Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Originally Posted by srl7741 Texting should not be the focus. Being distracted should be. We ... Smartphone News forum

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post
    Texting should not be the focus. Being distracted should be. We would all be better served if the violations being cited (tickets) were "distracted driving" not just texting. Distracted Driving would cover pretty much anything inside the vehicle which caused the distraction which resulted in an accident. Banning "texting" only will not solve the problems.
    If a state bans "Texting" like Ark. they will be back next session (or at some point) addressing the real problem "Distracted Drivers".
    Very well said.

dirtypirate no está en línea Stack level 2
    I'd think they'd have better things to do with their time than tell us when we can use our cell phones when almost all law enforcement cars equiped with laptops. I've seen way to many cops using them while driving and putting us as the public at risk
    BlackBerry8310/4.5.0.110 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102

mDRagON- no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    215c161f
    Hawaii already has a ban on texting and driving.
    "It’s been a long time coming, but tonight, because of what we did on this day, in this election, at this defining moment, change has come to America". - Barack Obama

www.twitter.com/waydavis

drice30721 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    20EF37F6
    There are a lot of people texting while driving. I've been guilty of it before; until, I started reading and seeing on television all the people that have been killed and injured due to this matter. I agree; this would be a very hard matter to monitor, but something needs to be done.
    BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.282 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102

eazid no está en línea Stack level 4
    I've never understood this mentality either. The only way to prove it would be to seize the device and process it as evidence like any other crime. I can only imagine the can of worms this will open.

As mentioned above what about people drinking pop, smoking, eating, talking to others in the car, combing their hair, putting on makeup, listening to a radio talk show that irritates you?

It's just not going to fix anything. Heck there are so many drivers who should not have a DL to begin with. They are just terrible drivers to begin with and it has nothing to do with texting.
    Exactly
    "Who Dares Wins"

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava
    Quote Originally Posted by mDRagON- View Post
    Hawaii already has a ban on texting and driving.
    Yep ~ sure does

RemyKirin no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask me

Thumbs down

All I have to say is that this is another underhanded attempt to try wring more money off the backs of the poor. This administration is proving to be way more devious and incompetent than even I had originally had thought. There will be no real way to enforce this effectively. I think calling a summit and wasting time on this is just a dodge, not to mention a huge waste of taxpayers money.
    ----
    "If you aren't remembered, then you never existed." – Arisu

"I'm watching a dream I'll never wake up from.." - Spike Spiegel

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    This may also be a solution to consider and we may see more of this type of software

http://forums.pinstack.com/f52/txtbl...riving-114438/

Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C144 Safari/528.16

PIN/ID
    Ask me
    This may also be a solution to consider and we may see more of this type of software

http://forums.pinstack.com/f52/txtbl...riving-114438/

Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C144 Safari/528.16
    There comes a point where we have to take responsibility for our own actions and software like this is like putting a bandaid on a broken leg. Lets be real here, before it was texting it was people reading magazines and newspapers. I personally think that this software and the law are gonna cause more problems than they solve. If your car is moving u shouldnt be reading anything other than road signs. If u are stuck in mile long traffic that is moving 10ft every 3min, there is nothing wrong with reading or doing something. If you must talk on the phone while driving occasionally (like some professions such as my part time job of being a chauffeur) get a bluetooth so u can use both hands, but stop relying on the government for everything. We arent lemmings, we all have the the capability to have common sense. Parents, if you see your teen trying to text while driving, take the friggin phone away and ground them till they get the point. As for adults, grow up. Ive seen people doing their makeup, shaving with a normal razor and shaving cream, and a myriad of other things, yet they dont get tickets. And as far as studies for txting vs drunk driving, thats just silly. I went to college for psychology, you can make studies and surveys to prove just about everything if you shape the questions and select the right people. hell we were even assigned that by my professor to prove that. In the end people will be doing it regardless of it being illegal or not, look at drunk driving. If you want to fix the problem, focus on some sort of technology that takes out the people factor, there is a program out there that they have been working on for the past few years that does just that. Automated cars almost exactly like the cars in the minority report movie, where you just tell it were to go and it does all the driving. When I get the chance ill find out the program name and post it here
    ----

Instantz no está en línea Stack level 3
    I seriously doubt that they will be able to really crack down on people who are texting and driving. I believe that texting while driving would be a second offense just like not wearing your seat-belt. So how would they really enforce this?
    -MOTO*DROID- *Verizon Wireless*

PIN/ID
    Ask me
    This isnt exactly the same article that i was reading but this is fairly interesting in regards to this discussion:
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,1130785,00.asp
    ----

bmanley no está en línea Stack level 4
    IL has a new ban going in on Jan 1 2010. Problem is they say you can still use the GPS in the phone. I could spend more time screwing with the GPS then texting. Cars are filled with things that keep the drivers eyes of the road and most poeple driving these days seem to have more to do then drive. That is why most also seem to drive like they are on the way to the ER. If poeple would just take time and slow down alittle bit we would all be in better shape.

LGillyBR no está en línea Stack level 1
    This is a terrible problem for new drivers. They have enough problem learning to drive. Every teen that I see has a phone glued to their thumb and are constantly texting with friends.
    Too many deaths associated with this problem.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12