...for Android, BlackBerry, iPhone, Palm, Symbian & WM. This has been an interesting week in ... Smartphone News forum

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!

Smartphone Add-Ons Of The Week 08/0509

...for Android, BlackBerry, iPhone, Palm, Symbian & WM.

This has been an interesting week in the smartphone world. There has been a lot of developer drama in the iPhone world, tons of new device release dates and new rumors, and quite a few useful applications and accessories have made an appearance.

Android Smartphones has released their application for the Android platform this week to add to their line-up of apps already released for BlackBerry and iPhone. I use the BlackBerry version and it's a great application. If you regularly browse or buy from then you should check out this application. My favorite part of the app is amazon remembers "
    Amazon Remembers is available on Amazon’s family of shopping applications, including the Amazon App for iPhone and iPod Touch, the Amazon App for BlackBerry, and now on the Amazon App for Android. Using the Amazon App for Android, customers can snap a photo of a product or scan a barcode for a fun and easy way to build a list of photographs showing products they want to remember for later, make price comparisons across multiple merchants, and purchase products from and thousands of other retailers on the site – without ever using the keyboard." Check out Hayden's post here for more details about this great app. It is a free download available in the Android Market.

BlackBerry Smartphones
    Open Table has released a new application called OpenTable for BlackBerry. I originally saw this on BerryReview and was hoping to test it out but it is for devices running OS 4.7 or higher only. This application has some great features to make going out to dinner and planning from your BlackBerry very easy, and the app is free! "With OpenTable for BlackBerry you can make free, instantly
    confirmed restaurant reservations
    at over 10,000 restaurants. Plus, OpenTable members earn valuable Dining Rewards Points redeemable for Dining Cheques good at any OpenTable restaurant. Search by address or use your GPS to find restaurants,closest to your current location (GPS depends on carrier and device capability), Refine restaurant list by cuisine, price or availability, Invite fellow diners via email, Manage upcoming reservations" You can only get this app through App World, but check out their site for their FAQ. This app is also available for Palm Pre, Iphone and more.

Apple iPhoneI chose a new case as the add-on for iPhone this week. With the way Apple has been pulling apps and banning developers latelyI was almost afraid to highlight an app in case it might disappear on me But really, I saw a new case on coolest gadgets and thought it was worth a mention. AGF has a new case available called the Precision HSD case for iPhone 3G and 3GS. From the press release "The Precision HSD for iPhone 3G and 3G S blends durability and style in a unique case and carry solution that safeguards both the front and back of your the iPhone. The patented design will not scratch or rub the surface of the phone because of its innovative, easy-to-use, one-handed latch system. The unique case design does not attach directly to the phone and provides superior protection without wear to the phone's surface. The Precision HSD case is available in custom finishes, all with a premium look and feel that is competitively priced. iPhone can be placed oriented with screen facing in or screen facing out, Engineered hinge to enhance use and durability, Soft microfiber lining, Protects both sides of phone for extra protection and style, Easy-to-open door to view calls or phone status, Patented AGF long-life 180-degree swivel belt clip" It is priced at $35, check out more here. Video demo.

Palm SmartphonesShape Services has released a new version of their popular IM+ line, IM+ for Skye is now available for the Palm Pre. It is a web based app, visit on your Pre mobile browser. Here are some of the features "IM+ for Skype is a web-based application for Palm Pre with WebOS that enables voice and text communication with other Skype users and provides cost-effective calling to landlines and mobiles. Call Skype users to their PCs, With IM+ for Skype you can talk with other Skype users all over the world. See who is online and chat with Skype users. With IM+ for Skype it is possible to have chat conversations with other users who are logged in with their Skype accounts on PC. IM+ for Skype works worldwide in any 3G⁄GSM⁄CDMA network and doesn't require WiFi. IM+ for Skype is fully mobile software. It does not require the PC with Skype running. IM+ for Skype enables users to call regardless of where they are. User friendly intuitive interface and built-in help make the software really easy to use for everyone. Our Support Team will gladly answer your questions about the application via e-mail 7 days a week. This app is not free, but if you are a heavy skype user you may want to check it out here.

Windows Mobile Smartphonesvia intomobile Spb Software has released a new streaming radio app for Windows Mobile smartphones running 5.0 or higher. It is not free, but only costs a one time fee of $9.95 which seems very reasonable for all the features. From the Spb site "A high-quality Internet radio player for Windows Phones, which gives subscription-free access to an unlimited number of live streaming radio stations from all over the world. Built in radio stations catalog with 1500+ stations, Favorites, All countries, all genres, Custom stations, Station search, Real time radio streaming, Bitrate indicator, Support for EDGE connection, Touch-oriented user interface, Kinetic scrolling, Screen turn off, On-screen volume control, and Adaptive skins. Check out their site for a video demo as well more details for phone/OS compatibility. This seems like a really nice player with great touches like the ability to customize it with different skins to suit your style.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    Great stuff, I was glad to see the Palm App surface. So many people use IM Clients.

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    It was nice to see soimething new for the Pre. Official apps have been few and far between, but for the brave ones ready to root their devices there are plenty of home brew apps available.
    BlackBerry8330/ Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/106

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Nice "add-on" thread this week, Az. I definitely need to re-checkout he Amazon app. I buy stuff from them all the time large and small. I'm always amazed at all the stuff you get on Amazon. Within the last year I've bought my Canon printer, a "spot" heater for my studio and a paper shedder!

I watched the AGF video and I like the case but I kept wondering if the user would accidentally press one of the side buttons when "drawing" the BB from the holster? I do that with my BB's just picking them up sometimes.

Lastly, the fact that Shape Services came out with IM+ for Skype for the Pre doesn't impact me except to say that I'm a fan of the company and I'm glad to see them expand. I have three of their apps one of which is IM+ for Skype and, although I'm not a "big" Skype user I like having the option on my BB. The folks at Shape are nice too - they're not quite as involved as "you know who" in their beta tests - who is? - but they'll answer your techy questions and they stand behind their products.

Thanks again for taking the time to post this one.

...and you're on Twitter! I must admit I haven't paid much attention to the Pinstack postings on Twitter - usually I've already read the stuff that's posted there but what a great feature for PS!
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com