First off, some of you are probably wondering what SlingBox is. Well here is the ... Smartphone News forum

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

SlingPlayer To Be Coming For BlackBerry?...Looks That Way!

Advertisement

First off, some of you are probably wondering what SlingBox is. Well here is the definition from their site:

Founded in 2004, Sling Media, Inc. is a different kind of consumer electronics company - one that's working to demystify convergence technologies and to create empowering experiences for the digital media consumer. The focus of Sling Media is to embrace - not replace - existing products and standards by enhancing them with hardware and software that make divergent technologies compatible and greatly improve the consumer experience. Because, after all, can't we all just get along?!

Sling Media's first product, the Slingbox™, has literally transformed the way we are able watch TV. The Slingbox turns any Internet-connected PC, Mac, or mobile device into your home television. That means you can watch TV virtually anywhere in the world.

Sling Media's innovative software, SlingPlayer™, is a software application that connects users to their Slingbox and allows remote control of the video source device. This is available for additional computers and devices, including Macintosh-based systems. The SlingPlayer applications are fully compatible with Slingboxes sold today.

So many of us were wondering if SlingBox would ever make it's way to BlackBerry devices.

First and foremost, if you try and run this thing on anything OTHER than a broadband mobile connection, it won't be worth it. GPRS/EDGE aren't even close to supporting the speeds that would be necessary to support this program.

However, as many know with rumors and news that have been released, Cingular is already equipping themselves with 3G service and TMobile is in the first steps of equipping their service with 3G. Verizon and sprint already have the necessary speeds for programs such as SlingBox (proven by the ability to use it on a Motorola Q).

So I was browsing around SlingMedia's website and came across this posting for employment opportunities:

Senior Quality Assurance Engineer

Job Title: Senior Quality Assurance Engineer
    Department: Engineering Group
    Reports To: Director of QA
    Date: 12 January 2007

General Summary

This position is responsible for:

• Working as part of our testing team, searching for, investigating, reporting, and tracking defects. Your duties will include assistance in the maintenance of a state of the art audio/visual, networking laboratory, black box testing following existing test plans and test plans that you write, designing new test cases, operating automated test suites, and analyzing defect reports. If you love working with the latest technologies, are a quick learner, a great team player, and able to work independently, this is your chance to join us in our continued quest to provide excellence.

Essential Responsibilities

• Testing Sling Media software and hardware on a variety of operating systems, networks and devices.
    • Manage and maintain a testing lab and equipment inventory with multiple third-party routers, video and audio devices (HDTV, DirecTV, TiVo, Media Center, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, etc.).
    • Develop automatic test scripts using commercial test tools (WinRunner / LoadRunner)
    • Experience with researching third-party products (for reselling/bundling/compatibility) and experience with generating both detailed and executive summary reports.
    • Work closely with Customer Service by assisting them with customer escalations and the reproduction of issues in the lab.
    • Track & analyze test results and work closely with the developers to isolate and reproduce defects.
    • Interact closely with members of the cross-functional team for project success.
    • Work with other Sling Media QA team members to source domain expertise and apply to architecture testing
    • Communicate status & issues in a timely fashion and manage escalations appropriately.

Job Specifications/Requirements

• 8+ years QA experience testing various products
    • Background in testing both software and hardware (home networking and audio/visual devices).
    • Developing test plan / test cases, generating test reports and bug tracking management.
    • Testing software products on multiple platforms (Windows OS, Macintosh OS and SQL-based databases).
    • Experience with automated testing tools at both the API and UI level.
    • Experience in the shrink-wrap software industry is highly desirable.
    • Experience gathering and analyzing software quality metrics throughout the software development life cycle.
    • Experience with researching third-party products (for reselling/bundling/compatibility) and experience with generating both detailed and executive summary reports.
    • Familiarity with audio / video streaming, including HDTV fundamentals.
    • Familiarity with home video/audio products.
    • Basic understanding of Networking (Setting up routers / port forwarding / UPnP is a plus).
    • Ability to work on multiple projects under tight deadlines and changing priorities.
    • Testing and managing Mobile devices lab (Windows Mobile, S60, Palm OS, JavaME (J2ME), RIM, BREW) is a plus.
    • BS in Computer Science or equivalent.
    So whaddya think?

Will we be seeing SlingBox available for BlackBerry devices once the 3G equipped devices are launched in the United States? Hmmm....

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f

Re: SlingPlayer To Be Coming For BlackBerry?...Looks That Way!

wow this is great.. but I wish I can afford it hahah.

come2heavy no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204d0e10

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~how much is it, and can u ota it???

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Very, very sweet. Will have to wait for a while, but will be well worth it.

Toddboy71 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    T o' Bee

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Slingbox is a device you can buy for unde $200 with no monthly fees like tivo. So once its supported, and you're in a 3g or equiv network, you're in!

kwolf3481 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204C37B2

Err umm come2heavy, did you actually read the whole post or just browse it? Its not available for BB yet.Plus our internet doesn't support it either.

Kwolf

come2heavy no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204d0e10

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i browsed it, thanks jwolf 4 the info!!!

COJO 24 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23E89BE8

So its about a $200 one-time fee? Also how does it work? Will it be a app on your bb (when/if it comes out)?

Thanks in advance,

COJO 24

Toddboy71 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    T o' Bee

I'm assuming it will be accessed right on the web. Not sure how it works for mobile devices currently supported, but that would be my somewhat educated guess.

Blades255 no está en línea Stack level 1

It is basically a remote control and TV all in one. Pretend you are sitting on your couch, there it is. you have full TIVO or DVR remote capabilities and you watch your TV / recordings from whereever you are

Quote Originally Posted by COJO 24
    So its about a $200 one-time fee? Also how does it work? Will it be a app on your bb (when/if it comes out)?

Thanks in advance,

COJO 24

5angels no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    241c528b

does anyone have an update on availability of Slingbox on BB?

dclawyer no está en línea Stack level 3
    It's now 8/20/2008. Still no slingplayer!

csaquido no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23ed4e10
    any eta on slingplayer for BB

bladeberry no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    318b6284
    i bet it would run fine on cdma lol being that i have used it on a laptop tetherd with my 8130 and to use it on my bb was the only reason i got the sling box they been working on it for a while now