...for Android, BlackBerry, iPhone, Palm, Symbian & WM. This will be a new weekly feature ... Smartphone News forum

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!

Smartphone Add-Ons of the Week 06-10-09

Advertisement

...for Android, BlackBerry, iPhone, Palm, Symbian & WM.

This will be a new weekly feature on PinStack where just one application or accessory will be highlighted for each smartphone platform. The app or accessory will be chosen from new releases, popular apps with major updates, or just cool things we find in the smartphone world.

Android Smartphones
    Google Places Directory App for Android: This is a Google Labs Product that allows users to find places and services based on their location. You can use it to find things like restaurants, banks, movie theaters and other local businesses and attractions. You can then get directions, ratings, and photos to help you determine if that's the place to be.

Here's a bit about how the app came to be: "
    As an engineer based in Taipei, I frequently travel to Google headquarters in Mountain View. When I'm there, I'm always looking for local businesses to try out, like coffee shops and restaurants. I also forget where the banks and ATM's are. While Search and Maps can help me find the information I need, it's nice to have the option to browse a directory of places, as well. For instance, if I need some money, do I search for an ATM or a bank? If I had a short list of business categories to choose from, I could just scan it to choose the right one." This is a free app that can be downloaded from the Android Market. [via Google Mobile Blog]

BlackBerry Smartphones
    I think the biggest news in BlackBerry this week was the highly anticipated release of the facebook app version 1.6. This release has made huge leaps above previous versions and is a very welcome improvement. Some of the changes are:

Status updates and highlights on the home page – you can now view your friends’ most recent status updates right on the home page. Highlights like photo uploads and wall posts are just a click away and you can comment on a photo, poke a friend, etc right from the home page. Wall access from within Facebook for BlackBerry – with one click on your friend’s profile picture from the home page, you can access their wall without having to go to the mobile site. Photo viewing in a simple, easy-to-use slideshow format – check out your friends’ latest photo albums with improved photo viewing, and view albums in a simple and easy-to-use slideshow format. Just scroll back and forth through the thumbnails along the bottom to display the larger picture in the center of the screen.See more about people's thoughts and experiences with facebook 1.6 on the launch day thread and cherrichiodo's review!

Apple Smartphones
    WorldMate for iPhone was released this week, this is an app that users on other platforms like BlackBerry and Windows Mobile are very familiar with. WorldMate is a must have application for business travelers especially. With Worldmate for iPhone you can manage your itinerary, search for flights, automated flight updates, world clocks, currancy converters, and weather all around the world. "WorldMate automatically builds your itinerary and synchronizes it to your iPhone for immediate access. Just forward confirmation emails to trips@worldmate.com and let WorldMate do the rest!" Check out this thread here for a very funny WorldMate video that pokes fun at some of the other apps out there for the iPhone. Check out this link for more screen shots and details about WorldMate here. You can get the free version and the premium Gold version in the App Store.

Palm Smartphones
    With the launch of the Palm Pre less than a week old, the line-up of apps is small to start, but there have already been some new ones added since launch day. I came across this one that I think I could use for sure. It's called Speed Brain. The purpose of the application is to sharpen your thinking skills. Here's more:

"Palm selects Lumosity to bring the first brain training game to the Palm Pre. Designed to improve your processing speed and reaction time, Speed Brain exercises your ability to quickly understand information and react to it. You can also connect to your Lumosity account on your Palm Pre, which will allow you to track your Lumosity Brain Profile. As with other Lumosity games, Speed Brain for webOS was created with heavy involvement from doctors, neuroscientists, and psychologists at universities worldwide. Search for “Speed Brain” in the Palm Pre App Catalog. We hope our Palm Pre users will enjoy their brain training on the go!" Check out more screen shots [via Lumosity's blog]

Nokia Smartphones
    For Symbian users with touch screen devices I saw a cool app available in the Ovi Store called Handwriting Calculator by Nokia Labs.

"And of course Nokia can use the Ovi Store to get some more visibility to their frankly wonderful Beta Labs products – applications that could make the grade in later versions of S60 (or given the lead time, more realistically the Symbian Foundation OS), that all deserve the beta tag but are rather good in their own right. Handwriting Calculator, obviously for the 5th Gen touchscreen devices, allows you to use your stylus (or fingernail!) to scrawl down a sum, and the handwriting recognition engine will work out the sum, even with complicated divisions, factors and brackets. A nice piece of work, and even with Nokia's warning that (being beta) it may change at any time, or even disappear, it's still worth the free download."

This was one of seven apps features in an article on all about symbian.com here. Here's a link to get it in the Ovi Store

Windows Mobile Smartphones
    For Window's Mobile users there has been a new beta release of the popular Opera Mobile browser, version 9.7. Opera continues to work hard and make improvements to it's mobile browser as it gains popularity with users worldwide. Some of the improvements are faster load times for web pages, better compression, and the new Opera Widgets manager. There are also some known bugs but that is to be expected from a beta product.

Check out Opera's site for a detailed list of known bugs and download links for the Opera Mobile Browser 9.7b1 beta and the Opera Widgets Manager Add-on 9.7b1

Funniest Smartphone App of the Week!

This was not supposed to be a part of this feature, but I just had to throw it in here. I may just make it part of the weekly article, I'll post whatever made me LOL or shake my head in wonder of who thought it up, and who exactly uses it.

I saw this on IntoMobile about a week ago, the Elvis Mobile iPhone app. This app lets you post your Elvis sightings, learn facts about the King, and check out photos, videos and more.

via IntoMobile: "Finally, and this is where Elvis Mobile really shines - you can actually learn all about the famous rock’n'roll star, view his rare pictures and video clips, and keep an eye on the most famous home in the world with the 247 photo LiveCam… In a nutshell, bits of the Elvis Mobile app are useful, while others are plain weird"

via textually.org: "It's also your one-stop guide to all things Elvis. View rare pictures of Elvis and video from Graceland pictures updated weekly or keep an eye on the most famous home in the world with the 247 photo LiveCam. Be the first to know about everything Elvis and Graceland via an RSS feed or listen to the weekly podcasts from Elvis Radio."
    Last edited by azstar; 06-10-2009 at 07:21 PM.

rashard no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    208FBA40
    Great work, great feature, I enjoyed it
    It takes many professionals versed in many different area's to help the masses, I am just a single drop in that pool.

BXXXX[:::::::::::::::::::::::::::>

xlarkascendingx no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    207959bd
    Facebook 1.6 made my phone die.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Quote Originally Posted by xlarkascendingx View Post
    Facebook 1.6 made my phone die.
    Lets get details on how you accomplished that. I hope you sent in a report since the Facebook App is developed by RIM.

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Just got to read this, Az. Nice work featuring each category plus the "fun" stuff at the end.

I know it takes a lot effort to put this together - thanks for spending the time.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

xlarkascendingx no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    207959bd
    I clicked on refresh for status updates and my phone froze, network went down and there's no network coverage led flash lol

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by xlarkascendingx View Post
    I clicked on refresh for status updates and my phone froze, network went down and there's no network coverage led flash lol
    So YOU'RE the one who knocked the network down! Powerful 8320 - hang on to that one. jk - :d
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com