Tourists and Washington commuters may soon find it easier to stay in touch when they’re ... Smartphone News forum

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

Senate Opens Doors to More Wireless Services in D.C. Metro

Advertisement

Tourists and Washington commuters may soon find it easier to stay in touch when they’re underground in Washington’s Metro system.

In a little-noticed clause tacked on to a rail safety bill that passed the Senate Wednesday, Congress is requiring the D.C. Metro system to open up its system so that any licensed wireless carrier can offer service.

Only Verizon Wireless customers have been able to make phone calls or use their BlackBerry’s on the Metro although Sprint customers have roaming service underground.

The bill provides $1.5 billion to Metro over the next 10 years for improvements and maintenance. But the Metro system can only have the money, according to the legislation, if it “ensures that customers of the rail service of the Transit Authority have access within the rail system to services provided by any licensed wireless provide.”

The Metro system will have a year after the legislation is enacted to open up wireless service at the 20 highest-volume stations with service in all of its stations within four years. A White House spokesman said today that the president will soon sign the bill.

Commuters (including, apparently, some congressional staffers) have been grumbling for years that they can’t use their cellphones, iPhones and BlackBerry’s on the Metro, even though Verizon customers have pretty good service underground.

[read more]

rjs87 no está en línea Stack level 3
    i wouldn't be surprised if this was passed because of people in the senate and house of rep take the metro and cant use their smart phones
    **There are 2 types of people in this world: those who use the search bar and those who do not**

MOskins no está en línea Stack level 1
    It's about time!! I guess with the credit crunch, our Senators are starting to take Metro, over a taxi.

kane no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    DC had the worst traffic in the country it should never take 3 hours to travel a few city blocks this bill is long over due I've hated getting little or no reception on the metro ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

baker954 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Wow that's cool. I haven't ever been to DC but that's still a good step for maybe all cities about wireless service underground.
    via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

lldru32 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Finally... I have T-Mo, and I always have to cut my convo short when going underground! This is long overdue!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

lldru32 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Finally... I have T-Mo, and I always have to cut my convo short when going underground! This is long overdue!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

javiskefka no está en línea Stack level 1
    About time is right. I found it quite asinine that WMATA was harping about a new service for reporting security incidents via SMS when only Verizon customers can use their phones underground.