...for Android, BlackBerry, iPhone, Palm, Symbian & WM. I'm a bit late getting this posted ... Smartphone News forum

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!

Smartphone Add-Ons of the Week 08-20-09

Advertisement

...for Android, BlackBerry, iPhone, Palm, Symbian & WM.

I'm a bit late getting this posted this week, it's been one of those weeks where I wonder how I ever functioned without a smartphone. It seems like back to school, Dr.s visits, lab work, eye exams, and dental cleanings all happened at once. I don't know how I would have juggled it all without my BlackBerry; calendar to track appts and schedule follow-ups, maps to confirm where the lab was located, memo's to jot down questions for the Dr., and all the other fun stuff my BB could do while we sat in waiting and exam rooms...games, videos, music, web browsing, and news feeds all to keep us entertained while we waited. I love the technology we now hold in our hands! Last week's smartphone add-ons was theme based, all focused on keeping our smartphone's powered up when we need them, but no theme this week, just a collection of useful applications.

Android Smartphones
    For Android users, DataViz has released a major update to their popular DocsToGo application to version 2.0. The premium version is $29.00, much more reasonable than the $69 that BlackBerry users must pay! Here are a few of the new features:
    Microsoft PowerPoint® File Support: The new Slideshow To Go® component allows viewing, editing and creating of PowerPoint presentations. With support for the latest file formats, including Microsoft Office 2007, business travelers can effortlessly “flick” through slides, review notes, rehearse timing and make any last minute modifications when on the go. Adobe® PDF File Support: The PDF To Go® component provides high-fidelity viewing of Adobe PDF files with options for page view, word wrap, multiple zoom levels, auto-rotate, bookmarks, search, select and copy text, and support for password-protected files. With PDF To Go, knowledge workers can keep all important reference materials at their fingertips. Enhancements for Microsoft Word & Excel® File Support: Documents To Go 1.0 offered robust viewing and editing of Microsoft Word (.doc, .docx) and Microsoft Excel (.xls, xlsx) files. Version 2.0 extends the feature set by adding find and replace, word count, number formatting, sheet formatting, contextual menus, improved selection modes and scrolling, optimizations for touch, and a ‘Live Folder’ for instant access to recently used documents. They also have a free version but it is for viewing only Word and Excel documents. DocsToGo is one of those must have apps for business users and students. image via android central

BlackBerry Smartphones

The featured app for BlackBerry this week is one that should be a native function but thankfully some developers have created apps that perform this function and this app happens to be free! The only thing it costs you is passing on the link to someone else in order to activate the application. That's a great way for a new developer to get their app out there and keep spreading the word. The app is called Forward, Reply, & Edit and it does exactly that, allows you to edit original messages when replying or forwarding. I never understood why that ability was restricted by the BB OS. It works simply, just highlight the message in your message list, hit the BB menu key and select either Forward & Edit or Reply & Edit and then edit to your heart's content. One downside is there is no ability to edit attachments to emails using this and it is a limitation by RIM according to the app developers. To download it go to http://bberryapp.com/blackberryappli.../forwardreply/

Apple iPhone

AAA has just released an awesome new app for iPhone users, AAA Roadside. This is a great tool to have especially if you break down in an unfamiliar area. The app is free but of course the services require a AAA membership, not a member, no problem, you can even join right from the app. This app has several cool features including using your built in GPS to pinpoint your location so even if you don't know where you are, they will. It also has a while you're waiting section that will help you locate repair shops, parts supplers, and even accommodations nearest to where you are that offer discounts for AAA members. Here's an excerpt from their press release: "AAA announced its AAA Roadside app for iPhone users is now available on the iTunes App Store. The free app provides AAA members with a way to use their iPhone, and its innovative location based services, to quickly send their vehicle location, description, specific vehicle problem and other detailed information directly to AAA for roadside assistance. The user always has the option to place a voice call, and once the request is submitted, the AAA member receives a confirmation that his/her information was received by AAA Roadside Assistance. “Dealing with a breakdown can be a stressful situation for anyone, even more so when you’re not familiar with your surroundings,” said Marshall L. Doney, AAA Automotive vice president. “The AAA Roadside app for iPhone is another way AAA helps members get back on the road and onto their destinations. We think the AAA Roadside app is an invaluable tool for motorists, especially for those hitting the road this summer.”

Palm Pre Smartphone

The flow of apps for the Palm Pre continues to be a slow trickle. Last week 3 new apps made their way into the App Catalog according to an article on PreThinking. Two of them are games, Blackout and Spades, and the 3rd is a syncing solution for Palm Desktop called Echo. Not being a Pre user, I don't know what this does differently from the native syncing on the device, but with a $29 price tag it hopefully is amazingly better. Here's a bit from the Echo web page:Simple, Convenient, and Reliable Synchronization - Designed exclusively to synchronize Palm Desktop Date Book and Address Book with the Pre Calendar and Contacts applications. Tasks and Notes sync will be a FREE upgrade when available. Local Wi-Fi Synchronization. - Just like Pre, no cables are needed. Echo synchronizes over your local Wi-Fi network. Your personal data is never stored or passed through our servers; it is a direct synchronization between your PC and Pre over your local Wi-Fi network. Because the synchronization is performed over the local network, your PC and Palm® webOS™ device must be connected to the same local network during synchronization. Complete, Two-Way Synchronization - Echo performs a two way synchronization to ensure the information you enter in Palm Desktop is transferred to your device and information you enter on the device is transferred to Palm Desktop.Check out their site for full details.

Symbian Smartphones
    Shaun over on PDA-247 posted about a new little tool for S60 3rd users called iON Battery Timer. The purpose of the app is to let you know just how long you can go before you run out of power. It has a price of around $10 but if you don't always have easy access to a charger then this can be an invaluable tool for you. From their description: "Did you ever wonder if your battery survive the whole day while far from the battery charger or did you experience battery drain down over a day? If so, using iON BatteryTimer for S60 3rd would appreciable improve your day-to-day smartphone experience. It can be installed on any S60 3rd edition smartphone with 320x240 and 240x320 pixels screen resolutions while offering the control of operating time remaining to complete discharge, providing the estimated future date&time of the battery being completely discharged and presenting how long the battery holds its charge on average. The iON provides data in three ways - the application, standby/home screen plug-in, dedicated power saver."

Follow-up on a previously highlighted app
    Back in June I posted about an up and coming new application for Android called Layar an augmented reality browser application with fantastic potential. Well it has now arrived here in the US and is available for download in the Android Market. via Engadget: "Following a Netherlands-exclusive release back in June, SPRXmobile has now taken its so-called Layar "Reality Browser" for Android to the global stage and advanced it to version 2.0 in the process. Perhaps the first commercial augmented reality app to launch on a large scale, Layar's got a good amount of momentum behind it -- the company claims that 100 developers are already hard at work developing reality layers that users can toggle, and an additional 500 developers are being added into the mix with the latest release. Version 2.0 adds favorite layers (because we're sure you'll be stalking friends and foes all too often using the Tweetmondo layer), map and list views, and enhanced search capabilities, but the real secret to Layar's power might ultimately lie in the third-party ecosystem if they can get enough content providers on board." Be sure to check out the full article for a review on performance, needs work but apps like this are really exciting to me and I hope they realize their full potential.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Thanks Azstar for all the hard work. Didn't know about bberryapp. Tried it and works well - quite handy.
    Like to recommend, also, if I may, the application available for free on Blackberry App World which enables you to copy your e-mails to Notes, and this (at least for me) is a great time saver and a great way to make sure the document isn't lost. It obviously syncs with Outlook.
    Thanks once again.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Nice work as usual, az!

Thanks guys....@delfim what's the name of that app you mentioned?
    Twitter? My Apps List

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Hi Azstar
    The little and useful add on is called: "Atomichelix Notify".
    Give it a wirl... at
    http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/1202
    Cheers !

VIOLATOR no está en línea Stack level 3
    Very nice work! That is a lot of detailed information this week. I have been burning up that new BB app AND I already had ForwardWithEdit !

David
    F'em and Feed'em Fisheads!

Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by delfim View Post
    Hi Azstar
    The little and useful add on is called: "Atomichelix Notify".
    Give it a wirl... at
    http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/1202
    Cheers !
    OK, just got a chance to try it...works well, small and simple app. I never would have guessed what it does by the name though, and I don't always look close at every app unless something grabs my attention. Thanks for pointing it out
    Twitter? My Apps List

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Yes, the name doesn't say or describe anything...pity !

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    You were "a bit late" in posting and I'm a bit late in commenting! Once again, great work. Your post is so professional it's almost intimidating - that's a compliment. I again concentrated on the BB post although they all look good. The iPhone must be the most difficult one to pick there are so many. Oddly, I had seen this one for the travelers - I think it's a useful app for people on the road a lot. The Palm Pre apps may be slow in coming and that may be a big disadvantage for them but their TV ads sure are tempting - I like the looks of that unit...and that strange little lady too.

As soon as I finish this post I'm off to try the Forward, Reply, & Edit and the "little" add-on that delfim recommended. Thanks again for a great post, Az!
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com