...for Android, BlackBerry, iPhone, Palm, Symbian & WM. After skipping this feature last week I ... Smartphone News forum

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!

Smartphone Add-Ons of the Week 07-01-09

Advertisement

...for Android, BlackBerry, iPhone, Palm, Symbian & WM.

After skipping this feature last week I had a bit of a hard time this week for most platforms in trying to narrow it down to just one add-on per platform. There have been many new apps released and a few sneak peeks at some good things to come but here are the add-ons chosen for this week.

Android Smartphones
    Ever wish you could use your Android phone as a web cam? Well Qik has released an alpha version of Qik in the Android Marketplace. Qik has been around for a while and their service is available on many other platforms including Nokia, BlackBerry, and Windows Mobile so it was simply a matter of making it work with Android. A quick review found on phandroid.com gave good feedback. Here are the capabilities in this 1st release:
    Minimum Device Requirement:Firmware 1.5, SD Card on the device Features in this release: Live streaming with live chat, Share videos to Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Ability to set your videos to Private / Public with a touch of a button, Add Title / Description to the video prior

BlackBerry Smartphones

I don't know about you, but I love listening to music on my BlackBerry. I have several albums loaded on my SD card and quite a few media players and streaming music apps. I heard about a cool app this week on BerryReview with tons of potential called TuneWiki. It is a media player that displays the lyrics to your music and scrolls them karaoke style. The app is only available through App World and come in two versions, a free version with ads and a pay version for $4.99 that is ad free. I definitely recommend the free version as the app does have some issues. I found quite a few songs where lyrics were not available and another with wrong lyrics. They have a forum where you can make lyrics requests and give feedback. You can also post what song you are playing to Facebook and Twitter and it uses your phonnes GPS for location based service that shows what others in your area are listening to. It's a fun app with plenty of potential and worth trying out the free version.

Apple iPhone

Shape Services has released a new version of IM+ that makes use of the new push services available with the iPhone 3.0 OS version. With IM+ you can connect with friends on Twitter, Skype Chat, Facebook Chat, Yahoo, MSN/Windows Live, AIM/iChat/MobileMe, ICQ, Google Talk, Myspace IM, and Jabber. Other than push services, the other new changes in this versio n are the addition of groups in contact list, dialog wallpapers, and of course the copy/paste function now available in iPhone 3.0. IM+ 3.1 is priced at $9.99 which is not bad for all those services condensed into one app and the majority of the recent reviews have been very positive. I may take advantage of my 2 month trial of MobileMe for my iPod Touch and test this out. For full details check it out in the iTunes Store or the App Store on your device.

Windows Mobile Smartphones
    Skype 3.0 for Windows Mobile is out of beta. The improvements in this version include the ability to send files like photos, music, and documents and the ability to send text messages. As always you can make free Skype to Skype calls and free instant messaging. This application is a huge money saver when traveling or calling abroad! You can also make calls to non-Skype members using Skype Credit or a subscription. Check out the Skype site for full details on supported devices, minimum requirements, and download instructions. Skype for Windows Mobile is a free download but uses a lot of data if not using Wi-Fi so an unlimited data plan is highly recommended.

Nokia Smartphones

Hayden posted this week about the new Nokia Messaging. It is currently in beta and works with Yahoo Messenger and Ovi. It is only available for the E75 which is the 1st device to come with a lifetime subscription to the Nokia Messaging service. They will be soon adding support for more devices and more communities. According to the Nokia Beta Labs it is a desktop like experience on your mobile device such as using the familiar Yahoo specific emoticons graphics and sounds.

Palm Smartphones

I thought for sure after not posting the add-ons of the week last week that there would be all sorts of Palm Pre goodness to post about....but found nothing new in the world of Palm Pre applications outside of the numerous homebrew apps that people have been creating. Then someone found a way to package these homebrew apps in a way that Pre users could simply click a link from an email to install them. But that also is a great security risk so that didn't last long and an updated version of webOS was released and pushed to customers. For the brave and adventurous ones there are still ways to root your device and get some of the new homebrew apps like this translator. But I'm sure that Pre owners are getting frustrated at the sLow speed of application developement and release for their new devices.

Last edited by azstar; 07-01-2009 at 09:23 PM.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Great list of add-ons for the week, Az. Thanks for taking the time to do it.

This is terrific new weekly feature to the news section!
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

rashard no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    208FBA40
    Hey you forgot one, the completely random one thats always at the end? lol
    It takes many professionals versed in many different area's to help the masses, I am just a single drop in that pool.

BXXXX[:::::::::::::::::::::::::::>

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Haha, it was a test to see if anyone would notice it will be back next week!
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by rashard View Post
    Hey you forgot one, the completely random one thats always at the end? lol
    Quote Originally Posted by azstar View Post
    Haha, it was a test to see if anyone would notice it will be back next week!
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~
    Good. I thought that feature had been eliminated when it wasn't there. :d
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com