Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NEW DELHI: With terror merchants using different modes of communication, the security concerns over BlackBerry ... Smartphone News forum

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

Security concerns over BlackBerry back after blasts

Advertisement

NEW DELHI: With terror merchants using different modes of communication, the security concerns over BlackBerry have come back into focus. The home ministry on Tuesday said that the issue of misuse would have to be sorted out.
    “We are seized of the matter and it would be taken up with appropriate authorities soon,” a senior home ministry official said.

The security agencies here have been seeking a lowering of the encryption levels for enabling them access to email sent through BlackBerry. But the Canadian company RIM has been resisting this demand on the ground that it would go against the interest of its consumers. RIM’s servers are located in Canada and the Indian government does not have access to them.

The telecom department had suggested to RIM that it shift the servers for Indian network to India and provide the government access to the data. “There should be a single point of delivery system for the entire BlackBerry traffic in India and the traffic originating and terminating in India should not travel outside,” the security agencies had told DoT.

Another official said the security agencies had sought password protection for every customer using the WiFi technology. However, the recent hacking in its proxy server while sending the email ahead of the weekend blasts was a glaring violation of the same.

[source]

Jbee no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    3047D925

Shadowshots no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    Typical, when the govt senses some type of "security" hole that is wholly due to their own ineptitude, their solution is to seize that opportunity to invade and negate citizens privacy.

javijavi no está en línea Stack level 3
    Is India set to be RIM's next biggest customer base or something? Is every Indian citizen promised to own a blackberry in the next 5 years? I dont get it. Some random gov't agency wants to have unfettered access to a private software development firms encoding scheme. What on earth makes them think RIM gives a crap and will comply?

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    It comes back down to the muslim countries (not the muslim religion specifically but their leaders) having to have complete control of everything in a person's life. They aren't happy that people can view things on thier units that are considered illegal per the governments strict controls and standards.

You can see something similar happening in China with the Olympic games and reporter's access to the internet.

Zo

jsaradhi no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by javijavi View Post
    Is India set to be RIM's next biggest customer base or something? Is every Indian citizen promised to own a blackberry in the next 5 years? I dont get it. Some random gov't agency wants to have unfettered access to a private software development firms encoding scheme. What on earth makes them think RIM gives a crap and will comply?
    india is a huge market, that's why. why do you think every big corporation including almost every american company is getting into india these days? they follow the money. and i dont expect u to understand the level of complexity of culture and lives there that live under constant attacks from terrorists...its incredibly difficult to maintain security with so many threats from all directions of the country. so the govt has to do everything they can to ensure security to maximum extent possible!

Quote Originally Posted by Amigotek View Post
    It comes back down to the muslim countries (not the muslim religion specifically but their leaders) having to have complete control of everything in a person's life. They aren't happy that people can view things on thier units that are considered illegal per the governments strict controls and standards.

You can see something similar happening in China with the Olympic games and reporter's access to the internet.

Zo
    i certainly hope u don't think india is a muslim country...

i dont want to get into an argument or anything with anyone here...but being from india, i couldn't just sit back looking at these posts without proper info/facts.

having said that, i do hope they resolve this issue soon so ppl living there can enjoy our beloved bb's.

kreesedup no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30bc9b43
    Interesting convo...
    "This life almost didn't happen"

phatmanxxl no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    3M TA3
    Sounds like big brother to me, besides if the terroists knew that BB's are monitered they will find some other means of communication. I would. Leaving the general public to be spied on by the government.
    phatman the phat stacker!

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    i certainly hope u don't think india is a muslim country...

i dont want to get into an argument or anything with anyone here...but being from india, i couldn't just sit back looking at these posts without proper info/facts.

having said that, i do hope they resolve this issue soon so ppl living there can enjoy our beloved bb's.
    Honestly, yes I did. I am apparently wrong and at fault for not researching my information prior to posting my statements.

Zo

k9820986843 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    256D62B2

its fair

i think the indian government is right in asking for so.seeing terrorism at such a rise!!!!!!15 blast -ahemdabad 8 banglore and close to 23 bombs defused.guys dont be stupid,something like this in the US would have the whole of US shut down.i am not against anyone but look one terrorist attack on the US 9/11 what they reacted and how they broke loose on pakistan and they were scared to , well we guys go through this so often its scary .

devilsadidas no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask
    yes and after 911 we got the patriot act! yay everyone loves a little government invasion

javijavi no está en línea Stack level 3
    Did I read somewhere that India would be satisfied with a closed circuit blackberry network? If RIM wants to develop a special Indian model blackberry and divulge a new encryption standard to the Indian gov't so that they can monitor all communications, and that these phones could never communicate with another blackberry outside of India and never even pass through RIM's North American servers, thats fine with me.

Just dont ask to have my security compromised so you can better handle your problems.

letstlk70 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    215B2775
    I agree. If they develop something just for India I'm fine with it but I don't want my bb security compromised here in the U.S. I don't think its an outrageous request by India. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Last edited by letstlk70; 07-31-2008 at 10:59 AM.

kingrykku27 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2444409C
    I agree, I don't want to be spied on by India because of something going on in a different country. Not to be offensive or anything, but if RIM gave them the goods, then every company that relies on Blackberries is compromised. Work-sensitive material, that late-night email...... Well you get the point. It's been mentioned before, but I strongly second the notion of an India-only encryption so their government and RIM ONLY have access to it. Big Brother isnt gonna fly with me any more.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

jsaradhi no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by k9820986843 View Post
    i think the indian government is right in asking for so.seeing terrorism at such a rise!!!!!!15 blast -ahemdabad 8 banglore and close to 23 bombs defused.guys dont be stupid,something like this in the US would have the whole of US shut down.i am not against anyone but look one terrorist attack on the US 9/11 what they reacted and how they broke loose on pakistan and they were scared to , well we guys go through this so often its scary .
    yeah...according to a report in npr and some other news channel as well, over the period of 3 years or so between 2004 and 2007, there were more than 3000 casualties due to bomb blasts and other terrorist activities in india by islam extremists...second only to iraq during the same period. imagine if india went the US route...it would be real bad for india too economically (like the US now), but how unstable the whole region would become. i have nothing against anybody here...just stating mere facts, so u guys get an idea of what india has been enduring!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast