Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looks like the Obama Administration, which really ought to be focused on getting Americans like ... Smartphone News forum

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

Safety: Obama Administration now looking to eliminate texting while driving

Advertisement

Looks like the Obama Administration, which really ought to be focused on getting Americans like me affordable health care (unless doctors now accept World of Warcraft Gold as payment, lol!), has set its sights on eliminating the scourge of distracted driving once and for all. Case in point: Transportation Sec. Ray LaHood is holding a summit this week that has the ultimate goal of “finding ways to eliminate texting while driving.”
    We’ve learned over the past few months that plenty of people admit to texting while driving, while at the same time seeing several studies indicating just how dangerous that actually is. We’ve implored y’all never to text and drive, but suffice it to say that not everyone reads our fine words.

via TechCrunch

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    He has to focus on something that will pass-lol. Because his health care "reform" he's trying to ram down our throats isn't going to fly.
    BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.231 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102

bmanley no está en línea Stack level 4
    If you want to ban texting in all states why don't they ban laptop use while driving? How many police cars, utility trucks and others have laptops they use while driving?

soljawitstripes no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by chokem View Post
    He has to focus on something that will pass-lol. Because his health care "reform" he's trying to ram down our throats isn't going to fly.
    My thoughts exactly!!
    BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.162 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT

Definitely, Agreed!!!!!
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

PIN/ID
    Retired
    I've never understood this mentality either. The only way to prove it would be to seize the device and process it as evidence like any other crime. I can only imagine the can of worms this will open.

As mentioned above what about people drinking pop, smoking, eating, talking to others in the car, combing their hair, putting on makeup, listening to a radio talk show that irritates you?

It's just not going to fix anything. Heck there are so many drivers who should not have a DL to begin with. They are just terrible drivers to begin with and it has nothing to do with texting.

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    Quote Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post
    I can only imagine the can of worms this will open.

As mentioned above what about people drinking pop, smoking, eating, talking to others in the car, combing their hair, putting on makeup, listening to a radio talk show that irritates you?

It's just not going to fix anything. Heck there are so many drivers who should not have a DL to begin with. They are just terrible drivers to begin with and it has nothing to do with texting.

So true!
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    It is a serious matter however. In one of the studies done. It shows that it is more dangerous to text and drive than it is to drink and drive. They make us wear seat-belts and I am sure this will pass too, because it is NOT a left or right argument it is something both parties want. Heck I am surprised there isn't some kind of law against driving while driving.

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    This law goes into effect tomorrow Oct 1 in Arkansas. While it may not be federal yet, we will have it in state.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    I agree. I just saw a study on the news and there was a ball balancing on the car while driving. Then the driver started to text and immediately the ball lost it's balance. The driver was veering off the road. Another test showed the driver texting and a red light came on suddenly and when the driver looked up they tried to stop but went off the road and caused a simulated crash. Everyone should pay attention while driving no matter what. You never know what could happen on your path.
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C144 Safari/528.16

goldengirl75 no está en línea Stack level 5
    How many drivers could get busted for texting while driving? Who knows, but I don't think you are going to see a significant change in driver attitude/behavior or an increase in warnings or tickets. I feel this is to enact an even standard across the nation, to give people legal recourse should they or someone get injured or killed if they are hit by someone who was texting while driving.

I'm sure there are many states that differ on how to handle the advances in technology and the age old dilemma of driver inattention. Some states probably don't even address the issue, but it is very apparent that this bad habit while driving is serious, and no different than driving after drinking. With federal intervention, there can be no more uncertainties on how each state should handle the matter and every victim(s) can proceed with legal action should they choose to do so.

bmay82 no está en línea Stack Professional
    AMEN brother!!!

PIN/ID
    Retired
    Texting should not be the focus. Being distracted should be. We would all be better served if the violations being cited (tickets) were "distracted driving" not just texting. Distracted Driving would cover pretty much anything inside the vehicle which caused the distraction which resulted in an accident. Banning "texting" only will not solve the problems.
    If a state bans "Texting" like Ark. they will be back next session (or at some point) addressing the real problem "Distracted Drivers".

It's crazy the amount of people who text while driving (I'm even guilty on occasion). I now drive for a living after being layed off for 9 months......Every other person I pass on the road is texting it's NUTS! Gonna be a hard one to get people to follow though....

Quote Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post
    Texting should not be the focus. Being distracted should be. We would all be better served if the violations being cited (tickets) were "distracted driving" not just texting. Distracted Driving would cover pretty much anything inside the vehicle which caused the distraction which resulted in an accident. Banning "texting" only will not solve the problems.
    If a state bans "Texting" like Ark. they will be back next session (or at some point) addressing the real problem "Distracted Drivers".
    lol.....ya I should of said it's crazy the amount of distracted drivers I see every day....that is so true....it's texting, eating, reaching for stuff in the floor, dialing a number, reading something(that kills me lol).....it's like they just don't think about consequences of any of that ( and once again I'm guilty of some of the above mentioned items)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast