I have decided to try again since my first post didn't make it on the ... Smartphone News forum

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Smartphone Battle

Advertisement

I have decided to try again since my first post didn't make it on the boards. I will be comparing 3 devices currently in use by me (sim swapping until I get the Pearl moved to Cingular). Sorry but I could not get all 3 pics to upload so no pics.

Device: Black BlackBerrry Pearl 8100
    Verdict: User Friendly
    Pros: Smallest BB on the planet
    Cons: Cramped Keypad
    Overall Rating: 9/10

I recently posted an extensive review of this phone in another post http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...100_pearl.html

However, I must say that since I got the Pearl, I have had to get used to the tiny, cramped keypad. This can hurt if you are a first time user, or even switching from a previous SureType or full keyboard BB (I used the T-Mo 7730, 7100t and 7105t prior to the Pearl). I was surprised how much it hurt for the first week. But it does get better after lots of breaks and hand/finger exercises.

Device: SideKick 2
    Verdict: Good phone but lacks some features
    Pros: Full QWERTY keypad
    Cons: Slow and limited internet use, screen could be brighter
    Overall Rating: 5/10

This is my favorite full keyboard device. I have unfortunately had 2 of these and one is now broken (the first one I sent back but the second one can't be repaired or replaced thru T-Mo because it is out of warranty and out dated) but they were good while they lasted. This is why I gave them 5 out of 10 stars.

The good thing about this device (although very few are available unless you are a lucky ebay or amazon shopper) is that they have standalone AIM (built in) and Yahoo
    (available as a download from the catalog) clients. Also the full keyboard is a plus if you're typing long emails or a lot of texts.

The only bad things about this device are 1) slow/limited internet browsing. The browser on this device is slow and very limited. It doesn't support all browsers such as those that use flash or java. When it does find a site it supports, however, it can take forever to load. Also, 2) the screen is not bright. The screen is difficult to see unless you have it at full brightness.

The only other major drawback and this was my fault, is that I didn't wait to get a Limited Edition Mr Cartoon SK2.

Device: SideKick 3
    Verdict: Better SideKick than the 2
    Pros: Better Screen, Keys are not as slippery, Customizable screen background
    Cons: No MultiMedia Messaging
    Overall Rating: 10/10

I just got this phone yesterday. My favorite full keyboard device has been majorly updated. It's about time since it took 23 months to do so LOL (the 2 came out in 8/04 and the 3 in 7/06)

This thing is FAST LOL It does not slow down or stop when navigating the web and supports all types of web pages, not just WAP. Also it does not freeze when deleting texts using the Delete key on the keypad. I have not tested the camera (1.3 megapixel) or MP3 player yet but I will soon.

The 2 IM clients I mentioned in the SK2 review have been updated on the SK3 and now MSN Messenger has been preloaded onto the device.

The other thing I love about this phone is that it's half the width and size of my SK2.

However, it still lacks MultiMedia Messaging.

The user interface has also been updated a little bit. To get to the IM clients loaded onto the device, you have to scroll down to Instant Messaging and then choose AIM, MSN or Yahoo (or all 3 if you're like me LOL). I wonder when they will wake up and preload Google Talk on here LOL

The other new features on the SK3 are:
    1) The trackball (the same one on the Pearl and 8800) on the right (the trackwheel is gone) that lights up when you receive a text, IM, email, or voice mail;
    2) The directional pad that is still on the device, on the left side but it doesn't light up when you get a message
    3) Background screens (themes) have been preloaded onto the device. I have already picked my favorite.
    4) Memory card. I had the T-Mo rep install this for me and put the included wrist strap on the phone. The carrying case is still lacking but I'm getting a personalized case soon.

I was going to get the Limited Edition Diane Von Forstenberg SK3 but after haggling at 2 stores for the price I got and not seeing any (the first store was a NIGHTMARE LOL), I paid that (and got an extension on my contract) and came home LOL Hope this comparison helps anyone who is making a decision between the Pearl and the SK3.

ziminvades no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Re: Smartphone Battle

I don't mean to be a negative person here but you only listed one smart phone. Lol blackberry rules =)
    Hehehe
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

The SideKick is also considered one because it has PDA functions. Or is that what you meant?

cornelius no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2035BC65

hows the email compared to the 8100.since there's no mms can you send pic, vids ,music and ect. tru bluetooth.is it edge or G3.hows the camera quality.can you customize ringtones.how long have you had the phone.just needed a lil bit more info abuot the sk3

lux
    lux no está en línea Stack level 2

I started reading this thinking it would be a decent breakdown of comparable smartphones.... Though it only took a couple of LOLs for me to realize that it is just an attempt to structure personal preference

absolved no está en línea Stack level 3

I agree with lux. The "review" is ridiculous and don't know how SK3 scored higher than a Pearl. It's all sorts of wrong, you didn't even mention the ability to install 3rd party applications, customize ringtones *without* paying, and battery life just to name a few! The SK3 is also not "half the width and size of an SK2", nice biased exaggeration. I'm going to stop right there. You really can't base all phones on the same scale especially when people use it for different reasons.

cv
    cv no está en línea Stack level 2

Ok, not to pile on but the BB is a work enabling device used by professionals. The sk is a texting cell phone used by teenagers. Each has its own place. (That's not a bad thing) You just can't compare the two.

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i don't really consider Sidekick as a smart phone. But nice review

galvatron no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    240582a8

Meh I was hoping for comaprisons like palmone treos mda or sda. I took an 8700/ over a perl perls to small for me an I have bi hands

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Quote Originally Posted by galvatron
    Meh I was hoping for comaprisons like palmone treos mda or sda. I took an 8700/ over a perl perls to small for me an I have bi hands
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ry_8700_a.html

moses2628 no está en línea Stack level 6

Pearl rocks it!!!!

Ok for all those who thought I shouldn't have compared the two, I would like to keep this thread positive as some people actually do use both devices (such as me). No more negative replies please.