...for Android, BlackBerry, iPhone, Palm, Symbian & WM. As always the search for great things ... Smartphone News forum

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!

Smartphone Add-ons Of The Week 07-20-09

Advertisement

...for Android, BlackBerry, iPhone, Palm, Symbian & WM.

As always the search for great things in the smartphone world has turned up some nice finds. We've gotten some great apps, accessories I didn't think I would ever see, and an app that seemed so awesome in theory....but is not really working too well in the real world. I'll leave that one for last!

Android smartphones

Voolkan ,a job search website, has recently released an application for the Android platform that is unfortunately highly needed by many right now.
    In a time when almost every field of work seems to be hit hard by the economy, this seems like a very useful and timely application. Whether you are just looking for something new, or been recently let go, this application may be perfect for you.

Voolkan Job Search allows you to search for jobs both on Craigslist and the Voolkan job databases. But is goes beyond a simple job search, you can also apply for the job, insert a cover letter, send a message, and even attach and send a resume right from your G1 or other Android powered smartphone. Just open the app, fill in the search fields with your state, region, field, and desired keywords and then the app will bring up a list of available jobs. You can download Job Search by Voolkan from the Android Marketplace in the Tools category.

BlackBerry Smartphones

While I firmly believe that the biggest news lately and probably the most popular topic for BlackBerry users has been the leaked 5.0 BlackBerry Messenger, it is just a leaked version that has proven to be very buggy for many users so I did not choose that as the BB app of the week. Instead I chose the Google Voice mobile application. It was just released for both the BlackBerry and Android platforms with iPhone on the way. For those unfamiliar with Google Voice(formerly GrandCentral) it is a multifaceted service for managing all your phone lines with one number and so much more. The Google Voice service is still by invite only, go here to request an invite and get more information. Here are just a few things Google Voice can do for you: one number for all your calls and sms, block calls, phone routing, call forwarding, voicemail transcripts, personalized greetings by caller, conference calling, switch phones during a call and much much more. If you already got your invite go to m.google.com/voice from your mobile to download the app.

Apple iPhone3GS
    Last month I was intrigued by the announcement of the coming Layar augmented reality browser for the Android platform. Now with the compass in the new iPhone 3GS developers are creating similar type apps to make use of the feature. The first such apps which have been submitted and are waiting approval for the App Store are from acrossair. They are Nearest Tube and New York Nearest Subway. The apps use GPS, compass, and video camera to help you navigate the transit systems. Really cool stuff, check out their web page for more info and watch the video below.

Palm Smartphones

I have always been a fan of Seidio products and now they have done something that I didn't think would happen. They came up with a case for the Palm Pre that not only protects it, but also allows the sliding function to operate. Every case I have seen so far has been something the Pre simply slips into either vertically or horizontally. As seen in the description in Hayden's post here, not only does it protect, give full access to all ports, keyboard, and controls, but it also works well with the Touchstone charging dock. The Innocase Surface for the Pre comes in four colors, black, sapphire blue, burgundy, and rose pink. Check it out here for full details, pricing, and ordering information.

Windows Mobile Smartphones

Searchme is a application that has already been available on Symbian S60, iPhone, and Android phones and is now available for Windows Mobile. It's been out for a few weeks now, and seems like a really cool and different way to search. No list of links to click on as search results, you'll get a variety of images, videos, music etc as results for your search. From the press release "
    Instead of a list of blue links, Searchme delivers images of web pages, videos, music and products that play right on the search result page making it easy to find and consume information on a cell phone. Searchme offers significantly improved performance for searching on a phone because it runs as a native Windows Mobile application, rather than in a slow-rendering web browser. Unlike other search applications, Searchme supports a full touch screen interface.
    "Since launching our mobile app a few months ago, we had an overwhelming response from people who love the idea of a richer, more visual search experience on their phones. We're very excited that we're now able to introduce millions of Windows Mobile users to this superior mobile search experience that delivers quick page loads and immediate access to relevant information," said Randy Adams, Searchme Founder and CEO." You can pick up Searchme in the tools section at www.searchme.com

The almost coolest app of the week!
    Usually I throw in one particularly cool or different bonus item on any random platform. This week's item is kind of a disappointment. But when I first found it I was very optimistic even though the reviews were very mixed. There was an article recently by the New York Times iPhone Apps To Organize Your Life. One of the apps mentioned is called CardStar. It claims to eliminate the need to carry a keychain or wallet full of discount and club cards that so many retailers and businesses use. I thought this would be perfect, how many times have I left my teenage son in the car and run into the store just to realize at checkout that my discount card is danging from my keys...in the ignition...halfway across the parking lot. To avoid the embarrassing need to ask a clerk or another customer if they have a cards you can borrow, just pull out your iPhone or iPod Touch and fire up the CardStar app. The app allows you to program in either your bar code number or ID number and it generates an image of the same bar code that's on your keytag. I was able to program in everything from my local grocery stores, to Petsmart, to Borders Books, to LA Fitness. Cool huh?? Only problem is that I have not been able to get a single one to scan yet. I tried following the suggestions, no smudges, 5-7 inches from the scanner, hold it still...everything except removing the screen protector...not willing to do this for an app. So it is great in theory, just not in practice. But the upside is that at least the employee can enter your ID number from the saved info in the app. just really wanted it to scan like it claimed! If you want to at least have all your cards stored if needed, or see if you can get it to work for you better than it has for me you can check it out in the app store.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Nice Ad-on review, Az. The winner for me is one I'll probably never have because it's the iPhone: The Apple Nearest Tube/Subway application (using its compass) is a cool one! It's kind of limited in scope - you have to live in the right place(s) but how cool is that!

2nd to that, who doesn't use coupons!...especially in economic times like now? Maybe Cardstar can be refined to the point that the scan success will be improved. Alas, another iPhone ap.

Lastly, hopefully the BBM 5.0 will make it to this thread in the near future. Right now (as you implied) SOMEONE's got some work to do on it!

Thanks for taking the time to put this together - it's very nicely presented.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

I'm sure that is just the beginning for the augmented reality apps for the iPhone. I'm sure there will be many more popping up tailored to different locations and searches for various things way beyond transit directions. Hopefully BlackBerry will get a compass in an upcoming model.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Quote Originally Posted by azstar View Post
    I'm sure that is just the beginning for the augmented reality apps for the iPhone. I'm sure there will be many more popping up tailored to different locations and searches for various things way beyond transit directions. Hopefully BlackBerry will get a compass in an upcoming model.
    Right! In a month there'll probably be 5,000 of these type apps alone for the iPhone :d . I would like to see BB get this too - no reason it can't.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Excellent review, I always enjoy reading it, and appreciate the time it takes for you to put it together.

It's a great idea being able to search for jobs on your phone, I would be worried though about the quality of the formatting for the cover letter sent from a small device. In this competitive world it is important that your resume and cover letter is as perfect as possible. I have seen perfectly good people not considered because of poor cover letters
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

I agree it all must be professional in appearance, I would definitely send test samples to myself first before chancing it on a real job. It would be nice to hear from someone who has used it to get an opinion of the quality.
    Twitter? My Apps List

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    All great stuff, I can see the compass being used for Social Networking real soon. Social Networking seems to be as popular as ever.

Who doesn't love a good App no matter what platform it is.

Quote Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post
    .........Who doesn't love a good App no matter what platform it is.
    No one in their "right minds!" An good app is a good app and we can hope for things like this one to spread to other devices.

9of13 no está en línea Theme Pro
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    ok, that subway app is something that, even though all that info is in my head(i live in NYC), i would still want it!!!!!! any word on maybe a bb version?
    For my theme blog, remember....
    Resistance Is Futile

Not until there's a BB with a compass. It uses a combination of GPS, compass, and video camera.....hopefully soon. I can see apps like this becoming really popular...fun to play with, but if they are as easy to use as the video makes it seem, and accurate...they could be an invaluable tool.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~