them.

wheelz no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ask4pin
    The nice thing about a bb (since my experience is only with bb's I could be wrong) you can always wipe the device using jlcomander and then reload everything from a secure backup.

Jaricanese no está en línea Software Pro
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    Quote Originally Posted by azstar View Post
    I have been comfortable with the security of my BlackBerry, but am tempted by the Android devices. I wonder if Android's open source nature makes it more vulnerable or if there have been any discovered viruses for Android. They day will come soon when we will start seeing carriers selling or promoting brands of antivirus software or even seeing mobile phones preinstalled with them like computers are.
    Many people say open source is actually more secure than less. Look at Linux for example.

This of course is just based off of opinion, but I still feel BlackBerry is the most secure smartphone and will be for quite awhile.

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    I guess security of smart phones is the next frontier for all the jerks who don't have anything else to do with their lives. With the growth in smart phones as Hayden said, everything's moving from the desktop/laptop/notebook to the device that does nearly everything that you hold in your hand.

We Blackberry users are spoiled to NOT having had to worry about it as much as Windows based systems, etc. but I guess it'll come to BB eventually too. I still don't do any financial work or keep password info on my BB but I have a lot of stuff I don't want hacked. Stuff like very contact phone number, many addresses and email addresses, etc. that I have ever had are on there and other stuff too. It can make you think.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Great article. I believe the author is correct that you are exponentially more likely to lose your phone then be hacked. Anyone given any thought to how vunerable you could become if someone you know is hacked? I have probably close to 100 email addresses stored in my device and all 100 would become targets potentially.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS