The BlackBerry Storm is the first BlackBerry with a high-quality, auto-focus camera! To celebrate, scanR ... Smartphone News forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Scan and fax with the BlackBerry Storm

Advertisement

The BlackBerry Storm is the first BlackBerry with a high-quality, auto-focus camera! To celebrate, scanR released a new version of its software, making it even easier to scan and fax on the go. Now BlackBerry Storm users can scan documents, whiteboards and business cards into searchable PDF files and electronic contacts, or send faxes anywhere in the world.

Scan and fax
    The BlackBerry Storm has a 3.2 megapixel camera that takes great pictures and can be used with scanR to capture nearly anything printed or written on paper. Simply take a photo of a document, whiteboard, or business card with scanR and get a digital scan or fax in just few seconds.

View your documents
    scanR Mobile is designed for the unique touch screen of the BlackBerry Storm. With its large size and tactile feedback, it’s perfect for easily scanning your information and viewing your files.

The newest feature, designed for BlackBerry, is a quick, simple way to view your documents on the go. scanR Mobile lets you view your documents without downloading the entire file first, saving you time and lowering your network use. You can view, scroll and zoom your scanned files, giving you access to all of your information, without a computer.

scanR is available for download at www.scanr.com on your computer or m.scanr.com/download on your phone. scanR is free to try and costs as little as $3 a month for unlimited use.

About scanR

scanR lets you use your camera phone or digital camera to scan, copy, and fax. To turn your paper documents into useful digital information, just take a photo and upload it to scanR. The scanR service produces clean copies of documents, whiteboards, and business cards; extracts text information; and creates a PDF file, electronic contact, or fax. Over one million people in 200 countries have downloaded scanR to their mobile phones. scanR has partnered with AT&T, KDDI, Nokia, Sprint, Vodafone, and other industry leaders. scanR, Inc. is a privately held company, financed by Adobe Systems, JAIC, Thomvest International, Trinity Ventures, and True Ventures.

For more information about scanR, see www.scanr.com.
    Attached Images Attached Images

tstrike no está en línea Stack level 3
    YES I have been DYING FOR this type of application for my expense reports

Thank Jeebus!! SOLD!

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Quote Originally Posted by tstrike View Post
    YES I have been DYING FOR this type of application for my expense reports

Thank Jeebus!! SOLD!
    Yup. RIM should spend more Ad time featuring apps like these for the Storm instead of just the click keyboard.

Tre Lawrence no está en línea Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by hayden View Post
    Yup. RIM should spend more Ad time featuring apps like these for the Storm instead of just the click keyboard.

Agreed!

planneau no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by hayden View Post

I agree too.
    ..........SHAKE N BAKE..........

jwm4480 no está en línea Stack level 2
    agreed

vortec7 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    30487CF1
    BUT IT CLICKS!!!!

haha J/k
    :)

GiorgosH no está en línea Stack level 2
    That is perfect for any1 who moves around out of office all the time (like me - sales.. .. Maybe there is a similar app for the Bold coming out?

Rizzleman716 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    21C680E5
    This is a really great looking app! The storm has potential I just RIM should have took a lil more time when doing the phone.. Just to check for bugs and all, but over when everything is fixed and what not that phone will be one HOT COMMODITY!
    T-Mobile Pearl 8100>T-Mobile Curve 8320>T-Mobile Curve 8900>T-Mobile Bold 8900

GiorgosH no está en línea Stack level 2
    It is a great app, but needs a subscription to work...

hametner no está en línea Stack level 1
    Finally a Blackberry with a great camera! Just like the folks at ScanR, we (I am on the team at Qipit) have been tracking The Storm closely. I was very excited to pick up my Storm and test the results of the camera as a document capture device. I was not disappointed and it is now my phone of choice. I even did a post on the Qipit blog (Search for "Qipit Storm" on Google for the post, I am a newbee here so I can't link) reviewing the Storm focusing on the camera for document capture. There are examples of documents and a test showing the camera's capabilities.

The key to The Storm’s ability to be used to scan, fax and copy is the auto-focus feature. This is the first blackberry to be able to change it’s focal point enabling document capture. Sorry, the Bold and Curve do not have auto-focus, so they can be used to copy whiteboards, but not documents, newspapers, business cards and magazines.

The other great feature on The Storm is that you can email your full sized photographs over the network. If you try this with an iPhone (on AT&T) your picture gets resized, making services like Qipit and ScanR not as useful.

ScanR is a useful service very similar to ours, although Qipit is free to use. Also, there is not a need to download an application. Qipit is a web based application that uses email. The Storm (on Verizon) will allow you to attach up to 3 pictures (a picture for each page) at a time. We are all happy to see RIM get on board with a nice camera, we all think the ability to scan, copy and fax for the Blackberry crowd is a no brainer.
    Last edited by hametner; 12-01-2008 at 02:49 AM. Reason: I added a line about document examples in the blog post.