Does emailing a colleague in the next cubicle seem logical? Does expressing an emotion in ... Smartphone News forum

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

Six in Ten Canadians Concerned Technology Takes Away From Face Time

Advertisement

Does emailing a colleague in the next cubicle seem logical? Does expressing an emotion in a text message using LOL ... ... SETE ...TRDMF(+) come naturally? For the majority of Canadians, this isexactly how we communicate. What ever happened to human interaction?

Canadians are feeling the strain of technology on their relationships with friends and family, with sixty-one percent wishing they could go back to a time where reliance on technology wasn't so heavy.

"Human interaction moves people emotionally and while electronic communication is efficient to stay in touch, Canadians want and need to complement their relationships with more face time," says relationship expert Allie MacPhail who works with teens, parents, married couples and peers on strengthening their relationships. "Although Canadians, specifically teens and young adults, are often very well connected online and through text messages, many of them feel isolated, lonely and lacking real, personal connections. Quality relationships are more important than quantity of friends and Canadians need to get offline and make face time with their family and peers."

Here are some tips from Allie MacPhail on how to create more face time with family and friends:

- Invite the person out (or in) to participate in a common interest/activity (i.e. dog walking, lunch, going to the gym etc.).

- Ask for some face to face time. People often mention that they want to get together but the actual planning of it happens much less frequently.

- Turn off the electronics. As much as we think we can still focus on the conversation at hand, the TV and computer are huge distractions.

- Start an informal group such as a book club or join a sports team. Face to face will happen with more ease when people have common goals.

- Respect the time of others and yourself while still honouring the relationship you have (i.e. "I know you are busy, but I would love to spend an hour/30 minutes with you to catch up.").

[read more]

Smurf2598 no está en línea Themes Expert
    PIN/ID
    320FE245
    wow thats a deep thread.... never looked at it that way.. kinda agree and most of me kinda disagree but its true to some folks...
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS]~~ J. SMURF <~~[/FONT]

BBThemesUnltd
    --- My Site
    Follow me on Twitter
    @JSmurfy
    @BBThemesUnltd

BBerry07 no está en línea Stack level 2
    They should reduce that to 3 in 5......

macallik no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Interesting article.

planneau no está en línea Stack level 5
    I actually agree with it.

Before when you want to breakup with your girlfriend or boyfriend;or even get a divorce. You and your partner would meet some place for dinner then have "the Talk". Now when you want to brake up, you get a text message or an email.

My buddy wife sent him a text message on his blackberry telling that she wanted a divorce. Now tell me that's not #%&$*up.

But the thing the some people fail to remember. If it wasn't for emailing, texting, and IM; I wouldn't have had a friend that lives in Hawaii, LA, and San diego that I IM every so often.
    ..........SHAKE N BAKE..........

Haguilar84 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    244D73DB
    Not to sound stupid, but what the heck does SETE and TRDMF(+) mean?

wyy183 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24AAA616
    Six out of ten?? Makes me wonder what the heck is wrong with the other four!!

If they had BlackBerries, they would be "complete" and not wasting all that time with face-to-face interaction!

wyy183 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24AAA616
    Quote Originally Posted by Haguilar84 View Post
    Smiling Ear-to-ear

Tears running down my face

http://www.internetslang.com/ anytime you need acronym references

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    Quote Originally Posted by wyy183 View Post

If they had BlackBerries, they would be "complete" and not wasting all that time with face-to-face interaction!

I know! Ain't that right
    My first interaction with this was years ago when I worked for AOL. My boss never came out of his office to talk to me, he IM'd me on AIM
    But was cool when I screened his calls, bc I didn't have to get up to go tell him, I just IM'd it to him

Quote Originally Posted by Haguilar84 View Post
    LOL!! I didn't know either i figured i'd just ask my teenager ...

ReccaKun no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23E08FB0
    wow they have acronym for almost everything....YMMV (you mileage may vary) LOL.... haha

Anela808 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    4M32KN0W
    Quote Originally Posted by BBerry07 View Post
    They should reduce that to 3 in 5......
    Lmao, you must be a math teacher!

My math teacher loves to write in huge red capital letters reminding us to "REDUCE!!"

Thanks for that, you made me laugh.

Ridicule no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by wyy183 View Post

Hehe - you're a howl! My thought exactly! (get Allie a BB and she'll be hooked just like everyone else)